Thursday, March 26, 2009

Odds & Ends from the Album

I forgot what freaks you people are about hair. Let's get this out of the way.

There'll be more later. That's just going to have to hold you.



I will tell you something quite truthfully. I'm feeling a little homesick.

I miss Omaha.

I miss my Poodle.

Let's look at this objectively. Let's say I just went to Omaha on an average weekend and let's say there was no "Battlestar", no Minogue (because she was busy), no haircut, no shopping, no dining out, no any of the other going out stuff that happened. Let's say I just went for the weekend and we didn't do anything but hang out in the apartment.

(puts index finger on chin and gets dreamy look on face, considering)

Yep. I'd still be feeling this way. I get this way about other places as well. When someone gets into your heart the place where they are takes on its own kind of magic. The mere mention of, oh, say Chicago or Otown and I suddenly want to be on the Balcony of Terror with Buck or the front porch with Sling. Because these people are my dear friends and even though we are in touch through various means all the time, sometimes you just miss being with a person.

So there.

Here are some random shots left from last Friday night. After the bar JP took me up to the roof of his building to look at the lights. This, btw, is as cosmopolitan as Omaha is ever going to look.


My handsome boy:
My handsome boy getting tired of posing for me:


I was fascinated by JP's apartment building, which in its first life had been a macaroni factory. I adore macaroni.





Since Omaha was close to the duram wheat supply, the Skinner macaroni plant was one of the leading producers of macaroni and cereal products. During WWI they conserved wheat by making something called "Kornroni", a hybrid corn-wheat product. In 1927 the company introduced "Cheesroni", one of the first efforts at mac & cheese in a box. I'll bet you didn't know that.
But she did:


Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

Very cool..I love the apartment building it is so cool looking.

March 27, 2009 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You know more about my building than I do.

March 27, 2009 8:31 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

1) The hair looks wondermous!
b) The sun is shining,the temps are expected to get into the 80's,and the porch is sadly empty of dear friend's. (sigh).
3) JP is just gonna have to get used to the paparazzi.
4) I want to play with all those cool guages and stuff in JP's building!
next)..I thought my mom invented macaroni and cheese??

March 27, 2009 9:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sage, and there's a pipe in everyone's apartment that flows with mac and cheese.



That's a lie.


But wouldn't it be cool?

Poodle, that Old Market brochure I picked up had the history of some of the restored buildings, including yours. Cool, huh?

Sling, 1) thank you, 2) sigh, 3) right? They are way awesome, next) shhhh...there are moms all over the world that need not know about the Skinner Macaroni Factory.

March 27, 2009 12:19 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I LOVE the hair! (fanning my face).

I have incredibly warm memories of Seattle. I can't watch Frasier without getting all oogie.

BTW - I will have a Balcony of Even More Terror in June.

March 27, 2009 3:02 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

the hair looks great - and so does the lady in it!

Love the apartment and those old signs. And I'm going to join Sling in setting some of those valves and pipes and mechanical things!

March 27, 2009 4:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

We miss you here in Chicago!!

But glad you had fun in Omaha.

And your hair looks great! :)

March 27, 2009 5:01 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

And a good time was indeed had by all! I'm so pleased you had such a grand time. Mom type people need to get out and have fun solo once in a while!

March 28, 2009 5:18 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad, MHP, because then you won't run away and hide when I come back.

Indeed, Cuz...and I haven't even told all my stories yet!

March 28, 2009 6:11 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Buck, what????? Are you messing with my nostalgia?

Thank you, Wills (smiles sweetly)

March 28, 2009 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home