Friday, May 15, 2009

Forget La Bamba


The Child had begged me to watch "Selena", the bio-pic of the late tejena singer, played by Jennifer Lopez. At this time of her life it is even more important that I try to be available to these sorts of requests for the simple reason that spending time with dear ol' mum is not exactly high on her list of Fun Things. And The Spouse has been in bed the last two days with the latest mutation of his not-swine flu so it seemed like a good chick thing to do.

Must say, I was thoroughly entertained. I officially take back nearly everything I've ever said about Jennifer Lopez. Added bonus: Edward James Almos plays her father. Loves me some Eddie.

Selena was a breakthrough artist, the first woman to ever go gold singing tejena. At the time of her death she was finishing up a cross-over album (in English) that would no doubt have sent her into the stratosphere with a whole new audience. Girl had some pipes. There were some very pretty ballad-y songs on her last album (no really great videos, though, for obvious reasons) but I like to think that wouldn't have been the niche she'd have sought. Especially working with her rocker husband, Chris Perez, I'd like to think that she would have ended up headed more toward rock than pop. Sadly, we'll never know.





Selena "Amor Prohibido"

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Thanks again. Always nice to hear different stuff.

Ya, talk about a poor reason to get killed. Sssoooo wierd.

Have a happy Friday and my best to Super Spouse to get well soon.

Peace

:+}

May 15, 2009 8:46 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I liked Selena's Spanish sound....and while I don't think Jennifer Lopez can carry a tune in a bucket, I love her movies....even Monster-In-Law. Did you see Enough? I like Christina Aguilara's Spanish album too....beautiful old love songs.

May 15, 2009 11:00 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

She was pretty awesome.
Even I watched that movie several times,and not for J-Lo,but for the music.

May 15, 2009 6:04 PM  
Blogger Kendall opined...

Loved that movie, J-Lo's only decent acting role in a long career of duds!

May 17, 2009 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home