Tuesday, May 20, 2008

If It's Tuesday, I Must Be Tuning the TV To CNN

The Child has a retreat this evening for a mission trip she's taking this summer. At first I was a little annoyed, only because it's Tuesday night and there are 2 primaries today and you know how I like to watch the game. But turns out the church where it's being held is nearby and the parents only have to show for the first 30 minutes. The timing will be perfect. Kentucky returns will be coming in before we have to leave and the polls in Oregon won't close until 8pm so I'll be able to catch the first bit of that before I have to fetch The Child. I love it when things work out like that.

I was at dinner Sunday night with a group of friends, most of whom are Obama supporters. There were a few Clintonites and the question was inevitably raised, "Should she drop out?" And I, in all my diplomatic Obamaness said, "No. She has every right to stick in it until the last 5 contests are over. But she should drop out after that. If she takes it to the convention then I will be extremely disappointed in her". And the Clintonites agreed.

The thing that I think has been forgotten in these last 4 months (really, only 4) is that fundamentally the Democrats have had the luxurious and even enviable situation of having good candidates about whom the majority of us are excited. Yes, some people in both camps have gotten a little entrenched as the time has passed but the fact is, the vast majority of those entrenched types are going to support the Democrat. It might not be quite as blissfully easy as it would have been a few months ago, but it will happen. And if Hillary really loves the party like she says she does, if she really is committed to unity like she says she is, then she won't take this all the way to the convention. And that will go a long way toward restoring order. (Not that I think the process is all that disordered anyway. It's been an exciting contest and we've forgotten what that looks like. It hardly puts the party in peril).

Florida and Michigan. I heard this notion posited recently and I like it: count the votes but as punishment for breaking party rules, strip those states of their superdelegates for this round. Why? Because it was the party leadership that broke the rules. And I've said it before but I'll say it again, there have to be consequences. Otherwise every state will be breaking rules next time around. I hope the Rules Committee understands that.

Obama has picked up 10 of Edwards' 19 delegates since last week's endorsement. He now leads in the superdelegate count, as well as every other measure. And I think he's being terribly diplomatic about all that. While pundits and columnists begin to coronate him, he continues to say, "It's not over". Because it's not. Even though it really pretty much is. She'll get Kentucky, he'll get Oregon, she'll probably get Puerto Rico (but that will likely be pretty close) and he'll likely get South Dakota and Montana. And then Hillary should smile very sweetly, concede and do all she can to help Obama kick the stuffing out of McCain.

Speaking of whom, did anyone else see this over the weekend?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

If elections were decided based upon SNL appearances, (and who's to say that they're not) then McCain needs to bow out NOW.

I have a conspiracy theory that SNL made him look bad on purpose, but I'll hold off on my elaborations at this time.

May 20, 2008 11:05 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yeah, he's a little stiff. But a 6 month tour in some comedy clubs and he could get over that. It may well be a better use of his talents than say, oh, I dunno, running the country.

May 20, 2008 11:14 AM  
Blogger sageweb opined...

oh the video is no longer available. But I laughed and giggled a little just to make it seem like I watched it.

May 20, 2008 1:47 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sage, I was being lazy and just embedded from YouTube. Now I've made it mine, so to speak, so you can see it for real.

May 20, 2008 3:38 PM  
Blogger Dana opined...

I'm confused.

You didn't even MENTION the American Idol finals tonight. Aren't more people going to watch that than are going to vote in the entire presidential election, primaries included?

May 20, 2008 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ba Ha Ha Ha (Note no W)

Uhh, Duhh, and isn't the dancing with the stars thing closing tonight with maybe one of my favs (Kristi Yamaguchi) in the lead.

Oh and by the by it is Folk Life Festival weekend this coming one too.

Almost have that ---- Pirate ship finished.

Peace

:+}

May 20, 2008 4:51 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

McCain seemed silly acting all funny and cool on saturday night, all while tossing out the most hypocritical non-straight talk crap the rest of the weekend.

May 20, 2008 7:23 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm beginning to wonder if she is staying in as a way to force his hand into offering her the VP. What if, political gods forbid, she decides to pull a Lieberman and go Independent in the fall. Holy Smokes, what a mess that would be. I gotta wonder if that is in the back of her noggin.

May 21, 2008 9:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

KA, no way in hell she goes Lieberman. She might be motivated entirely by ego and a sense of entitlement but she's a Dem through and through. Not to mention, she still has a day job. She's not going to bugger the party like that. No, I think she's staying in because at this point, she might as well. I really don't know, at this point, that either one wants to run on the same ticket. Obama does better with someone like Edwards or Richardson. I mean really, you think Obama wants to have Hillary on the ticket, knowing that means Bill, too? I can't see it.

May 21, 2008 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home