Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Got Ham?

Easter was lovely, thanks. Rained like a son-of-a-gun, prompting The Child to crack wise with the ark jokes, but still. We all went to the Easter Vigil, which meant that we could leave some room for the C&E Christians on Easter morning, which further meant that we had a long, lovely leisurely day before needed to prepare the Easter feast. It was a very good strategery and one that will be repeated in years to come. We planned on 12 for dinner and were 9 instead, meaning that there is a plethora of ham in the freezer.

And I, having refrained from sweety treats for 40 days and 40 nights very much enjoyed the triple coconut cream pie.

Yesterday was the beginning of Easter break for The Child and The Spouse had also arranged to have the day off. When I returned home from work they had restored the living/dining room to order, cleaned the kitchen, stowed the left-over ham AND The Spouse was busily preparing a big pot o' chicken cacciatore and risotto for dinner.

I told him I was gonna have to buy him somethin' pretty.


In other news, I would like to make some remarks regarding pirates:

Hi, pirates. Rumor has it you are a little miffed that the US retrieved one of her captains by shooting to death 3 pirates. Now you're saying that you aren't going to play nice anymore when you take Americans hostage. Because apparently holding people for ransom is the civilized thing to do. Um, hello? You're pirates. Taking anyone hostage for any reason is an act of provocation. That's a big word so let me explain it this way: You started it. You don't want to be shot at? Stop taking people hostage. For that matter, stop being pirates.

Oh, and another thing, pirates. You've seen our ships. You've what kind of shots those Navy Seals are. I know you've got this pirate-y image to uphold and everything but if I were you and I saw a ship running with American colors, I'd pretend I didn't see it, gently hum a sea shanty while looking the other way and keep on sailing.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

I'll take some ham, we had Easter steak for dinner.

But I won't hold it hostage.

April 14, 2009 6:58 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Ham would be nice! We had lamb which sounds the same but tastes way different.

Love it C& E Christians ... for a minute I saw C of E and was going to say hey what's the matter with us Church of England types? Need to get these damned glasses changed.

April 14, 2009 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Pirates still exist?

They need to get real jobs. There's no buried treasures out there anyway.

April 14, 2009 7:45 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

What a great husband you have. I love left over ham.

I am not a fan of pirates..except Johnny Depp.

April 14, 2009 7:55 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

OMG - Besides mince pie, coconut cream is my absolutest favorite. We must make pie sometime.

April 14, 2009 8:00 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

We were flying home all day Easter. I had peanuts and diet coke for Easter dinner. Please send ham.

April 14, 2009 10:46 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I wish I had some ham....I made myself a pork roast. As for those pirates...argh....give the crew guns and let's see who wins. Question....where does all the booty go that they have taken...and the ransom money?

April 14, 2009 11:39 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Am I too late for ham??
Fine then.
I'll just take some o' those leftover devilled eggs...I know you're hiding them.
------------------------------------
'Pirates,..I'd like you to meet the U.S.Navy Seals'..

'Navy Seals,..Pirates'.

..Now that everyone has been properly introduced..

April 14, 2009 1:37 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

So, what did you buy him? Sparkly pretty or high tech pretty? Ohh or edible pretty oooohhhh or drinkable pretty?

April 15, 2009 1:18 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And that, dear Anne, is why you would make a lousy pirate.

Indeed, Wills, very poetical in fact. And while I enjoy a nice bit of lamb, nothing better than some of that ol' pig haunch, I say.

Tee. Of course, I used to be a C&E Christian myself so I don't grudge them their time. But it did make me happy to think that while they were jockeying for pew positions, I was enjoying my hot cross bun and coffee, still all glowy from a very special service the night before.

They aren't the cute ones, JP. That's what makes them so particularly useless.

Sage, yeah, he really will do in a pinch, that Spouse o' mine. And personally, I have no use for any pirates that don't look like Johnny Depp either.

Buck, this isn't one I make...comes from one of Tom Douglass' restaurants. But oh, lord is it heaven or what?

Mom, that is a very sad, sad story and I'm going to be weeping the whole time I'm making up your ham packet.

Rosie, I don't know exactly...I don't think pirates use banks. But I do know that my little pacifist heart did an uncharacteristic "whoopee" when I heard about those Navy Seals. Here's some ham.

Sling, I almost wish I'd been there to see it...3 perfect shots at exactly the right time? Damn. If I were a Somali pirate I'm pretty sure now would be the time that I'd be thinking about a new career path.

Nic, something fermented pretty. He's easy like that.

April 15, 2009 7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home