Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Tuesday Morning Homily

The other day I was telling ChouChou about my job and how much I love it and said something to her along the lines of "almost feeling guilty" because it was so perfect. (Note: it is not "perfect" as in never challenging or difficult or whatever but "perfect" in that it "perfectly" suits my knowledge, skills and abilities). Later I even actually thought to myself that it couldn't possibly last because it was such a great gig.

That last thought caught me up short. When did I get the idea that good things aren't supposed to last? Do I really believe that blessings are somehow conditional?

When I met The Spouse I was long past believing I could find someone with whom to share my life long-term. Then he came around. And he wanted to marry me. He still wants to be married to me, even though the "you're-super-cute-and-you-have-a-coffee-maker-in-your-room" phase is long behind us. Our married life hasn't always been "perfect" but it is "perfect" for us. I don't question that. I don't necessarily think I deserve a husband like I've got but I've never thought he'd go away because "it was too good to last".

Likewise, The Child. I mean, I realize that she can drive me to Crazytown faster than anyone but when I said I wanted a child she is exactly what I meant.

The truth is, my friends, I haven't had the world's most difficult life. I have had my trials and tribulations but compared to the stories of some it reads with a decided lack of drama. Which is to say that mine is not a history fraught with loss and disappointment and cosmic snatching away of happiness. So where did that "conditional blessing" notion come from?

It's entirely too early to figure it out but you know what I did do? I told God I was sorry. Because I've been given a gift (lots of gifts, really) and the only proper response is "thank you". And I'll just keep saying "thank you", morning, noon and night. And if, some time in the future, I don't have this job anymore, well, I hope I'll be able to say "thank you" then, too.

As aforementioned ChouChou would say, "It's all good".

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Thanks for the bonk on the head, I needed that.

thank you

October 07, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome, Anne. Please stand for the Hymn of Praise.

October 07, 2008 8:36 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh you are so cute and so right.

October 07, 2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

See!..This is precisely why I love my dear friend Rainey.

October 07, 2008 9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I think it must stem, at least in part, from the idea that what happens here, in this lifetime, isn't "real," because everything wonderful is supposed to happen in the afterlife. This is an idea I've never understood.

Alternatively, it might be that the gods (singular as well as plural, and however defined) are considered to be jealous and will smack humans upside the head when they get too happy and proud of themselves; hence the dire punishments the Greek gods handed out to those who displayed hubris (Arachne, Sisyphus) and the old Chinese (and/or other Eastern countries) custom of finishing a list of good things with "but the rice is bad", i.e., "I may have just said things were wonderful, but they aren't! Really! Ignore me, deities!"

Also me = not understanding it.

And maybe it's just an acknowledgement that life is transitory and cyclical and things don't always last. Like summer. Or pumpkin dumplings. (Recipe, please!)

This concludes Philosophy 101 for today. Please turn out the lights as you exit the classroom. ;)

October 07, 2008 10:24 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Oh I'm glad to read this. I'm having a spot of trouble (in caring for an elderly family member) and this is good for me to remember. As always, thanks. :-)

October 07, 2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

Thank you for Lorraine!

October 07, 2008 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

So say we all.

October 07, 2008 6:03 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

You said, "When did I get the idea that good things aren't supposed to last?" Indeed.

That's like when someone says "With my luck...[it won't work out]." Why would anyone ever say that?

I say just believe it'll all be good--and it'll all be good! :)

October 07, 2008 8:04 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

Amen and amen

October 07, 2008 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home