Friday, December 21, 2007

Still Not a Christmas Song. Also, Not Really a Solstice Song.


Update: my headache is gone and furthermore, The Child informed me yesterday afternoon that we didn't have to go to the Advent Concert because the 8th grade wasn't singing. Whoo to the hoo!







I wanted to play something that had particular meaning on this, the anniversary of the day The Spouse asked me to marry him. Sure, for your pagans and Celts this is the winter solstice and you're all watching the live streaming feed from Newgrange to see the ancient tomb fill with light as it does only on this day every year (actually, guess you already watched it if you were going to). But for me, while the poetry of bare branches and the promise that is inherent in this, the shortest day, have some sway, it's mostly about the fact that this is the anniversay of The Spouse deciding I was a catch. And sure, it could have been the beer talking, but he followed through and married me 9 months later so it was obviously sincere.

I love my Spouse. I really do. We've been through a bit of a patch lately, with our worries and such. We both have a tendency to get into our own heads when that happens and not talk to each other so much. Or if we talk it's because I want to but he doesn't really and, well, that never goes particularly well. Especially because my talking often takes the form of "processing", as it does with women, wherein I'm saying a lot of different things to try and come to a place of clarity and he, being a guy, doesn't really do that and finds it annoying.

But somewhere along the way we've come out of it and we're again laughing at each other's jokes and speaking kindly and not flying off the handle at the least little provocation, which is so much more pleasant.

Marriage, "they" say, is hard work. "They" weren't kidding. It can be very difficult, when you live side by side, day in and day out, to keep things fresh, to have conversations about things other than kids and money and stuff that needs to be done to the house and what should be on the menu this week. It's easy to start acting more like room-mates than lovers. But if you stop long enough to think about why you asked that "will you" question in the first place, or why you said "OK", you can usually find your way back to the lovers side of the equation. Which is a very good thing.

I was going to play "Heroes" but I couldn't. So instead I'm going to play the exact opposite, an angry little ditty, more appropriate to my experience before The Spouse.

Rumor has it that the record company didn't spend a lot of money on this video because they didn't think the song would go anywhere. Boy, were they wrong about that.


Alanis Morisette "You Oughta Know"

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Totally not the video I was expecting after that writeup.

Which is ironic, don't you think?

December 21, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Like rain on your wedding day, baby.

December 21, 2007 9:09 AM  
Blogger colleen opined...

From Newgrange to Alanis. I love and miss them both. I've seen Newgrange but not this video, so thanks.

December 21, 2007 9:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome, Colleen. And thanks for stopping by!

December 21, 2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Nice juxtaposition of benevolent prose,and angry music kid!.. :)
(okay..I saw the word "juxtaposition" over on Hat's blog,and wanted to use it)..

December 21, 2007 9:30 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

We should go to a movie honey

December 21, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I love it when you call me "kid", Sling.

Oh, honey, that's so sweet. Wait a minute....

December 21, 2007 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

'Jagged Little Pill' kicked my ass when I first heard it. She's much more folksy sounding now. And then a decade later, Avril Levine would show up and remind us yet again how it is never a good idea to piss off a Canadian girl. They are batshit crazy.
Blessed be.

December 21, 2007 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

HAHAA HAHA! I just got what Eric said to you! Oy...uncomfortable.

December 21, 2007 10:39 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Don't forget Robin Sparkles.

Let's go to the Ma-all

December 21, 2007 11:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, love those angry Canadian rocker chicks.

And I know, right?

Love me some Robin Sparkles, honey.

December 21, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Ummmm, the last post and the salt water thing? Used in ER's in the 60's and 70's to make people throw up.

As for your spouse writing...you captured the feeling beautifully...pissy then lovey dovey. Men.

December 21, 2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

OH, and the song...too much head swinging...she has a headache too...

December 21, 2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

See? That's what I get for listening to your daughter the not-nurse.

As for the other, my friend Nancy used to say, "Men. Can't live with 'em, can't throw 'em in the hayer when you're done with 'em". Never entirely sure what that meant but I'm sure she was right.

December 21, 2007 1:21 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I wanted so much not to resort to having an anthem, but what ARE you going to do when Alanis got it so right? You're going to have an anthem. And I was never even angry at a man. Ever. True's true, though.

I'm glad you met and married someone who made something else true. (And that's what else is wrong with Alanis. Anything you say AFTER her sounds like Hallmark. I sound like Hallmark alot which is strange since I'm not. I think it has something to do with blogging.)

December 21, 2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

No, Booda, you always sound perfectly Boodalicious.

December 21, 2007 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary, HAAAAAAPPPPPY Anniversary.

Well, okay, not your wedding anniversary, but still an important date to commemorate nonetheless.

Can't make up my mind about Alanis. I like Ani DiFranco, though, does that count?

December 21, 2007 5:36 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm with JP, not the video I was expecting, but predictable, you ain't. Happy Proposal Day!

December 21, 2007 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

For the record, I did not toss my cookies when I drank warm salt water after too much red wine. In fact, the advice given to me was from a much older gentleman who swore it worked wonders. And it did. So pft to you all. And to all a good night. (:

December 21, 2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Syd, the mere fact that you "sang" the Flintstones anniversary song pretty much exempts you from any and all, including not being that into Alanis.

KA, which begs the question...what video might you and JP have been expecting? And thanks.

Hat, no one blames you, least of all me and I was the one wot drank the sea water. And just wait til you try the champagne I got for Christmas morning....

December 21, 2007 9:56 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I spent last night "in" -- not because I'm unpopular, but because I'm flat broke. I watched a movie, then channel surfed until landing on VH-1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 90's" -- this song was in the Top 20, if I recall -- and the reactions of the men vs. the women were predictable but hilarious.

If I ever get married, Alanis' "Everything" will be played at my reception. Because nothing says true love like "I can be an @$$#0!e of the grandest kind ..."

December 22, 2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Whoa- glad someone said anniversary, I damn near zoned on 21 legal coming around in a few days! Talk about acting like a man!

December 23, 2007 5:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, Red, I gotta see that show...notes must be taken...

(And honey, trust, I would never assume you were home of an evening due to a lack of options).

Dora: tee.

December 23, 2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger Leah opined...

Sounds like a song I'd dedicate to my spouse ;)

Merry Christmas!

December 23, 2007 8:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Would that be Mr. Duplicity, Leah? (Jerk). Merry Christmas to you, too!

December 24, 2007 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

happy christmas lorraine
charlie

December 25, 2007 1:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's a Christmas miracle! Happy Christmas to you, too, Charlie. Pft.

December 25, 2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Congrats to the both of you -- and what a great memory to have with the shortest darkest day of the year. Cheers! Marriage is damn hard work, hope you all celebrated heartily.

Ironically (har har), solstice day was actually the beginning of the end of my own marriage, back in '94, and Alanis' song WAS my anthem. I still love her ass-kicking attitude on that one.

I'm very glad that your solstice brought you out of whatever came before, and is still going strong. Congrats and merry merry, and er, hope you enjoyed the movie...

December 26, 2007 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home