Monday, October 13, 2008

The Circle of Life

Day by day, without our always noticing, kids grow up.

"Is this the little girl I carried?
Sunrise, sunset".

I know they grow up....little ones becoming big ones, everyone changing places at the tea table - "clean cups, clean cups". Our family has been watching it happen. Sometime this week my niece, Tweetums, is going to turn her parents into grandparents, DJ and Sean into great-grands. And this is the same child who turned them into grandparents in the first place. (Symmetry...we are all about symmetry in my clan).

"Turn around and she's two, turn around and she's four..."

Considered objectively it is a fascinating and even charming process, and yet it is mystifying, too. How is it that even as we watch them grow, we are sometimes caught up short and found shaking our heads in wonder at the little person who is no longer little? We knew it would happen, we watched it happen and yet....

We can't return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game.

Most of the time I am fine with this. Sometimes, sure, I miss the little chubber chubber cheeked baby who loved nothing more than to snuggle her mama; the one who drifted off to sleep while her papa crooned "Stairway to Heaven". But each phase in a child's life brings new joys and delights. Snuggly babies are awesome but there's no satisfaction like it when your kid starts to "get" irony or uses the bathroom in the night without waking you up or sits at a dinner party and makes fairly intelligent conversation with the guests. They are supposed to grow up and it's all good.

But sometimes, even so, I just get gobsmacked by some development. The latest one happened, I swear to you, overnight. One day she didn't, the next day (last Thursday to be precise) she did. And it is exactly like everyone says, exactly as it's portrayed in the movies:

"Really? They did? Why?"

"He kissed who at band camp?"

"He's such a player...I'm glad they brok...what? Really????" (laughity laugh)

"Did you hear about Hugo and Kim?" (No, seriously. Those aren't the names of the parties involved but it is exactly how the sentence was constructed).

Used to be she would get a call from a friend and it would go like this:

"Hi. Uh huh. Uh huh. 'K. Bye".

There was only one friend with whom she ever had substantive conversations by phone and that was Best Friend, who didn't live here. And I think they had 3 such conversations over the course of 6 years. The Child never, ever called anyone just to talk. Never ever.

Now? Yesterday, for example, I picked her up at the bus stop so we could go downtown and look for a dress for Homecoming. (Found one...adorable). She was on the phone when I rolled up. She stayed on the phone until we were almost to Nordstrom (aforementioned conversation about the player boyfriend of a friend who is now an ex-boyfriend because he's kissing other girls at band camp). As soon as we were done shopping and back in the car she was on the cell until we got home, this time talking about her dress, what shoes she'll wear with it and the protocol of corsages. I am not making any of this up.

I finally had to tell her to get off the phone so she could do her homework. Which she did. (So far she is way polite and mature and all "okay, mom" when this request is made). And 15 minutes later the phone rang again with a sweet voiced little, "Hi, is The Child there"?

"What's the story, morning glory? What's the word, humming bird".

Lord, lord, lord. I have to check our calling plan.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger sageweb opined...

I just started having those conversations a few years ago...so she is way ahead of me.

Homecoming...how fun. Is this her first? Pictures..for memories..and embarrasment 15 years from now.

October 14, 2008 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Yay. Praise em when you can. Pray for em and with em as often as possible.

Peace

:+}

October 14, 2008 9:19 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

oh my! Homecoming! Lucky her. I never did the homecoming thing. Think I missed out on lots of the typical high school type things.

October 14, 2008 9:56 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

....and then it becomes "What are the kids doing?" when talking to your kid.

October 14, 2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Remind her when she three-way calls, it's double the minutes....

October 14, 2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

She's very advanced, Sage.

Amen to that, Anonyba.

Lost, I never did either. And it's really cute because it's a whole pack of girls that are going as a group...not worrying about dates, just going to have fun. They did the same thing for Tolo. It's awesome.

Rosie, I know! I swear, it's just around the corner.

Oh, geez, Anne...

October 14, 2008 11:47 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Wait a minute!..Wasn't it just yesterday that she was sitting on my couch,watching cartoons with Little Newt?..
Thank god we're not getting any older.

October 14, 2008 2:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Word, Sling. I know I'm as youthful and vibrant as I was back in June. Dang it.

October 14, 2008 7:10 PM  
Blogger Natasha opined...

Hi Lorraine,
Homecoming! Lucky her. I remember mine. It was awesome!
By the by, my purpose for stopping by was to compliment you on your blog (It is really amazing) and to ask you to join us at www.womenetcetera.com. We're a site for women in our fifties. You'll see what's so special about us when you visit. Looking forward. Cheerio :)

October 15, 2008 1:34 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

That is SO sweet. And I'll vouch for the fact that she does carry on very intelligent and entertaining conversations with adults at the dinner table.

I'll bet she's a knockout in that dress.

October 15, 2008 6:46 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

How exciting, for everyone. Now I have to go rent Fiddler on the Roof.

What color is the dress?

October 15, 2008 8:01 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

and sometimes, you need to look and be happy they ARE growing up... sniff sniff

October 16, 2008 7:23 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Wow, the Child really is growing up! I hope we see her again soon, before she's an old married lady. *smiles*

October 18, 2008 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home