Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Few Little Things off a Very Short List

Yesterday I did faithfully execute my duties (teee...I said "duties") so that it won't be total chaos when I get back to my desk on Monday. Poor MAB, though...we have 4 check-ins today. She hates doing check-ins. (I kinda do, too, just because you are always in the middle of something else when people show up (even though we try to keep check-in to a prescribed period)) and have to drop everything and unless the person has been at The House before it takes 30 minutes at least, no matter what you do and then you have to try and remember where you were and what you were doing before the bell rang). But it's always good for her to remember how truly valuable I am. (Which she not only recognizes but generally mentions nearly every day but still).

I also finally got around to emailing some faculty at High School about whether or not there is any future for The Child. Turns out there is. Once again, the biggest culprit in her academic failures is....say it with me...turning in her work. OY! But the point is, she has time to turn things around and the teachers stepped up right away (I forget that teachers appreciate parents who give a damn) and I'm hopeful. It's like I told her this morning, I've given her thousands upon thousands of dollars to take to and turn in at school. She's never lost a check or failed to turn in the money when it's due. If she can understand the value and importance in that instance she is certainly capable of doing the same with her homework. Don'tcha think?

Funny thing, though. When report cards came out 3 weeks ago I emailed her counselor for an appointment. He told me he'd "try to call" but that his schedule wouldn't allow for an appointment for a few weeks. Then I heard nothing. I was a little annoyed but a) I know he's the only counselor for the Freshman class so that's probably a pretty heavy work load and 2) I was too busy to noodge him anyway.

Well, yesterday I decided to skip over him and go to the Dean of Academics, partly because she's one of the two faculty members I've even ever talked to (man, how things have changed) and partly because it was the old "may I speak with your supervisor" strategy. Can't get anything done on the lower levels, ratchet it up, right? I send my emails and went to get some lunch. Came back to my desk and 2 of the 3 people had already responded plus there was a message on my phone. From the counselor. Who apologized for not getting back to me sooner and was free to meet with me any time next week.

Then I read the email from the Dean, which began "I spoke to Mr. W and he will be calling you immediately". I suspect he may have done so with his tail between his legs.

Point is, that was all something I really needed to do before it was too late and it was a relief to do so.

I now just have some household puttering to do, one or two bits left to fling into my carry-on and soon I'll be winging my way to beautiful downtown Omaha. I talked to JP last night while I was packing (we had to discuss some of my fashion choices since it turns out that he and I are now throwing a party for a friend of his on Saturday night and that suggested some alterations to my original plan). He's excited. So am I. I always miss the fam when I go away from them but it's a good thing for Mommy to go away on her little Mommy-only jaunts every now and again. It's good for everyone.

Next blog posts will be from Omaha. I'll try and do a "video blob" (thanks, Sage) with JP. You'd all like that.

TTFN! (flutters lace hankie out taxi window as it pulls away from the house)

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I am totally looking forward to the video from Omaha.

You're always welcome to do a mommy weekend in Chicago. But you know that.

March 19, 2009 8:04 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Have a safe trip and a fun time. Looking forward to the video. We're heading off to Barcelona tomorrow - time to get those little pink pills out before getting on the jet plane.

March 19, 2009 8:10 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Buck. Love you.

Oh, Wills, you jet-setter. Pass me some o' them thar pills, please.

March 19, 2009 8:18 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Do you remember highschool when it was a big deal to have homework? It seems like students nowadays have homework every night. Poor children.

Oh I hope you have a blast in Omaha. How cool to see JP. Can't wait for the video.

March 19, 2009 8:34 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm investing all my money ($7.28) in Omaha Champagnya Futures..I expect to make a killing!

March 19, 2009 9:53 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Ta-Ta (dabbing eyes with lace hankie) Have fun on this trip and capture some good blob stuff

March 19, 2009 10:55 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Have a great time! And we damn well better get some video!!

PS- After the dousing of the GPA and lighting a match, I got a few pointers Cuz, we'll discuss after your trip to fabulous downtown Omaha...

March 19, 2009 2:52 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

maybe they should attach magnets to all the homework papers and give the teachers a giant "Acme" horseshoe-shaped magnet to suck the assignments right out of hiding.

have fun in omaha. DC is waiting for you too!

March 20, 2009 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home