Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What the...

13 days, 7 hours and 15 minutes. That's the amount of time left in The Child's middle school career.

She's getting some pretty fine grades this trimester, except for math but her math teacher is confident that she'll be able to bring it up before the end of term. She only had 2 missing assignments on her last progress report. That's huge.

We still haven't heard anything from First Choice High, but I'm told that it's really just a matter of waiting for the dominos to fall. It's all good. The fact is, she got into high school. That's the achievement.

Last night at the retreat I was sitting with a guy I first met when The Child started kindergarten. His son is now a sophomore. It seems trite but there was a moment when we looked at our kids, remembering them as little tinys and said to each other, "Can you believe it?"

9 years ago she was all about the stuffed animals, the Madeline stories and the soundtrack of "Little Mermaid". Now the makeup and clothes are pushing out the toys, pop tunes are in the iPod and she reads chapter books. Then discusses them. It's inevitable and right, I know, and I've been here the whole time, every day watching her grow, but, as she used to say when she was a toddler, "I can't bebeeve it".

Speaking of the iPod, this would be a good time for a public apology to Dame Judi and Sean. I would like to formally apologize for all those hours I'd sit, plugged into the headphones on the stereo, which resided in such a public place, and sang along to Bread and Chicago at the top of my lungs. Really. I'm very sorry.

What is it about having headphones (or, in today's case, ear buds) that renders a person incapable of singing in tune? (shudders)

Mom, Dad...forgive me. I knew not how I sounded. I do now. (shudders again)

The school year is winding down. A cap and gown are hanging at the ready. I'm almost the mother of a senior high student.

13 days, 7 hours.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Holy carp, how can it be? Just yesterday, she was singing "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" and calling me Boot.

Amazing how time flies...

May 21, 2008 11:27 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

You forgot Arthur and the Magic School Bus.

Actually I think those shows as great as they were created an unrealistic bar for an only child in a relativly kidless neighborhood as to how school mates actually treat each other.

sure the cartoons had conflict but it was all resolved in the end and everyone was actually tight regardless of their foibles.

St Therese was certainly an eye opener for that poor little innocent. It broke my heart at the time cause I knew it was not what she expected.

May 21, 2008 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm curious as to how your household celebrates such events as middleschool graduations. I mean, if there's going to be a feast of the missing ruby next year, something like this must be FRAKKING HUGE!!!!

May 21, 2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG, you understand.

Word, honey.

JP, yeah, it's going to be a little delayed since we're leaving for CA the day after she graduates. But there will be a bash of some sort when we return. I do already have the sparkling grape juice that came with a little cap and tassel on the top. It's a key chain. It rocks.

May 21, 2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm still laughing over the image of you singing along to Bread.

May 21, 2008 12:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

"Baby, I'ma want you..."

May 21, 2008 12:53 PM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

My middle school graduation was cancelled due to Mt.St Helen's spewing her ashes about. No celebration for me. But I got to wear an ash mask all summer.
So when things arent going her way...you could tell her, it could be worse...
Actually we scored cuz we all got out of school 3 weeks early that year.

May 21, 2008 12:55 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Thank you sooo much for reminding me of those headphone-sing-along days.

It's so strange to think that getting into high school is such a big deal now and that college is its own competitive sport. I think I prefer the days when it was no big deal at all and I could sing-along, oblivious.ly. However that goes.

Innocence. It's good.

May 21, 2008 2:20 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Getting into highhschool per se is not the issue. It is getting into the private school (Catholic) as they can pick and choose who they let in. I know I was thinking the same thing. I was in ninth grade then I was in a different school and a shrimp again.

May 21, 2008 2:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I dunno, Sage, I think being able to say you didn't get a middle school graduation because St. Helens was making an ash of herself is pretty cool!

You too, Booda? I feel better now.

That's not strictly true, honey. The public system is a bit fraught as well, what with everyone having to pick three and just hope against hope that they actually get into their neighborhood school. Unless, of course, they don't want to get into their neighborhood school.

May 21, 2008 5:56 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

WOO HOO!..You're coming to California! :)
..and the whole graduation thing is pretty exciting as well.
I'd also like to apologize to Dame Judi and Sean for all those hours I spent mangling 'Stairway to heaven' on the guiter.

May 21, 2008 7:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants opined...

That's a great accomplishment!

Congrats to you and the Child!--err--Young Adult? (I think we've had this conversation before--will she always be "The Child"? *smiles*)

May 21, 2008 7:19 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, right? Sling, I just get giddy at the thought of bbqing and drinkin' brown liquor and playing Guitar Hero with all y'all. Can't. Wait.

MHP, yep, she'll always be The Child. Future blog posts include "The Child left for college today", "I think The Child is in love for real this time", "The Child made a beautiful bride" and "Hi. The Child just made me a grandmother...please tell me I don't look that old"

May 21, 2008 7:24 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Freaky, isn't it? I'm trying to wrap my mind around Miss Thing becoming a Junior.. her class ring came in the other day it it just sort of hit me like a ton of bricks..

May 22, 2008 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

All is forgiven, she says with the grin of the duly rewarded.

Isn't parenthood a fun trip?

As for the child, she is growing up in quite fine fashion, methinks.

May 22, 2008 8:54 AM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

Is it normal for the first choice to take so long to give a yay or nay? My mom and I just had a discussion about 8th grade graduations. It is much more important for kids like The Child and my little brother who are "graduating" from private schools. A tad different for your child though... There is only one choice for high school up there - the public one. My 8th transition from public middle school to public high school was no big deal. My little siblings get to have all the fun....
(and funny I just realized my little brother is the same age as The Child)

May 22, 2008 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home