Thursday, September 24, 2009

Surprised by Joy

We count age in funny ways. An infant is measured in days, then weeks, then months. Turning 1 is a big deal. Actually, when you're a kid, every birthday is a big deal. I still remember being just gobsmacked when I turned 10, walking around thinking "I'm a decade old" and feeling the weight, in a good way, of such a momentous achievement. But it starts to slow down. 16 is a big deal because you can drive. 18 because you can vote. 21 because you can legally buy beer. And then it slows down even more. It becomes largely about the 0 birthdays. The inbetween time, not so much. Turning 50 was, you'll recall, a big deal, with a 2 day party and a party dress and people like JP flying in from all over to celebrate. And it was an excellent celebration.

But as a rule, I don't go into a birthday with huge expectations. I like my birthday and it always feels special, but I don't care that there be any fuss. I count on a card from ChouChou (who's very faithful that way) and the 8:05am call from Dame Judi (equally faithful). I counted on my birthday dinner of weinerschnizel and spaetzle from The Spouse, until Seattle became too politically correct and it became impossible to find veal cutlets anywhere. So now I count on my birthday dinner of chicken parmesan. But that's all. I don't need cards and presents and emails.

So I was delightfully surprised by yesterday. The flow of fun messages on Facebook began early in the day. Then I got to work and MAB presented me with a breakfast of (unbelievably delicious) quiche Lorraine and a pear tart, with fresh coffee. Then she gave me a cute joke gift, followed by the most spectacular pair of rainboots you ever saw. (So spectacular that they will demand their own post, as soon as I get the picture my friend Kim took of me wearing them). There was a gift from my favorite social worker & cards from my favorite house guests. My favorite volunteer came by with Jonas Brother balloons. Kim gave me a superfantastic wine glass that is really more art than dishware. And at 2 o'clock we had pie.

At home I got a delightful phone call from my Poodle, The Neighbor made me a delicious celebratory cocktail and The Spouse delivered with the chicken parm.

It was a very fun day, all the more so because I didn't expect it. And it is, let's face it, just a very nice thing to be celebrated by your friends, to be shown that it matters to others that you were born. And it made me feel, yet again, extremely grateful for all the amazing people who come into my life and stay awhile.

Sometimes I feel so blessed I don't even know what to do with myself. Thank you God, for my amazing friends. Thank you, amazing friends, for your love.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

Yeah you're not too bad.... wink winker.

September 24, 2009 8:25 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Pie? Did someone say 'Pie?'


I'm glad it was a great day!

September 24, 2009 10:36 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

We love you, Rainey! :)

September 24, 2009 12:31 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Yes we do!!...Happy Birthday kid!

September 24, 2009 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Syd opined...

Happy (belated) Birthday! Now, how do I find you on Facebook, now that I've finally bowed to the inevitable?

September 24, 2009 2:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Apple pie with crumb topping, Anne. Ummer Yummers!

Love you too, MHP!

And you, Slingshot.

Yay! Syd's on Facebook! Just search for Lorraine Thomas. I should pop up.

September 24, 2009 5:48 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

...and did you play your concertina? Happy birthday Lorraine....you surely do need to be celebrated.

September 25, 2009 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home