Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm Still Not Tired of Hearing the Phrase "President Obama". Which Has Nothing to Do With this Post.

There are things about this video that I do not like. Well, hell, there are things about this band that I don't like...starting with the fact that most of them aren't very cute and I do like my cute music boys. Then there's the whole "taking ourselves too seriously" thing but I can't be too intense about that because the fact is, just about every musician - or artist for that matter - has to think that because otherwise there's no frakking way you get a record contract or anything else.

The politics of art aside, sometimes attitude is believable and sometimes not so much. My personal jury is still out on these guys. For now, watching them...meh. Listening...possibly a different story.

Look. I think this band is pretty derivative. Going out on a limb, I'd suggest that your kids and/or grand kids won't be listening to these guys years hence. ("Huh?" says you. "Hungry Like the Wolf" is on my child's iPod," says me. That's me. Resting my case).

But this song works for me. We've got our literary allusion. We have an 80ish musicality which, as you know, will always seduce the Rainey. Plus, I'm taking half the day off today and I'm also going to listen to my iPod for the first time since frakking Christmas and I'll be downloading some new songs to same and this could be one of them.

So there.



Franz Ferdinand "Ulysses"

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

My goodness, ain't you the saucy little baggage today1
We likey the feisty Rainey, heh, heh
I'm going all Chris Isaak today...playin' my little "Wicked Games" is that a "Bad, Bad Thing"?
"Only the Lonely" would know.

January 30, 2009 6:49 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I think I AM feeling a little feisty today, MNF. "Feisty"...such a good word. "saucy little baggage"...even better phrase.

Have a great day with Chris (speaking of pretty music boys...hubba hubba).

January 30, 2009 6:58 AM  
Blogger Emma opined...

I saw these boys in concert. I think you would like their first albumn (did i spell that right? there goes my degree). Anywho, see you on the morrow.
Love your face and Patrick Swazye always and forever.

January 30, 2009 1:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Em, bring it tomorrow night so I can hear it.

January 30, 2009 2:32 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'll bet President Obama has this song on his Blackberry!..Can you put songs on Blackberries?..I just don't know.
President Obama!

January 30, 2009 7:01 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I also kind of wonder if the arts will suffer under Obama. What are we supposed to rebel against?

February 01, 2009 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home