Thursday, March 26, 2009

38,000

For two people who'd been up drinking sipping wine and talking until the wee hours, you'd think JP and I would have been slow to start. You'd be wrong. We dusted off his coffee maker and had some restorative brew. I also have a vague recollection of toast. Then we were out the door because we had things to do.


We had to go to Italy

and visit a shrine to the 12 lords of Kobol and pay homage to the hybrid.

(And those last 2 things won't matter to you because you don't watch "Battlestar Galactica" but we do. Or did).

We had a very tasty quiche at Delice, one of JP's favorite haunts and found a beautiful dress, for me, at Nouvelle Eve. They seem to get a little French in Omaha, actually.


I posed in front of the great blue orb of Omaha and then we had to scamper because JP had arranged for me to get a hair cut, which -as you can see- I badly needed. This also gave me occasion to take some photographs of the lobby of the Paxton Hotel, which used to be a grand place of hostelry and now is mostly business on the ground and apartments above.




A girl can get a very good haircut in Omaha for only $35, btw. Almost reason enough to live there.


I have not mentioned it but there was an undercurrent all day of excitement that teetered between fear and joy. The whole point of my visit, you'll remember, was to watch the series finale of "Battlestar Galactica" and this was the day. So even as we scampered about and joked and talked and shopped and all that, we were mostly doing things like counting down the time and talking about "what"...."what if it breaks our hearts"...."what if it's the best 2 hours on television ever"...."what do you think will happen with..." So many questions remaining and so little time to answer them.


Back at the flat we alternately admired my new do and prepared dinner while watching the "Behind the Scenes" special for BSG. Then the champagn-ya was popped and the moment we'd been simultaneously anticipating and dreading arrived.









There will not be a review because we realize we are the only ones in our neck of Blogtopia who would care and we've already reviewed it for ourselves. Suffice to say we were entertained, surprised and fundamentally satisfied. Except about Kara. What the H?

Moving on.

We were somewhat excitable after the finale so JP decided to show me his "bar", which was not the "bar" I'd always imagined but far more of a "club". Still, there were cosmos and lights in the trees and pool tables. We played 3 games, I think. JP was far superior to me, actually managing to sink intended balls and do so with the sort of skill one associates with Cool Hand Luke some iconic pool hustler. (He claims that I actually used the 1 ball as the cue ball but I deny it. I also, alternatively, suggest to you that yellow can easily read white in night club lighting).

Then something happened. You know how you have those occasional moments of clarity? The times when you realize you are fully present in the moment? Well, I had one there at the Max, over the pool tables while, ironically, listening to Vanessa Hudgens' "Sneakernight". In some way I can barely explain, I plugged back into myself. I had been so stressed and anxious about so much in the last weeks leading up to this trip. Everything was focused on my various roles and the ways in which I was (or deemed myself not to be) fulfilling them. But there I was, bopping to music and shooting pool and drinking cosmos and laughing with one of my best friends ever after watching the end of the greatest show ever on television on a crisp and beautiful night in a place not my home but familiar and suddenly I felt truly myself again. And if nothing else happened for the rest of the weekend that was going to be enough.

















Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Must resist urge to correct....can't hold out...ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

Not cool hand luke, Fast Eddie Felson.


Sorry

March 26, 2009 8:39 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Didn't cool hand luke eat eggs? JP must have had gas all night.
Anysmartyass, I love the new haircut! Also if I ever go to Omaha will JP get me a 35 dollar haircut too...that is amazing.

March 26, 2009 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Speaking of hair, you should've told me to run a comb through mine before posing for pictures in The Garden of the 12 Tribes. You'd think I'd been up drinking till 3 am.

And I really hope Eric laughed about our Cylon hybrid joke, because that is funny, in a really geeky way.

March 26, 2009 9:59 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Pft, whatever, pft again.

Sage, yeah, I really think that Omaha is the new Mecca for hair.

Poodle, it was windy, remember? And I'm sure he missed the geeky but terribly funny joke altogether because he was entirely too focused on finding fault. It's what he does.

March 26, 2009 10:18 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

The photos of you and JP watching BSG so very intently - - A-DOR-A-BLE!

March 26, 2009 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Must see more closeups of the final product of your trip to the salon!

March 26, 2009 1:04 PM  
Blogger Nicole opined...

good hair indeed. you look like you're about 25 in that last picture

March 26, 2009 1:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Buck, I know, right?

Minogue, there's some good ones coming up from the fete on Saturday.

Nicole, I'm buying you a cocktail or something for THAT remark.

March 26, 2009 1:45 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

Um-Lorraine & JP are gorgeous :)

March 26, 2009 4:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No, Leah, you are.

March 26, 2009 7:43 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ok, we kinda are. It's because we lurve each other.

March 26, 2009 7:44 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

So, I'm sitting here scrolling through your day and I see you under the great blue orb and the first thought is: wow rainy, you're letting your hair get long and it's looking good, and wham, the next I know you're off to get it cut. Then you didn't even put up a good shot of the new do.

life is so unfair.

March 27, 2009 6:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Either life is unfair or I'm a lousy storyteller, Anne. Not sure which.

March 27, 2009 6:37 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Sigh...it just sounds like such a great time and such a beautiful moment of clarity for you. :)

And just so you know, I am SO itching for a vacation now. :)

March 27, 2009 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home