Friday, February 20, 2009

I Gotta Get Dressed

So many ideas for songs today...and they were either "embed disabled" or not even out there. (How does THAT happen...I wasn't looking for anything by Prince).

Oh, and this has been a hell of a week parenting-wise, btw...back to the "holy frak have we ever blown it with this kid" feeling which was all mitigated last night by a her telling me, vaguely, of a "situation" at school with some of her "friends" who appear to be doing what high school girls do best. (Let's have a show of hands here, and pardon me, dudes, but I believe this is a uniquely chick thing - How many of you had at least one of those "We want to be your friend but we would like you better if you (insert the behavior/character trait/fashion note they cited here)"? What is it with girls being the self-improvement police for others? And how is it that even the most legitimate of critiques in the mouth of a 14-24 year old girl/woman can't help but be snarky? Is it excess of estrogen? Oy vey).

And there is The Child, trying hard to be brave and me wanting to smash heads together even as I know that it's something that just about every girl has experienced at some point, which doesn't make it right, of course, but does tell me that she'll survive this, too. And after a week of ignoring me, distaining me, rolling her eyes at me (doesn't that start to hurt after a while?) and yelling, last night I told her "We can learn something from every experience. If there are things for you to learn in this, do it. But stay true to yourself". And at least she looked at me.



Allison Krause "When You Say Nothing at All"

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Oh man, I feel you.

"sniveling gits" —love that tag!

February 20, 2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

I'm glad there's some light at the end of that particular tunnel. I was talking with Dora earlier this week and I have to hand it to you and her. I don't know how you do it, I am filled with honestly admiration.

And thanks for the song - again one I hadn't thought of or heard in a while. It was a good time to listen to it.

Baci di Roma

February 20, 2009 9:29 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Teenage girls are all afraid that they aren't good enough. They have to put each other down to make themselves feel better. They can be so mean. Your answer was great.
Nice song.

February 20, 2009 12:01 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm hoping that The Child discovers that,in the end,not being in the 'in-crowd' is one of the most satisfying personal experiences one can have..
Let the little wannabes waste their youth on trying to fit in.
..Allison sings so beautifully,that I'd swear she was Irish!

February 20, 2009 12:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Knew you would, Anne.

Dora & I've earned those damn tiaras, haven't we, Wills?

And I think the worst thing, Mom, is knowing how easy it will be for The Child to enter in when it's someone else's turn to be "improved".

The worst of it, Sling, is that this isn't about "in crowd" stuff so much as "her crowd"....even more painful. Really, I pretty much played Allison for you. I think you should date her.

February 20, 2009 1:09 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I feel your pain Cuz-

I guess I'm lucky she genuinely doesn't give a rats ass what anyone thinks (including us these days) about her. But having a child pour gas on her thus far spotless academic career and GPA and light a match ain't a parental picnic either.

Keep breathing deeply, and make sure the liquor cabinet stays stocked.

February 21, 2009 4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha

Paradise was surreal yesterday.

No wind, people in t-shirts or less, 5 - 10 feet of snow.

Awesome. Enjoy.

P L H & B T

:+}

February 21, 2009 9:47 AM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

I loved what you said to her. Good mommy. :)

February 21, 2009 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home