Sunday, February 08, 2009

I'm sneaking this in because it's Sunday night and hardly anyone reads my blog on Sunday night and also, by the time the people who normally read my blog show up on Monday, all full of coffee and ready for a break, this will be buried under the blog post that is scheduled to post tomorrow morning. (Which, btw, is a really swell little feature and I should take advantage of that more often).

Point is, sometimes I think that maybe it's time to stop this nonsense and only because I don't have the time I used to have and the whole point of doing this in the first place was to create some sort of creative obligation, if you will. Blogging was about making a commitment to write.

Amazing things came out of that. Friends, for one thing. Some of them downright irreplaceable. And writing stuff came out of it, too. But now...I dunno. I've got this job, see? And it's superfantastic and I adore it but between it and managing the rest of my life (which I sooooo do not feel like I'm doing very well, btw) I don't know if blogging makes the same sort of sense.

(This is probably the point where I mention that this is a genuine musing and not some sort of bid for a big ol' "OH NO! RAINEY! DON'T STOP BLOGGING OR I'LL DIE! I JUST KNOW I WILL!" crapola).

The thing I'm trying to figure out is this: am I blogging because I still need/want/desire the creative outlet or am I blogging because I said I'd blog? Because I've been looking at the stuff I've posted since I went back to work and I think it's safe to say that the preponderance of schtuff is pretty much not so much.

OR do I continue to blog but just realize/accept that the parameters must necessarily change...that maybe now it's not about the frequency (Kenneth) so much as focusing on making what I write worth the drop by of whoever is dropping by?

Know what's really funny about all this? I think of the bloggy ones who've disappeared for similar (or not so) reasons and how when they did I was always (at least secretly) all "Oh, please...why are you making such a big deal about this?" but now I think I might get it a little.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Willym opined...

Ah but you forget that Sunday night there is Monday morning here.

Its funny you should be thinking this way - I think maybe a few of us are. The group of people that I regularly visit with and consider good friends are posting less and less, not because they have less and less to say but because they have less and less time to say it in.

Its a hard decision - almost like moving out of a community.

February 08, 2009 11:46 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Damned international readership.

The funny thing is, Wills, that it wouldn't exactly be like moving out because those of us who have become friends will continue to be friends regardless. Blogging brought us together but it isn't the only thing that binds us anymore.

But on the other hand, I don't really want to stop altogether...perhaps the model just needs to change. I do know that I don't want to just peter out. Either I'm going to figure out what blogging looks like now, with my new life, and keep it up or be done with it. Death by a thousand little cuts isn't the answer.

February 09, 2009 6:19 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

So, post when you're in the mood to do so. Or not. Your call. I'd miss reading you terribly, but as long as you remember to email once in a while so I know you're OK...

Yes the job and the family and the house, et al.. I know, truly. But if I didn't have my mostly public/secret diary (blog) some days I think I would go nuts.

February 09, 2009 7:33 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh ..I enjoy reading your posts..and they always bring a smile to my face..but I rarely post anymore, unless I feel like it..it has to be something that I want to do...or else I will hate it and give everything up. But I hope you don't give it up. You are too talented of a story teller and writer to go into blog hiding.

February 09, 2009 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Maybe blogging for the sake of the social interaction and accepting that it has nothing to do with the writing is the way to go... I miss the dialogue but not the daily racking of my brain for a creative way to say something.

February 09, 2009 8:16 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Once upon a time I had to post every day...then I didn't. The reason I started blogging I have said a bunch of times....so my kids would read it; accomplished by 2/3. It was sometimes about the # of comments...not now. It was about looking into windows of lives thru the written word and photos....still. I would miss you terribly. I know you would still visit now and then and that is important. Your posts are meaningful, funny, sad sometimes and beautifully written. Look for a reason...forget the frequency.

February 09, 2009 10:31 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Don't make it about "have to", make it about "want to". When you've got a creative itch to scratch, go for it. But whatever you decide, I'm glad I've had the chance to read about your life.

February 09, 2009 1:43 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

What jp said. Even though I never had time to blog daily, it appppalllls me that I barely have time to read blogs any more.

Still, I'm surprised by how much I still value the blogs I CAN write. I feel like maybe I counteracting some other stuff out there in cyberspace, just SAYING some things, even if no one else reads them.

February 09, 2009 7:34 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

I think this particular blog group is getting to a point where they feel like they have to blog.

I enjoy reading yours, I will miss JP's. When my son's stuff is over I will blog like mad-- for now I blog when I can--- and i write at home all the time-- and i write in my head more.

February 12, 2009 7:29 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Rainey, I think all bloggers go through this from time to time...especially when life gets too hectic.

I do like what Rosemary said: "Look for a reason...forget the frequency."

I think all writers go through dry spells and er-wet(?) spells...but I just want you to know that I enjoy reading your blog and that I always want us to keep in touch, no matter what!! I'm still waiting for you guys to come back to Chicago! *smiles*

February 12, 2009 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home