Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend Update

We had a pleasant weekend, with the right balance of doing and not doing.

The Child had a sleepover here on Friday with 2 friends -twins, as it happens- who were quite delightful, as other-people's-children go. Once, when the 3 were gathered around the piano, singing and laughing, I asked if they'd be back. "Oh yes!" piped one. "You guys are cool".

Kids. So gullible.

Saturday was my errand day. Intellectually I am not yet resolved in this. For many years I've been smug about the fact that my Saturdays were free and not spent erranding with all that 9-5 rabble. But in practise I'm adjusting. The key is starting early and getting a spot in the garage at Trader Joe's. If I can get there before the traffic cop is at the door, I'm good.

I also did Tittlemouse chores and pungled bills, which felt very good. Most exciting of all, I got my wedding ring back from the jeweler's. It is very beautiful.

In the afternoon The Neighbor and I also retrieved my niece Molly. She was in town with her boyfriend but they'd spent all their money and didn't have bus fare to our house. She was wet from walking and sad for leaving her boyfriend so we cheered her up at a Caribbean joint in our 'hood. She had mango lemonade, The Neighb and I had Lemon Drops and we all shared some spicy turnovers with green papaya salad. It was lovely.

Mols joined us for dinner and a movie and then church on Sunday morning. Then we went out to breakfast at Saffron to celebrate the Spouse's and my anniversary. 17 years and I can honestly report I love him more now than ever.

Yesterday afternoon was nearly perfect. The Child, Molly and I all sat in the living room and read for hours. Molly was studying Chinese opera, the Child and I were reading the Twilight series. There was some napping. I also made, and burned, an apple pie. (It's tasty...just stay away from the charred edges). Molly went back to campus and we ate roast beast and Yorkshire pudding. Then The Spouse and I watched the first installment of "Elizabeth"...the HBO one with Helen Mirren. Excellent.

And now a new week begins, which should be awesome because a) I love my job and 2) my birthday is this week and you know how I am about birthdays (even without the gigantic hooha and fuss of last year).

Happy Monday.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Happy Birthweek!

I haven't gotten into Twilight. Fern's read them, though.

September 22, 2008 8:08 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Birthweek??? hmmm... do we have octave birthdays????

Sounds like a perfect weekend - can I have some of the burnt bits ... and the good one too...

September 22, 2008 8:09 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh yummy ...any pie is good pie (except rhubarb) even if it is burned.

What a fun weekend, and I hope you have a joyous Birthday week. If I was close I would bake you a chocolate peanut butter Pie.

September 22, 2008 8:47 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

WOOHOO Birthday week, I assume we will be meeting at the neighbors house tomorrow around 5ish?

I bought a brand new Pin the Tail on the Donkey and a pinata shaped like an elephant so we can take out our agression on the Republicans!

I love Birthday week!

September 22, 2008 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Happy birthday Lorraine! My birthday is tomorrow so...happy birthweek to us, happy birthweek to us, happy birthweek dear Lorraine and Jane, happy birthweek to us!
Awww...isn't that cute, our names even rhyme. heh, heh

September 22, 2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Happy Birthday Lorraine, a year already? Last year I was planning a visit to your neighborhood to deliver my gift. Sniff. I hope you are playing the gift....sweet melodies from the old country, right? Have a great celebration. I'm reading the shopalcholics series...light and funny.

September 22, 2008 12:46 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

Happy anniversary and happy birthday! We made a recent trek to Trader Joe's, which is too far away to visit regularly, alas. I love their tamales.

That does sound like a perfect weekend. I love the Twilight books and am hoping the movie turns out well.

September 22, 2008 2:43 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

**HAPPY BIRTHWEEK DOLLFACE!**

Weekends hold a little extra charm after having worked all week huh!

September 22, 2008 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You lost me at "gigantic hooha."

September 22, 2008 4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Yay!!!

Aaaaahhhh? Weren't there like EMMYs? Oh well, shouldn't expect a recap on every little thing.

Happy BirthweeK!!

Peaca

:+}

September 22, 2008 5:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Anne. The books probably have more resonance with the Fern aged folk than with the likes of you and me and I don't know that they will endure the way I expect Harry Potter to, but all that said, I can't put 'em down.

We should, Willym. And yes, you may have a bit of everything. Did you want that ala mode?

Sage, it's really just the edges, which I don't always eat anyway. I would totally eat a chocolate peanut butter pie.

You got that right, Twisi. She's washing up the extra glasses as we speak. I love whacking elephant shaped pinatas.

Mine too, MNF. Did I know we shared the day? Us and Bruce Springsteen. Which doesn't rhyme with Jane and Lorraine but we don't care because he's hot.

Happy birthday, dear!

I know, Rosie...seems like only yestserday. And not only am I struggling to make the concertina sound less than annoying, The Neighb likes to play with it, too.

Thanks, BA. I love TJ's tamales, too. I'm really looking forward to the movie...sounds like they are squishing books one and two into one movie. Hope they can manage that.

Thanks, Sling! Wish you were here! And yeah, weekends mean a whole different thing now!

And don't think I didn't think you'd think that, JP.

Emmy's? Really? Well, totally missed that, Anonyba. But I'm pretty sure "Frasier" won in every category.

September 22, 2008 5:59 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Happy Anniversary and Happy Soon-To-Be Birthday! *smiles*

You know I'm crazy about b-days--it's the one day a year when everyone you know has to be nice to you. *grin*

Also, welcome to the weekend "erranders" club. *smiles* It's not fun, but it must be done. At least you know you're not alone in it. :)

September 22, 2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger Molly Alyssum opined...

how's your neck?

September 22, 2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 23, 2008 4:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, MHP. I just wish I could WALK to TJ's with my granny cart like you and Buck do!

It's better, Mols, thanks.

THANK YOU, TWISI!!!!!!!!!

September 23, 2008 6:31 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. You had me at Caribbean food...oh, and Helen Mirren. Elizabeth if one of my serious favs though, so either way a win.

September 23, 2008 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home