Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Deep Sigh

There was a kerfuffle about my superfantastic job yesterday. You may recall that I have been in my post as a "temporary", only awaiting our "HR" department to post the position so I can apply for it permanently. Now, all along both MAB and I have known that there's a chance that I won't be able to apply. For why? you ask. Because in government jobs Veterans are always given priority. If there is a veteran out there possessed of all the same qualifications as myself, MAB would have to give serious consideration to the Veteran. Sure, most days we don't see that as likely but, in case you hadn't heard, the economy is bad so it often happens that so many Vets apply for a position that the applications of regular folks don't even see the light of day. Point is, we know that's a possibility. But what we also know is that until MAB has a permanent position to fill, she has to have someone in that post. And that someone is me.

It's all very complicated and stoopid but the aforementioned kerfuffle had to do with my temporary appointment ending on the 30th. And since the position hasn't posted yet ("HR" has been very busy; and to be fair, they've only known the position needed to post since May 2008. (Now you know why "HR" is in very snarky quotation marks)). So all a sudden I was unemployed as of tomorrow.

MAB was having none of it. She was in a 2 hour meeting yesterday and when she came back she had scored for me a 60 day extension and a promotion. And the promotion is the title and grade level of the job I seek. Meaning that when I apply I not only have 1 year of special experience in the position, but all the little numbers and strokes on the posted position will match the little numbers and strokes on my application. (Government is fond of little numbers and strokes). She also received assurances the job would post in plenty of time before the end of November.

Those of you of the praying persuasion are hereby formally encouraged to offer up prayers that when the time comes little Rainey will show up on the cert (govmint speak), thus giving her a fair shot at getting the position. Those of you of the naked pagan dance persuasion are encouraged to do the same.

I can't imagine not doing this job, which is as much a ministry of caring and compassion as it is anything else. If there is a Vet out there who can take it from me, so be it. (And I'd like to shake his/her hand before I go). But I was very sad to think I could be brought low by a classic government SNAFU and I'm very happy that MAB has the guts to wade into such a scenario and come out victorious.

Pie for everyone.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Dear, I do hope and pray you make the top on the cert list. In the mean time, pass the pie, I'll even have mine with whipped cream.

September 29, 2009 7:24 AM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

I'm going to do both: prayer and pagan dance, just to cover all the basics.

September 29, 2009 7:34 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Is there peanut butter and chocolate pie?

Keeping my fingers crossed..for the pie and your job.

September 29, 2009 8:57 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I'll pray really hard...and long. I hope this works out Lorraine because you have sounded bloghappier in the last months than ever before (at least for as long as i have been your blog friend).

September 29, 2009 8:59 AM  
Blogger happileah opined...

oh man, that sounds like allota of red-tape. I'll be dancing (fully clothed) & praying for you too. Hope the next 60 days are peaceful & not full of much anxiety for you.
xo.

September 29, 2009 9:00 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

don't get me started on HR... it really did function better when it was Personnel!!!!

You know I'm doing all sorts of strange things over this side of the earth to makes things turn out right on your side.

September 29, 2009 10:52 AM  
Blogger Grish opined...

You know I'll be pulling for ya'.!

September 29, 2009 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Uhhhh. Duhhhh. HR?

Her/His Royalnessess?

(I just love the littel slash his/her thingy cause it reminds me of the progress made in social justice.)

Peace

:+}

September 29, 2009 2:27 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Are we living parallel lives,or what?..My gub'ment job officially ended tomorrow as well,until fate stepped in and granted me another six months!
Wait..This isn't about me.
I'm thinkin' that some one who has actually been doing the job,has a natural advantage over someone who is merely qualified for the job.
I also know that you sincerely care about veterans,so speaking as one myself,I can't think of anyone better suited to work in our behalf.

September 29, 2009 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Syd opined...

Rainey, the hot-shot job-actuating mojo is headed your way as of ***whooooosh!!!*** now. You obviously handle the job superbly, so I'm of the not so humble opinion you should get it for reals. :D

About that pie...if there happens to be a double-crust apple pie made with huge chunks of Gravenstein apples layered with sugar and bits of butter, piled half again as high as the top edge of the pie plate (like my momma used to make), I might possibly be convinced to have a slice. Or three. A la mode. Otherwise...well, pumpkin is always nice... :)

September 29, 2009 10:03 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Cheers for MAB. Praying for your future success.

September 30, 2009 10:59 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I'm doing the naked pagan dance here! :) Much luck, Rainey. :)

September 30, 2009 6:05 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Oh my God, you have to deal with this kind of &$%* too?!??!?!?! It's official: HR is a joke wherever you go.

Believe you me: my prayers are with you!!!

October 02, 2009 3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home