Thursday, April 09, 2009

How May I Help You?

It's not often that I have call to rave about an experience with a company call center but today I'm gonna.

I manage the content for the house website. Just getting the website into a form that makes sense for it's numerous uses (information, story telling and fundraising) has been a challenge, partly because I've been working with a web designer who has been doing this as a volunteer. Ouch. But we finally have the templates where I want them and now it's up to me to add the pages and content that will take the site from a vision to a reality. There's a lot of work ahead (including adjusting a picture the second I get to the office today because I just saw what it looks like on a little monitor) but it will be fun. Lots of writing (which I love) and just enough geeky stuff to keep that side of my brain from atrophy.

That said, yesterday I needed to add a Paypal button to the site. Easier said than done, primarily because the software I use doesn't show me the html. Most of the time I don't need to see code. I'd rather not; I'm not that much of a geek. But in this case, I couldn't figure out how to make the string of code Paypal gave me turn into a button on the site. I called Paypal and they were all, "Uh, ma'am, we don't do that sort of thing". So I called Adobe, makers of "Contribute", which is the software I use.

First I talked to "Georgia", who swiftly turned me over to "Amy". (Those are not their real names. Neither were the names they gave me because I don't know a lot but I'm pretty sure DeAnn and Beth aren't common Hindu names. (And yes, JP, I almost taped the conversation to send to you and Smay)). Now I admit, I have big problems with call centers in India. Big problems. Politically, economically, and frankly, just from a plain old customer service point of view. I want to talk to a person who has a command of the same language I speak (selfish like that) and who actually understands my problem and is not just reading from a script. Fortunately, yesterday that was exactly what I got.

"Amy" knew her stuff and she led me through all my options until we found a solution that worked. (And let me tell you, the final solution was way, way more techie than anything I would have ever thought myself capable of, let alone accomplished with the assistance of someone in an off-shore call center). "Amy" stayed with me through the whole process and voila! there was my Paypal button. And it works. It was superfantastic.

Then I made some changes to the home page. Without any help.

Then I pretty much spent the rest of the day playing with MAB because sometimes we work really hard and sometimes we need to make scrapbook pages.

I have a great job.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Hey, you and I do pretty much the same job. I have a love/hate relationship with Contribute. There are times I would like to get in there and see what the bleep is going on, even with my very basic understanding of code and other times when I'm grateful I can't dislodge the basic layout. I did finally master the code snippet function. How joyous I was when I found out about it. And then I found a free place to put audio files and life was good.

April 09, 2009 7:22 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

May I make a comment?

I would change "Can house..." to "Can accomodate..." because you've been talking about house as a noun and then all the sudden you're using it as a verb. It threw me off at first.

But, that's just me.

April 09, 2009 9:24 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Oh, duh, that was on the vital stats page of you superfantastic web site.

April 09, 2009 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The website looks great!

And I just snorted as I remembered Smay doing his "Brian" voice.

April 09, 2009 11:00 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

OOOhhh...tell me more about the free place to put audio files. Seriously, email me.

Good thing I read your second comment before I grabbed a dusty dictionary to throw at you, Anne.

Thanks, Poodle. Lots and lots left to do but it's a start. And yeah, I almost started choking when "DeAnne" first answered the phone.

April 09, 2009 11:18 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

'How may I help you?'..
..seems like that should be one of the first phrases one learns when studying a 'foreign' language.
I mean,..I can inquire about the location of the library in Spanish,and even find a convenient train station in German.
Hell,..I can get laid in French if I've a mind to,..but I'm thinkin' it would be something to reach out a helping hand,and have my intentions understood,just about anyplace.
Sorry..It's Easter Tide,and I've been drinking a little.

April 09, 2009 10:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

You go, girl! I can't even remember what html stands for so youre several up on me!

Have a great weekend, Lorraine!

April 10, 2009 4:42 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, wax thoughtful and poetic around here anytime you like.

Greeny! How you doin', doll?

April 10, 2009 6:14 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

That's why I like my job--I work hard to make my customers happy--I want them to walk away with a pleasant experience, just like you did. :)

April 10, 2009 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home