Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Funny Thing Is, I Never Worry About Gumbo

A Note of Clarification: I didn't thoroughly proof yesterday's post. So it read like I was worried about the gumbo I made for the Fisherfolk. I wasn't worried. Gumbo is easy if you get your roux dark enough, which I did thankyouverymuch. No, the thing I'm attempting to not worry about was actually number 6 on yesterday's list.

Moving On: I was very eager for the not-State-of-the-Union last night. At the last one, as the President was announced and started walking toward the front of the chamber, I had this moment wherein I realized that the odds were really good that the next time that walk was made it would be by a woman or a black man. And I wanted to see it for real.

It was awesome.

I think Nancy Pelosi peed a little.

The grandest thing of all was the President's speech. Oh sure, I expected the elegant prose and Obama delivery. But it ended up being more than I expected. Because I have never ever in all my years of watching these annual addresses never ONCE heard a President talk to me like President Obama did last night. In the end, he wasn't making a speech so much as issuing a call to action, perfectly balanced between the statement of stark realities and encouragements of tangible hope. He looked, acted and sounded real. It was so refreshing.

Also, Michelle looked beautiful.

I didn't stay to listen to the rebuttal guy (I never listen to the rebuttal guy/gal. I think it is one of the silliest exercises in all of America politics. Let the President have his say...there's plenty of time to parse the validity or not of his words later. There's just something very silly about rebutting the State (or not-State) of the Union speech and that's why I never listen to the rebuttal). I ran over to see The Neighbor real quick and she muted Rebuttal Guy while we talked. I did note that his expression never changed and the cameras - at least on PBS - had him lit so he looked green. I decided he wasn't very impressive. The Neighbor said he was one of the GOPs newest, brightest lights. I felt bad for the GOP. When he finished his speech David Brooks, of the NY Times and my favorite conservative, looked apoplectic and did his best not to just laugh like a hyena. We did listen to him and he basically said that if the Republicans honestly think they are going to win hearts and minds by remaining mired in the past then they are just not going anywhere anytime soon.

I love David Brooks.

Also, interesting that the newest bright light tapped to do the rebuttal was the governor of Louisiana rather than, oh, I dunno, the governor of Alaska. Has the GOP already seen the error of their ways on that one? One can only hope.

And Finally: Today is Ash Wednesday so I'm not going to eat any meat. Or sweets. Or much of anything. You know what is sad, though? Yesterday was my last shot at eating sweetie things for 40 days and I didn't have a sweet-tooth. Isn't that just silly?

The Neighbor and I are going to go to services at the VA, which should be interesting. Actually, the most interesting part should be just taking a break and walking away from my desk...something I don't do very often. You have to understand, the nature of my job is such that I'm running around all the time and lots of my job is totally fun stuff like hanging out talking to people over coffee or pinching baby cheeks or, I dunno, organizing stuff (which you know I love to do). So it doesn't feel remotely like an office job though I have an office and jobs to do in it. But the point is that I rarely leave the house (except to shop for the house...which is also something I love to do), even for lunch because, hello? it's full of food.

But even though I love the house and the people in it and the things I do there I do need to walk away from it a little every day...to clear my head or see something new or disturb the notion that I'm indispensable. Whichever.

"See something new"...I just gave myself an idea for a Lenten art project. (makes note to pack up camera)

Have a good day.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

No sweet tooth? Oh the next 40 days you will have the sweetest tooth around.
ah..excuse me..you have something on your forehead..

February 25, 2009 7:46 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You totally missed the best part!!
OH.MY.GAWD!..Jindal came out on the heels of Obama's brilliant speech,and proceeded to look,and act,and sound like the tour guide on the Jungle ride at Disneyland.
He clearly wrote his speech in anticipation of what he thought Obama was gonna say,so his response was so off point that when he was done,Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow just looked at each other in stunned silence,and Chris Matthews literally had his head in his hands..
If you wanna get around giving up sweets for Lent,just watch the next Saturday Night Live..I guarantee it's gonna be delicious!

February 25, 2009 8:39 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sage, no doubt about that. And I was the first one to get the ashes so not only did I get a big ol' something on my forehead, there were little ashes trickling down all over my nose. VERY attractive.

Sling, I knew something was wrong when Jim Leher turned to David Brooks for comment and it was all Brooks could do at first to put together a complete sentence. These guys really have to start paying attention!

February 25, 2009 4:45 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Obama's speech was just freakin' awesome!!!! :) And I was just telling Iwanski this morning that I think the rebuttal speech is ridiculous--why do we need it, when we should be UNITING as a country, right??

Also, I don't know how on earth you can give up sweets. Sugar is my life. :)

February 25, 2009 6:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP, I have given up sweets because at work people are always baking pie and cake and cookies and I shove such things in my face because it's easier than making a healthy meal and consequently I am becoming entirely too large and also getting away from the notion of eating mindfully and for the pleasure of it. And did I mention I'm getting too large?

February 25, 2009 8:59 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Jindal- all his dogs ain't barkin', if you know what I mean..

Gumbo is easy, you know that silly! I could forgo the sweets as I'm just not much of a sweets person, just don't ever try and force me to give up wine.

February 26, 2009 5:23 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Cuz, I used Great-granny's recipe...except I went with smoked sausage instead of andouille because some of the folk have delicate stomachs. (Sissy Alaskans).

February 26, 2009 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home