Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You Should Feel Very Sorry for The Spouse

First Reason

The other night I was sleeping soundly, dreaming of James McAvoy, when all a sudden I heard the most ghastly thump, followed by sustained groaning. The Spouse had fallen out of bed. As you can see (Exhibit A),
our bed is rather high. This owes to the fact that our box spring and mattress came free from friends who were moving. We did not then know that there are two sorts of box springs, high profile and low profile. Obviously, with a sleigh bed, we should really have a low profile box spring but as it was, as I mentioned, a gift, we've made due. Up to this point it has not been an issue. But when your husband rolls over and finds himself no longer snuggly but writhing on the floor in pain, it is perhaps time to reconsider.

I had to help the poor man get to his feet. He was sure he'd cracked a rib. The Child, hearing the noise and thinking it was a burgler came rushing in. When she was told what happened she laughed hysterically. I don't think she was being entirely unkind. Papa did blame The Dog for plotting against him, for one thing. Then there could have been the relief of all that mayhem not in fact being a break-in. Although, really, I guess when you are 14 there is something pretty funny about your dad falling out of bed.

The Spouse didn't crack any ribs, thank heaven, but he did mash himself up quite nicely. The doctor says it will be a couple of weeks before the muscles and cartilage and other mashed bits stop hurting.

He is being a very good sport about it, even though it literally hurts to laugh.

Second reason:

He spent all day yesterday and is spending all day today sitting around waiting to see if he'll be called for jury duty. He actually doesn't mind so much. Civic duty and all that. But still; even with an iPod, a book and a $10 stipend (whoo hoo!) it all sounds a little boring and not very "Law and Order".



If you live in Washington and don't vote absentee remember to get yourself to the polls for today's primary.

There. Now I've done my civic duty.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger TWISI opined...

Poor spouse! I hope he is feeling much better soon! But you must find out what he was dreaming to fall from the bed and then report back!

I enjoy jury duty, yeah I'm weird like that.

August 19, 2008 12:56 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

It is kinda funny, though.

August 19, 2008 12:58 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

He's being very brave, Twisi. It's worst at night when he is sleeping and needs to roll over and can't...or is afraid to...

In Florida, do they let you decoupage while you're waiting for jury duty?

Anne, I know, right? Even he can't tell the story without laughing. It's ever so ridiculous.

August 19, 2008 1:18 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

I am so sorry but I am right there with the Child..I started laughing as soon as you said he fell out of bed. I have tears in my eyes..that is so funny. But hope he feels better soon. My dog has pushed me off the couch before..it hurts to hit the floor.

August 19, 2008 1:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's ok, Sage. You're in good company...the victim included.

Why DO they make floors so stinking hard?

August 19, 2008 1:34 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Poor thing! I swear I am NOT laughing. No, really..

Shame your dream got interrupted..

August 19, 2008 1:38 PM  
Blogger Leah opined...

With a bed that high, toddler bed rails might not be a bad idea...
Poor spouse.

August 19, 2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

I've done that a couple of times, but I slept right through it...woke up wondering how I ended up on the floor. so far I've never been hurt. I voted today too!

August 19, 2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You have a fine sense of family loyalty, Cuz. (twitter, snort) And it's ok...hopefully James will come back soon.

Leah, trust...it's been discussed.

You must have a very low bed and/or a very cushy floor, Lost. Good girl.

August 19, 2008 2:01 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

I'd never laugh at the Spouse of my Cuz (in front of him) very poor manners. But you, me- the kitchen later..

August 19, 2008 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Hmmm. must have run out of bullets to bite. Oh well.

Now for jury duty. If you want it get a hair cut, if not, get a wig.

Only joking. Only joking.

Thanks for doing your part!!

Peace

:+}

August 19, 2008 3:00 PM  
Blogger Bad Alice opined...

The most important part of this entire story is that you were dreaming about James McAvoy. Are you sure it wasn't a particularly feisty dream and you pushed The Spouse out of the bed?

August 19, 2008 6:51 PM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

you are totally right, I've never had a high profile bed.

August 19, 2008 6:53 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

Poor spouse! I hope he's feelin' better by now...

And jury duty can be fun IF you actually get picked for a jury. All that waiting around sucks. I had to serve on a jury for a shoplifting case...we found the woman guilty. It was very interesting.

August 20, 2008 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home