Friday, August 29, 2008

My Bad

When The Spouse and I started dating he was intrigued by the fact that I kept a coffee maker in my bedroom. It acted as my snooze alarm. The night before I'd set it up with fresh ground beans. Then when my alarm rang in the morning I'd roll over and turn on the coffee maker. When the last gurgle of steam hissed and the fragrance of fresh coffee filled the room, then I knew to get up. Which I would. Right after I had my first cuppa.

The Spouse thought this was pure genius, so he married me.

With two people drinking coffee in the morning, we needed a bigger coffee maker, which moved into the kitchen. But being able to have that first cup right away was still vital so we'd take turns setting it up the night before. One night it was his turn but I did it, telling him that it was my privilege to serve him. (Newlyweds). He latched onto that and coffee duty became The Privilege.

(You do not, however, have to do The Privilege on your birthday. We even have a song about it).

Well, ever since The Spouse started taking the bus to work, he gets up way earlier than me and somehow or another it evolved that he did the Privilege during the week and I did it on the weekends. I don't really know how that happened; there was no reason why I couldn't do it. But then, I think that was emblematic of a lot of things around our house. As an at-home mom, I started doing a lot of things that we used to share because I was here, he wasn't and it just made sense. And if someone starts doing all the laundry it's easy for the other person to stop thinking about doing it.

The other night The Spouse told me that, with me working, it was time to get back to the way we used to do things: trading off cooking dinner during the week, sharing the household responsibilities 50/50, etc. He even said he'd go grocery shopping with me. (He hates grocery shopping and frankly, I don't think we have to take it that far; I happen to love grocery shopping). I'll be honest with you, it rather blew me away. Oh, you better believe I had every intention of broaching that subject but for him to offer it like that was the best "going back to work" present I could have been given. In that spirit of cooperation, I told him that we should also return to sharing The Privilege.

It was my turn last night and I totally forgot.

I'm glad it's a three day weekend. We're meeting some old friends for dinner tonight and one of The Spouse's on-line buddies is coming to stay. But I hope to use the time to get our new systems in place, put away the laundry that was washed days ago and generally try to set it up so that household-y things start functioning a little better. I'm also going to remember to do The Privilege.

All that has absolutely nothing at all to do with today's musical selection. I just happen to think it is a terribly delightful and quite sing-a-longable and it makes me happy.




The Dandy Warhols "We Used to Be Friends"

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine opined...

Also, the lead singer is hot.

August 29, 2008 6:43 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Congrats on your new job, btw. I forgot to mention that earlier this week. I'll have to visit on a Wednesday so I can meet MAB.

August 29, 2008 7:44 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

He is officially now in the husband hall of fame! Can he come have a little chat with the Beast? Please?

August 29, 2008 7:53 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Wow your husband is a sweetheart. They need more women like him for me.

August 29, 2008 8:15 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Actually it was all rather Machiavellian. And it appears to have worked. Bwahahahah

August 29, 2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

That was nice.

August 29, 2008 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

(Note no W) Hhhhhmmmmm.

So you have been very busy, spouse has been very busy, the child has been very busy. Not enough of an excuse to completely let the last wek of history slide by, so I will help.

Democrats will be awesome and the world really needs it. Great touch having the highest attendance for any political convention ever. Very inclusive, and you know I am all about inclusion.

YYYAAAAYYY!!!

Peace

:+}

August 29, 2008 2:11 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Two things...
a) These are the bugs that I'm certain you and The Spouse will have no difficulty working out,and..
2) The Spouse is an evil genius!..I admire that quality in a person. :)

August 29, 2008 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

When I get married "The Privilege" is going to refer to something else entirely.

Although I do hope I find someone very much like The Spouse. And Sling.

August 29, 2008 3:28 PM  
Blogger Adrienne opined...

Chores aside, I love those rituals! Coffee in the morning w/ husband is one of my favorites.

August 29, 2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you, Anne. And oh, wouldn't that be fun for you to join us for a PR viewing!

Cuz, right? I'll book him a ticket this weekend.

He really, is, Sage. Although I gotta think finding a woman like him would be easier than finding a man like him.

You're evil, honey. Pick up your damn socks.

We're all about the nice, Lost.

Yeah, Anonyba, this whole gainful employment thing really got in the way of my political blogging.

Sling, no doubt and for true.

JP, you wanna marry a geeky straight guy with a mustache?

Adrienne, me too!

August 30, 2008 8:34 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

why is it your spouse offers to help share stuff and my spouse-- just doesnt do it and when I say what the hell acts suprised?

just saying

but he doesnt drink coffee

August 30, 2008 2:43 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

The Spouse is so sweet! :)

And I LOVED the line "The Spouse thought this was pure genius, so he married me." *hee hee*

I also am a coffee addict--although I actually get out of bed to drink my first cup. (Crazy, I know. :) )

August 30, 2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I am SOOOO happy but have a twinge of jealousy you and Anne are meeting! I want to hear all about it.
Love this post. You two are showing us up.

August 31, 2008 6:22 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Aside from the pure genius I'm sure the Spouse married you for many other reasons - some of which we could even talk about in public.

You got a gem there - but then so did he.

From the day they were married until 40 years later when he went into hospital for the last time my father always brought my mother a cup of tea in bed in the morning. Laurent heard that story and many years later when my mother would come to visit he always took her a cup of tea first thing in the morning. Guess I did pretty well too.

August 31, 2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

The Spouse is a good spouse!

September 01, 2008 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home