Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Things that Make You Go "Huh?"

This is just fascinating.

You don't have time to read the article? Fine. Some woman in Ireland has a following on Twitter (6,000 before today's article) to whom she sends recipes. I don't Twitter, but a "tweet" is limited to 140 characters. That's right: think about it. This woman reduces complex international dishes to 140 characters. According to the Times author, they are delicious recipes. Kids, I couldn't tell you how to make coffee in 140 characters. This is quite an achievement, considering that they do, in fact, work. Really, you should read the article.

But the thing that smacked my gobs wasn't the fascinating process of reducing deliciousness to a minimum of symbols nor the attendant challenge of unpacking them in your kitchen to make dinner. (It goes without saying you'd have to have to solid cooking basics in your possession to decipher her tweets). No. It was this line:

"It’s attracted a bizarre amount of attention relative to what I consider my serious work,” she said, meaning her life as a poet, writer and anarchist. “Which perhaps is an indication that we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously.”

Anarchist? That pretty, smiling chickey poo standing in a dress @ her stove?

Every anarchist I've ever encountered wore black, sported heavy, threatening looking shoes and scowled a lot. Anarchists are, in my experience, heartbreakingly serious and angry. I think anarchist and picture flaming Molotov cocktails, kicking in Starbucks windows during WTO protests and very bad haircuts. (I also never thought of anarchy as a career path. What's that pay, anyhow? Do you get health and dental with that? Stock options?)

This article blew my delighted little mind on at least two levels. That's a nice way to start the day.




Coffee:Grind 1/4c beans/put in basket/add 10c H2O/press start button/wait.

OK, maybe I could tweet a coffee recipe. But still. I just hope, with all my heart, that if someone convinces her to publish a cookbook it is the size of a cell phone.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

I love it..I just added her to my twitterhood. I might have to look up anarchist..did I spell it right?

April 22, 2009 7:43 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Do I really have to twitter now? I just got on Facebook.

April 22, 2009 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Dammit, I was going to give you a coffee recipe with less than 140 characters.

Stupid same brain.

April 22, 2009 8:35 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

"Smacked my gobs"

VERY clever! Thank you, Miss Boyle.

April 22, 2009 10:20 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

I will not Twitter - not even for a 140 character recipe. Interesting though.

April 22, 2009 4:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sage, is it appropriate to call people who Twitter "twits"? Prolly not.

Oh hell no, Anne. I need someone else in my life who doesn't Twitter.

BTW, JP, I need to borrow the brain this weekend, 'k?

Leave it to you, Buck, to pull out that bit. And also, for the record, I do not (yet) have a double chin and I have been kissed. Just sayin'.

Come stand over here with me and Anne, Wills.

April 22, 2009 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home