Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lots of Recaps

Life Recap:

I have to order a leg of lamb. I also have to find the really spectacular menu that The Spouse and I developed for Carnevale, which is Saturday night. Yum. There will be 15 of us around the table. That's a big lamb.

This week is Catholic Schools Week, which for The Child means all sorts of dressing up and hooha. Today, for example, is Pajama Read-in Day. Everyone, even the teachers, go to school in their jammies, bring a pillow and stuffed animal and they spend most of the day on the floor reading whatever they want. (Harry Potter II in The Child's case, fyi). Yesterday was Laffy Taffy Day, where everyone was supposed to wear as mismatched and crazy an outfit as they could manage. This is what The Child looked like:


SOTU Recap:

Obama wore a gray tie. Bold move. I was surprised, but I liked it.

Clinton never once cracked a smile that I could tell. She looked very unimpressed.

Nancy Pelosi's hair is AWESOME. Have you seen her new do? Golly Moses, she looked hot. I wonder if she discovered my perfect little hair person. I wish she woulda flipped her hair last night.

Dick Cheney gives me the pips.

No one got bingo...came close but I'm a stickler. If the card reads "stimulus package" and the President calls it a "growth package" it's a no go. Same with "global warming" vs. "climate change". Oh well. It was fun and the best part is that it engages The Child. I think it is very important that she listen to the State of the Union address. It's part of being an informed citizen.

Even if you hate the person delivering the speech, even if it sounds like a fairy tale, you gotta do it. (And wasn't it a fairy tale? I kept responding, "That would be so awesome if any of your policies actually went toward accomplishing that". Idiot.)

But hey, you know what the really good news is? That is the last time we ever have to listen to a SOTU by Shrub. And next year, when the Sergant at Arms announces, "Madame Speaker, members of Congress, The President of the United States", the person who walks down the aisle to the rostrum is going to be a Democrat. I just feel it. And probably best of all, the person seated next to Madame Speaker is NOT going to be Dick Cheney. What a relief.

Dream Recap:

Last night I dreamt that I flew really close to the moon and could see the space station sitting on it. It was so cool, until I woke up and realized that there isn't a space station on the moon.

Brain Tumor Recap:

It's gone. Thank you for your concern.

Birthday Recap:

The High School Musical party was a smash. Hotdogs and chips for HSM I,and ice cream cake for HSM II

The HSM messenger bag was a big hit. We're getting her a laptop. She cried.

Hard to believe The Child is 14. And yes, she's still The Child. No matter how old she gets, she's still my baby and nothing will change that. This is a lesson I learned early, long before I was a mother. Once I was visiting my Grandma with the folks. Dame Judi had been out in the garden with her dad. When she came into the house G'ma called out, "Did you wipe your feet, Judi?"

I looked at my mother with astonishment. Here was a grown woman, mother of 4 grown children, a grandmother herself and G'ma asked if she'd wiped her feet. "You're always your mom's child, aren't you?" I asked. "Yep," DJ replied. So there you have it. Years from now I'll be vlogging about her wedding and still be calling her The Child. That's just the way it is, my puppies.

Addiction Recap:

I have been playing Sims2 like a crazy person. I have this one family, the Patton-Eisenhowers. They are amazing. 4 kids and Elinor is pregnant with their 5th. Meanwhile, their eldest, Jacqueline, has become an adult, got married to Kennedy Obama-Clinton and just gave birth to baby Erin. Meanwhile, both Bradley and Elinor are about to turn into Elders, which scares me because then they'll die and I've become very attached to them. Plus, Caroline is about to turn into an adult, with Julia not far behind. I'm afraid that Bradley and Elinor will die before little John has become a teenager, not to mention what's going to happen to the new baby (who will probably be born today).

You don't care, do you. Pft.

Multi-media Alert:

Tonight is the premiere of the Iwanski/Winter show over on Bosky Radio West. I'm so excited that I can hardly stand it. It's gonna be huge, people, and finally the name of Iwanski will be a household word, as well it should be. Tune it, 7pm Central time. Show the Iwanski some love.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Must get Sims!

(Love the names!)

January 29, 2008 10:29 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Glad the headache is gone, I know where it went. Pass the advil, please make it 800mgs.

And it works the other way, too, I'm close to 50 and still call my dad, "Daddy."

January 29, 2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I think there is a space station on the moon only we're not supposed to know anything about it, but the knowledge seeped into your brain somehow and now it's up to YOU to uncover the conspiracy before the bad guys blow us all to bits.

Hi, I watch too much television.

January 29, 2008 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

WOOHOO for Iwanski!
WOOHOO for The Child!
WOOHOO to Sims!
Alas, no woohoo for SOTU Bingo as my Bingo Card that you sent me would not open the file. GRR! That's okay. I only got 10 minutes into it before the hives kicked in and I had to turn the damn thing off. I spent the greater part of the evening sipping tea and enjoying a good book. Me=Boring.

January 29, 2008 2:44 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

my daughter is a sims nut too. Thank you for the recap, i dont feel like i have been away that long now.

January 29, 2008 2:56 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Another really cool thing about the next SOTU, at least 2 of the 3 people on that stage will be minority.

January 29, 2008 4:20 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Happy celebratory woo-hoos to all the lovely,and endearing kids !!
Now,the SOTU..
1)I heard the shrub acknowledge every single thing about the current climate situation,as if HE was the one that figured it out!

b) What's with the tie thing anyway?
As near as I can figure,Cheney kicks it with the "Bloods",and Bush hangs with the "Crips"..Either way,Romney is a white man's worst nightmare.

12)How can Bush stand up there in front of God,and my great aunt Doris,and keep repeating the mantra,grinning all the while like we're supposed to forget,"Trust the people..Empower the people!"..R.U.F'n.Kidding Me??
This guy will live forever in my memory as the man who did nothing but foster DIStrust,and rape the Bill of Rights like it was passed out on extasy...
..but I rant.
I used to play SimCity,but the town always went bankrupt.
Happily,I always came out with the big house on the hill.

January 29, 2008 6:30 PM  
Blogger sfoofie opined...

freaking great recap. glad toomey the tumor is gone (i named it, hope you don't mind)
happy b-day to the child! my little sis bday is this weekend and she is getting a HSM b-day party too. I got her all this HSM garb and I'm super psyched to see her reaction! what a great day for iwanski-kind. and everyone else. what a great day in general

January 29, 2008 7:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

If you get it, Anne, just understand this...that laundry situation of yours will NOT improve.

So sorry I passed on the brain tumor. Damn interwebs...

Red, I fully support your whole 'staying in, saving the bucks' thing but dude, you gotta stay away from the "Discovery" channel.

Bugger it, Hat. Trust, you can even handle an hour of the Shrub with a SOTU bingo card. Bollocks.

Oh, my Mouse, how I love you.

Twisi, dude, don't think I wasn't think that...I had a total flash on Nancy in the Speaker's chair and frakkin' Obama walking down the aisle and I was tingly, I tell ya, TINGLY!

Sling, so true, so true, so true. Seriously, if we can negotiate the next -what-356 days- and get his miserable ass out of office it will be a happy, happy day. Worst. President. EVER.

January 29, 2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sfoofie! Oh, my little cake girl! I think it is lovely that you named my tumor and since he/she does come around from time to time, I'll try and remember that very fitting name.

How come YOU didn't call into the big debut show, huh? Huh?

January 29, 2008 9:14 PM  
Blogger Pamelamama opined...

Wow, fourteen! Happy birthday to the big big girl!!

February 02, 2008 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home