Sunday, March 29, 2009

Saturday in Omaha, Part 1

My Saturday in Omaha, which was now over a week ago but still doesn't seem like it, was of 2 parts. There was the day part and then there was the evening part. We'll start with the day part.

Have I mentioned that I slept like a baby in Omaha? That's important because it's been so frakking long since I slept through the night and there I was, in a bed not my own, in a place not my own, in a time zone not my own and I. Slept. Like. A. Baby. Every demmed night. It was awe.some.

We hadn't stayed up quite as late on Friday night so I believe we got up a little earlier in the morning. We took our time, drinking coffee and giggling and listening to music. I forgot to mention that we had a soundtrack for the weekend, a play list JP put together just pour moi, a list comprised of some 200 songs that he either knew I liked or knew I would like. Girls, this is the sort of thoughtfulness you look for in a man. And if it turns out he's gay, well, you keep him anyway...for those weekends when you need to get away. Trust me.

So we had our morning and then we went out because I had to get presents for everyone. Snob that I am, I joked to the home folks that I'd bring them back "something made of steak". Ha ha, very funny. 'Cept my big slap-o-the-side-o-the-head was that Omaha is, in fact, the ONLY city I've ever been in which actually doesn't do much in the way of tourism. Oh, I'm sure they'd like to..."come see our fantastic zoo!"...."wrestle wild animals in front of the Mutual of Omaha building while I stand here and talk about it"...."eat a steak!"....but it hit me, out there on the lovely streets of the Old Market, that the paucity of key rings made of steak owes to the fact that Omaha is the only major city I've ever been to that seems to exist only for the people who actually live there and not the tourists who may come to visit. That's a unique thing. They could market that.

'K. So we're shopping and I'm not buying things made of steak and it is, btw, absolutely gorgeous out. Like, 70 degrees. And how crazy is that, I'm thinking, that I had to go to Omaha to get anything remotely resembling spring?

We walked around and I took lots of pictures and then we hooked up with his mom and dad for a little lunch.

JP's folks are terrific. Mom Judy is a bubbly, talkative hugger. Dad Skip...well, let's just say that now I know the origins of JP's smartassery. They were delightful, telling us about their recent trip to Hawaii and admiring phone photos of my family. We went out for steak and it was quite delicious and beefy, although Skip kept telling me that he woulda done it better so next time he's grilling.
It was a big steak. I took half of it home. The brew pub in which the steak was got had playing cards stuck to the ceiling. That amused me.After a fine lunch, and the last of my souvenir purchases, we sauntered back to the apartment to look at video of the 'rents riding zip lines through lush Hawaiian valleys and then went up to the roof to chat in the sunshine.

Iowa, it turns out, is very close to the Omaha part of Nebraska. That's it in the background.But we didn't go there because I needed a nap and JP needed to go to the store, both in preparation for the evening part of our Saturday.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

What kind of sauce was on that steak? Looks yummy.

March 30, 2009 7:51 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Playing cards? OK, A- Why? And B- How??

Oh, nice looking steak by the way. How nice you got to meet the folks too on top of everything else!

March 30, 2009 8:50 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

In the 70's. Omaha. JP and Lorraine. Family time. good food and friends. Perfect.

March 30, 2009 9:05 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm not sure, Anne. They have a thing for pink sauce in Omaha. Pink salad dressing, pink steak sauce. I never did get to the bottom of that mystery. Not that the steak needed sauce. Oh, and the horseradish mashed potatoes were to die for!

Dora, a) because and b) no frakking idea. And yes, it's nice to meet the trees from which the apple didn't fall far.

Agreed, Rosie. Pretty much perfect.

March 30, 2009 9:08 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

wow how very cool, steak, playing cards on ceilings and a play list sounds like heaven...70 degrees is cold for the though. I would have had a parka on.

March 30, 2009 9:27 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Cold, Sage? Man, you have NOT been anywhere but SoCal lately, have you?

March 30, 2009 11:20 AM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

I want a steak with pink sauce.

March 30, 2009 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Psst... I think you have some food in your teeth.

March 30, 2009 1:57 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Look how adorable JP and the folks are!..I hope the Iowanians don't get any ideas about invading Omaha.

March 30, 2009 3:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Salad with pink sauce is very good, too, BA.

(sticks tongue up in teeth and fails yet again to dislodge steak...concedes that flossing may be in order)

Right? They are the cutest little family. I heart them.

March 30, 2009 3:58 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I LOVE the idea of pink sauce on steak--Buck can tell you that I'm really really into MOIST food. If it's dry, I don't want it. :)

Also, it's very interesting to learn about Omaha through your eyes--thanks for sharing. :)

March 30, 2009 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Hhhhmmmm. Since you left they have had one blizzard and are now expecting another. Mayhaps they should ask you to return?

Peace

:+}

March 30, 2009 9:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP, the thing I really need to do is get JP to send me some of the pink sauce they put on salad. Because that sh*& was the best thing evah. And then I'd share some with you.

Anonyba, it would appear so...lordy...they had a tornado warning a couple days after I left. But there wasn't a smitch of extreme weatherness the whole time I was there.

March 30, 2009 9:37 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Oh, please do share that pink salad sauce with me! I want some now! *smiles*

April 01, 2009 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home