Monday, March 09, 2009

Slow But Steady Wins the Race

One of the things we do every night at dinner is "The Test". "The Test" appears on the comics/word search/crossword page of the Seattle Times. There are 3 levels, 3 questions in each level, with subjects that vary each day from geography to science to literature to pop culture...you get the drift. The Spouse reads the questions, The Child and I compete to answer them. There's a whole liturgical rigamarole around this which we need not get into. Suffice to say, if the questions regard Henry VIII and his six wives, mama be a'slam dunkin'.

So last night we finished the quiz and then, sneaky clever parentals that we are, we invited The Child to quiz us (short hand for "go over some of the stuff you need to review for school so that you freaking end up graduating and setting yourself on a life path isn't summed up in the phrase, 'Welcome to Walmart').

She warmed up with some riddles. One of them began with "A cowboy rides into town"... which inspired The Spouse to interrupt with a drawled, "A dawg rides into town"... The Child looked confused and I start to giggle because this is the old "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my pa" joke but then, in lighting flash with no prompting from any other quarter I go, "OH!" and start laughing hysterically.

Because for the first time in 51 years...51 freaking years, people!...I actually got the joke.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

lol!!!


can't...

hit...

"publish"...

laughing...

too ...

hard

March 10, 2009 7:11 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Quick, someone hand me a paper bag...I think Anne is hyperventilating!

March 10, 2009 7:37 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I think I probably have the same look The Child had on her face.

March 10, 2009 7:52 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

I'm sitting at the table with Sage with an even more perplexed look on my face than normal.

March 10, 2009 8:57 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

AHAHAHA!..:)
Sage,..tell this joke to Homer.
I'll bet he gives you a high-five.

March 10, 2009 9:15 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Man you got it wrong. The joke starts out, "The three legged dog rides into town...."

March 10, 2009 9:30 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I can just picture yall at the table. Awwww.

March 11, 2009 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home