Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just for You, Honey

This morning The Spouse woke me up and said, "Time to get up, honey. You need to go blog about your game".

Why he thinks the rest of you would give a mole rat about my game is beyond me but he so rarely asks me to blog about anything specific that I feel I must. So here's the thing: I'm addicted to a new game.

My gaming experience is limited. I'm pretty much either an arcade game sorta gal (Tetris, Bubbleshooter, Pathwords...like that) or I'm into things like "Sims", which for me is just about decorating houses I've built, hooking people up so I can throw them weddings and getting them to have babies while achieving enough cooking points that they can dine on Lobster Thermidor every night if they want. And I haven't even done that in months and months because my laptop doesn't really support the game.

When we got an Xbox at Christmas I regarded it as a present for The Spouse and generally that was true. Then he taught me how to play "Left 4 Dead", a game where you slay zombies. That was satisfying. But the game only has 4 maps and after a while it was pretty much the same game every time. Then he showed me how to play "Fallout 3".

O my yord.

It's all over now.

"Fallout 3" takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. It's a first person shooter game; you create a character and escape "The Vault" only to find a bleak landscape through which you must travel to find safe havens. On the way you accept various quests, which lead you out to discover more of a huge map. There are good guys and bad guys. Your choices influence your karma. Your karma begins to dictate your experience (certain bad guys start to chase you, other characters befriend you (or not) because of your goodness (or badness, I suppose, but I'm going for the good karma). On your travels you pick up weapons and schtuff (that you can use yourself or sell for bottle caps - the coin of the realm, as it were). If you disarm a bomb in one town they reward you with a house which you can then decorate with certain themes (mine is pre-war...very retro). You collect bobbleheads. It is, in short, just about as dense a game as anything I've ever played. There's no set path you have to travel so each gamer's experience is going to be a little different from everyone else's.

It is thoroughly addicting. Hours pass before you realize it. Saturday morning I thought I'd play for an hour before going out to run my errands. 5 hours and still in my jammies later I had to force myself to stop, only to get back on the box as soon as I got home. Conservatively I'd say I've spent 24 hours playing this game and I'm only on level 7. I don't even know how many levels there are.

I have a couple of big challenges (besides just turning off the demmed console). One is that I'm not a very good shot and some creatures are really hard to take down. I prefer to go out into the Wasteland with a flame thrower...that seems to take care of everything from mad Brahmin cows to Mirelurks but I never have enough fuel to just flame through the world. The other challenge is that every structure, cave or tunnel I find is a freaking warren and I get veryvery lost (even though I have a Pipboy which, among myriad other things, contains maps). Inevitably I have to ask The Spouse to come guide me and then am blown away by his memory..."turn left, schooch around that ruined train car, hop up there, turn right"....his memory of that game map is encyclopedic, let me tell you.

Anymutant, it's just about much fun as a person can have with her clothes on and despite the fact that I sometimes have a fleeting thought along the lines of "Geez, if you have this much spare time maybe you could finally crack open that copy of War and Peace and do something useful with yourself" I expect I'll keep playing until I have discovered the whole map, finished every quest and earned a million bottle caps. I also want to collect all the bobbleheads. They're cute.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Bad Alice opined...

That does make our Wii Endless Ocean game look a bit tame.

Dammit, I want to blow away some bad guys.

May 13, 2009 7:25 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I'm still addicted to spiderling on my cell phone. no xbox at my house.

thank goodness.

May 13, 2009 7:28 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

No XBox here....I'd probably fall or do some other physical thing because I'm clumsy with air and stuff....but, good for you....while there have been studies that say games don't help brain function, I disagree. Playing Sudoku has really made a difference with my concentration and math skills......seriously.

May 13, 2009 7:56 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

When you close your eyes to go to sleep at night do you see the game?
I try not to start any new games because I need to sleep and get things done. I get hooked way too easy.

May 13, 2009 7:59 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Technicaly this is a Role Playing game not a first person shooter becaue you advance a character.
Think World of Warcraft but without guilds and an online component.
Thanks honey.

AnyMutant hee hee

May 13, 2009 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My problem with gaming is that then when I go out into the real world I feel like it should be acceptable to shoot people or run over them when they get in my way.

May 13, 2009 8:36 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Okay, now I know we have to play Speed Scrabble AND Tetris.

I missed 1989 playing Tetris.

Oh My Yord.

May 13, 2009 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Syd opined...

"War and Peace" is probably far less entertaining, frankly.

I am also XBox-less...but I'm tempted to buy the game for PC and see what happens...

May 13, 2009 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Hhhhmmmm. MMORPG. Now thats the word. Massively multyplayer online roleplaying game. WOW. World of Warcraft. My 80 warrior can take down your 80 warrior anytime, or for that matter my 80 priest can out heal yours anytime either. Na na na na na.

Of course you'll probably stop at the RPG but in the event you don't there is a whole new world out there on the web, and yes you can connect your X-Box to the web as well. Microsoft live.

I have a guild which has bunches of Europeans in it which is cool as long as we can get our times right for raiding and the such. But I enjoy the Aussies too, theres lots of them on.

Peace

:+}

May 13, 2009 12:00 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I love this game. Of course I play the PC version but I'm sure it's very similar.

May 13, 2009 4:12 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I'm just not smart enough for that complicated of a game. I play free cell and scrabble. That seems to be enough for me.

May 13, 2009 4:45 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Wow, I thought my Word Twist addiction was bad--this is the epitome of video game addiction--and nerddom! *LOL* I can joke about it because I'm a nerd, too, see. :)

May 13, 2009 6:06 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I hope this doesn't interfere with your 'Guitar Hero' rockage.

May 13, 2009 6:17 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

There's a whole chapter on mad Brahmin cows in War & Peace, you know.

Sounds like a cool game... but I've stayed well away from such things since I was about 18/19, because I have a VERY obsessive personality and I know I'd NEVER be able to tear myself away from the fiendish stuff that's released these days.

May 14, 2009 5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home