Thursday, January 03, 2008

A Super Quick Update On Real Life Because There Was a New Project Runway Last Night

Thanks for all your good wishes yesterday. Thought you'd be pleased to know that it went very well.

Confidentiality is something we organizers value (people aren't going to have you sorting through their stuff if they think you're going to blabbity blab about it to other people). Thus, I can't give you details. But I can tell you this: I was nervous. It rather surprised me, the butterflies that leapt to my throat as I pulled up to the house. Then I realized it was because this was the true test. Sure, I've been organizing people - friends, bosses, family - for years. But this was someone I didn't know. All a sudden, I wasn't so sure if I had the chops to dive into some stranger's project without knowing any of the sorts of personal stories/details/what-have-you that make it easy to sort out a friend's kitchen.

Pleasant surprise: I have chops. The space was benignly Dickensian in it's towering bookshelves and dusty piles but in 4 hours I had done an initial sort-purge-and-tidy that impressed even myself. I go back today. And The Client was making noises about "other projects".

Point is, I actually do understand basic principles (or have made up ones that make sense to me...not sure which) that allow me to do this stuff for strangers. And that is wicked.

But wait. There's more. 2, that would be t-w-o, people asked me for my card while I was on this project. One, a professional person who doesn't really do what I do but has clients who need someone who does what I do. The other, a friend of The Client.

Hold on. It gets better! This is so a niche for me. I knew that when I started this little enterprise but it was so nice to have that confirmed. The 4 hours I spent yesterday absolutely flew by. When I left I was was positively buzzing with energy. See, that's the thing I really love about this work. It is physical work, it's mental and it's work that has an almost immediate result. It's not abstract, it's right there in front of me in the neatly stacked boxes and revealed table tops. And I'm telling you, only a very few other things in my life have ever given me that sort of energizing feeling and those, my friend, are precisely the things on which I intend to focus this year.

Yes, this is all brand new. Somewhere along the line there will be some impossible client or evil job. Sure; practically speaking handing out cards doesn't guarantee work. But what a fab start, huh? And how blessed am I to be able to do something enjoyable for ducats? And how further blessed am I that so many of you are rooting for me? Pretty darned blessed, I reckon.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love it when you say "ducats."

January 03, 2008 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Okay, your lengthy title is totally over-writing my comment, which really wasn't all that witty in the first place, so I'm not going to bother to repost it.

January 03, 2008 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I meant that my comment was not witty, your title is witty plenty.

January 03, 2008 9:17 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Congrats on your success! I can see it now... "Blog World Business Woman of the Year.... Lorraine"

January 03, 2008 9:20 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I guess that should have been "business person"

January 03, 2008 9:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know you do, Poodle. And I could totally read your comment, so there. Including the 3rd one. Now get back to work.

Thanks, Twisi. And I'm down with that title.

January 03, 2008 9:41 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

A few days into the New Year and it is already rockin' for you. Yee-haw!

January 03, 2008 10:05 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I love having friends with chops.

January 03, 2008 12:45 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Damn right lady - you got chops and then some. Congratulations.

January 03, 2008 2:10 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Lorraine, I don't mean to get all bossy and stuff, especially because you probably already know and are doing this. But just in case. From one long time freelancer.

Right now, when you're absolutely so clear on those there chops o' yours, I hope you sit down and write them down. Well, write down the moments when you knew they manifestd themselves. You saw the stacks of charming Dickensian shit and instantly envisioned the solution because ... you have a naturally excellent spatial sense, you've developed a spatial vocabulary. Or maybe because you're particularly good at hearing/understanding your Client's needs, maybe even helping your Client articulate them. Blah blah blah. You get the point.

This will be SO useful for you to know and own when you have to talk to prospective other clients (although best case scenario is that word of mouth turns you into The Queeeeeen of Organization). And when you have to do any marketing, you know so much better what you know and what your unique skills are and why you're the Super Duper Best.

January 03, 2008 2:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm kinda lovin' it, KA.

Mmmm...chops...maybe brined with some sort of little sherry sauce, Buck?

(curtsies in Willym's general direction)

That is excellent advice, Booda, and I shall heed it as I heed all things Boodatudinous. Thanks. Boss away.

January 03, 2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger Otilia opined...

http://www.nsgcd.org/index.php

If you have not been here, please go to this link. It has a lovely hoarder's scale, which will give you much to ponder, & perhaps write about.

January 03, 2008 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Edy! My God, how I've missed you!

January 03, 2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

What JP said!

January 05, 2008 6:05 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And thanks,Edy, btw...what an excellent resource.

January 05, 2008 6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home