Monday, October 13, 2008

God Love the Italians

I haven't celebrated Columbus Day since I was in the 4th grade and we had to color pictures of the Ninã, the Pintã, and the Santa Maria. It's pretty much universally acknowledged that he was a hired thug for the Spanish and had a poor sense of direction. But you know what? It's still on the books as a holiday and that means the banks are closed, the mail isn't being delivered and, oh yeah, I have a paid holiday. Gotta love being a fed!

Today is going to be superfantastic. All the stuff that I haven't done since I started working is going to be tackled with a vengeance. I'm also going to read blogs AND comment on them, drink good, strong coffee (MAB and I have differing opinions on what constitutes "strong") and I may even watch my stories. Or as The Child said last night, "You should eat an egg salad sandwich, drink juice and watch your stories".

"Why egg salad?"

"That's what you always used to do".

Really? Well, then so be it.

Man, I can't tell you how fun it was this weekend to know that I still had a whole extra day. And I have to tell you, much as I adore my job, I still haven't gotten the hang of managing the house stuff plus work. I know it can be done; I've figured out how to hold the tall sticks, I just haven't figured out how to get the plates to spin on top of them. Well, once I got one going but as soon as I tried to put another one up there the first one fell and broke. And I still haven't swept it up. But I'll get to that today.

Also, here's some happenings from the weekend, categorized under the heading of "Things You Wouldn't Expect":

The Child spent more time reading than watching television.

John McCain took on a hate monger (too little too late, but snaps for the effort, John).

The Child cleaned her room and threw out a bunch of stuff and filled a donation bag with things that were too small. More to the point, she did this on her own.

In other news, I still haven't found my cell phone. Calling Credo is on my list of things to do. But The Child found her wallet, which has been missing for 3 weeks. Which we totally didn't get because one minute it was in her hands and we both saw it and the next minute it disappeared. There is a black hole in our house. I blame the Swiss.

Have a dandy day.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

I was a huge McCain fan until this campaign, now I am really disappointed in his actions. I honestly don't think he is the person he has been in this campaign.

The Child just becomes more and more super-fantastic!

October 13, 2008 10:47 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

One of the problems of being retired is that i never get a day any more.

October 13, 2008 11:10 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I think there are a lot of people like you, Twisi. And should he lose (cross fingers) I think his turn into pronounced scumbaggery will be the 3rd thing cited as the reason (the economy and W being 1 and 2).

And she really is.

Mom, there is something precious about having "a day", which I never realized when I had nothing but days and days.

October 13, 2008 11:52 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

How wonderful of The Child! Can she swing by my place? I love Egg Salad sandwiches..not as much as peanut butter tho.

October 13, 2008 12:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I have a peanut butter sammie yesterday, Sage. I thought of you.

October 13, 2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Have a swell day off and do lots of fun things - roll around in egg salad sammiches if that is your thing. Enjoy!

October 13, 2008 12:54 PM  
Blogger Random Thinker opined...

A second benefit of a Monday off is that you are one day off all week. Friday feels like Thursday. Week's done one dy early. Bonus!

October 13, 2008 2:26 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Revel in the bounty of your egg-salad holiday kid,you deserve it!!
..you're gonna do the dishes first,right?

October 13, 2008 3:36 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

It's about freakin' time McCain starts acting halfway decent! :)

Also, good for the Child! Clearing the clutter is always good...

Enjoy your egg salad! *grin*

October 13, 2008 6:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

KA, I didn't roll in it...mostly because it would have been too messy. But I DID eat it on white bread. Seriously!

Random, absolutely true and wonderful in and of itself. And thanks for stopping by.

Sling, you'da been so proud...the kitchen was gleaming all day. Even after I had my lunch. I'm so smug.

MHP, yeah, although it chaps my hide that then he and his go out and start ragging on Rep. Lewis for saying the tone of the McCain rallies reminded him of George Wallace. Like, seriously, dude? You and Palin have people screaming that Barak is a terrorist and should be killed and you have the frakking nerve to be offended by an historically valid observation?

I just threw up a little in my mouth. I'm so over McCain. He could walk on water now and I wouldn't be impressed.

Where were we? Oh, yeah, enjoying my day! Whoo hoo!

October 13, 2008 6:37 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

lucky you having the day off!! Boy The Child sure was busy! I say she accomplished a bunch. I don't like eating egg salad, but it sure is fun to say really fast.

October 13, 2008 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no w)

Now if mcpain got rid of mcpallin he would be on the way to recovering a lot of points with a lot of people.

The dragon's daughter?

Peace

:+}

October 13, 2008 8:22 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I'm dyin' here, where was the wallet? Is the bus pass in it?

October 14, 2008 6:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Lost, part of the secret to enjoying life, I believe, is to say things really fast until you giggle.

Anonyba, including people in his own party. But that ain't going to happen.

Anne, this is classic. On Saturday (when she was cleaning) I heard this "MOM! MOMMOMMOMMOM!" I couldn't tell if she'd lost a leg or won the lottery. She comes roaring out of the family room with the wallet in her hand and joy on her face. She'd been putting away something in the file cabinet and there it was. The night it went missing we figure she'd been holding it when she (again) went to put something in the cabinet and dropped the wallet in as well. And yes, the bus pass was in it. Well, the original bus pass. We're still looking for the secondary backup bus pass. But now I also don't have to replace her ASB card.

And no. My cell phone wasn't in the file cabinet. I checked.

October 14, 2008 6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home