Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bloody Mary Monday

The first day of school/work/everything-changing-pretty-much-overnight-but-we're-fine with-that went very well, thankyouverymuch.

The night before I had trouble sleeping. No, not what you'd think. I wasn't lying in bed worrying or getting all het up about starting work. Starting work feels, at the moment at least, like the most normal and natural thing to do. And this job doesn't have a lot of scary components to it. I know my boss. Not super, duper well but plenty well enough to feel at ease with her, to know that I can joke with her and that she's perfectly happy to answer my questions, listen to my ideas and generally trust me to do the best I can and let me know when I'm not and otherwise leave me to it.

Also, this is a new position. There will be a ton to learn and set up and all that but there's something different about being the one to do it first as opposed to learning how someone else did it, wrapping your head around the basics and then fiddling with procedures and how-tos to suit your own way of doing things.

Ever noticed that about jobs, btw? Like, there's the stuff you really do have to know: Finance needs this in triplicate, the code to the copier is 412, this report has to be updated once a week. Then there's the stuff that someone tries to tell you is part of the job but really it was the way they came to do it and doesn't really have to be done in quite that way? And how proprietary someone is when showing you the ropes of a job they are leaving behind? Well, anyway, there's none of that. MAB and I pretty much get to figure out how we want to do things, including where we put the electric stapler and how many big giant Ikea sunflowers leftover from the company picnic should be displayed in our bathroom. (4: 3 in a tall vase on the counter, 1 behind the commode. Because MAB is a bit whimsical like that).

And I was talking about not sleeping on Sunday night. So I couldn't sleep; mind just wouldn't shut down, even though it wasn't worried, certainly not on any conscious or even obviously sub-conscious level. (I don't think there is such a thing as what I just said). I finally got up and read for a while and went to bed at around 1:30 or so, which meant getting up at 5:45 was a little, uh, brutal. But I survived, powered by caffeine and a strong sense of "good golly I'm so happy to be here".

The Child had a lovely first day of Freshman orientation and has already made a couple of friends (well, of course she has).

The Spouse came home a little early so he could be there to hear about our days.

And ChouChou came over, as she has for 10 years, to have Bloody Marys. It has always been our tradition and even though we had to do it at cocktail hour instead of the morning as is our historical wont, we couldn't/wouldn't let the tradition die.

And yes, I know you wanted pictures but my battery was dead and so we'll have to recreate our looks later. We looked fabulous.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I was SO afraid that your employment might impede your blogging. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that you gave us an update.

Our copier code is 7500.

August 26, 2008 7:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

I have no idea of any code of our copiers (multiple).
YAY! for a first day completed!

August 26, 2008 8:27 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Congrats Cuz! The first is always the worst! And of course you looked fabulous and MAB loves you..

And you're right, starting from scratch can be daunting, but then again you get to arrange things your way ;)

August 26, 2008 10:49 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

Oh I love the title..I feel indirectly honored. So happy your first day is over. First days are a little nerve racking. I havent had a first day in over 20 years..but I can imagine..with my eyes closed.

August 26, 2008 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Yay!!! Of course she did, and you did too I am sure.

Grats again!!!

Peace

:+}

August 26, 2008 11:40 AM  
Blogger LostInColor opined...

I would have been the same, not sleeping. First days are the worse, and you made it! So if Monday's are Bloody Mary days, what are Tuesday's?

August 26, 2008 12:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Buck, no frakking way. The blogging, she will not stop.

And thanks for that info.

Yes, indeed, Greeny. Lots of YAYs!

Thanks, Cuz. It was an awesome first day. I was pretty much born for this job. It so rocks. But damn, I wish you could have seen my superfantastic outfit...

Sage, I always honor you, schweetie. Although, since you're sorta new to the club I should tell you that the whole Bloody Mary Monday thing is something ChouChou and I have been doing every first day of school since Kindergarten. Only now, after 10 years, we're pretty much committed to an annual fete of some sort. (And she makes AWESOME Bloody Mary mix...just sayin').

And thanks, again, Anonyba. Everyone is settling very happily into their new "worlds".

Lost, of all the first days I've ever had, this was the best one ever. And the whole being able to sleep like the dead now that the Rubicon is passed is also pretty sweet. And sometimes we have Bloody Mary Tuesday. Depends on when school starts.

August 26, 2008 6:29 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Tuesday's child is full of grace lostinco..Much like our Rainey.

COOL Rainey!..You get to define the parameters of your job,set the standard for all those that follow,and keep a worried look on your future assistant's face!..Life is good in your domain. ;)

August 26, 2008 8:53 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Good first day for all... pass the black pepper please..

August 26, 2008 9:04 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Happy to hear first day went well all around. Code for the photocopier hell I still haven't figured out how to get things stapled!

I take 2 shots of tabasco in my Bloody Ms by the way.

August 26, 2008 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home