Monday, February 23, 2009

Here. Have Some Beads.

Carnevale was this weekend. You can read about the food here (and yes, it's been so long I nearly couldn't find the keys to get into the door).

Or you can start looking at it here:



This years feast was a metaphor for everything I'm thinking my Lenten journey is going to be about. I was not organized, I was not prepared...I didn't plan the menu until Saturday morning and I was still cooking well after guests arrived. Was it horrible? Not in the least. But I did not like the feeling of not having my game on. It just felt like one more example of how much life has changed since August and how much I still need to get a handle on it all. It is very ironic to have a job that is so superfantastic and splendid and affirming and life-giving etcetcetc and then feel like everything else I care about is going to hell in a handcart.

I was never one of those women who bought the myth that we can "have it all". But a little more balance can't possibly be out of the question.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Looks like fun!

February 23, 2009 7:56 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Having a great deal of that going on myself, I can genuinely understand- I keep thinking I just need to give myself a good talking to.. but in reality I just need a bloody housekeeper.

February 23, 2009 8:53 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I am so with you on the "having it all" myth. Ain't happening. If people aren't working outside of the home, there is a loss there besides money; if they are working outside, then stuff at home suffers. Gotta choose your battles and remember that perfection is a myth too.

February 23, 2009 12:28 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm lovin' the title!
(Do I detect a note of,'I'm busy dammit..Sit down,shut up,and eat!)?..Of course,I know you better than that,even if I don't recognize any of the people in the pix.

February 23, 2009 3:13 PM  
Blogger Greg opined...

All I can say is that must be one happy pooch!

February 23, 2009 4:07 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Amen, sista! I personally want to just quit my job sometimes and spend the rest of my life hanging out on vacation with Iwanski. :) (But then there's that whole money thing--dammit. :) )

February 23, 2009 5:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It was, Anne, it was.

Cuz, it seriously sux that you live so far away...

Kimberly Ann...good advice...'cept that the smoke from the muskets won't clear long enough for me TO pick my battles!

Sling, THANK YOU, for picking up that. And yes, you do know it could only have been said in love. And also, when YOU come visit ME I'll make sure you make the acquaintance of all those people. They're lovely.

Greg: a) Hi! and 2) yes, he lives for his annual big ass lamb bone. Gets him a little miffed that mummy and daddy won't let him gnaw it on the new couch or our bed, but still, all in all, VERY happy.

MHP: I want to quit my job and go on vacation with Iwanski, too!

February 23, 2009 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home