Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Best Christmas Eve Ever

Fresh from the miracle of the Concierge Who Saved Christmas, we settled in to enjoy the rest of our evening, rife as it was with all the "things we usually do", which is the very definition of liturgy.

Lovely Mass with cherubic children in pink cassocks and white robes, singing gorgeous songs from all over the globe and the kind, generous spirit of Father R. There is something so profound in the way we celebrate that even if, in the run-up to Christmas Eve I haven't felt "it" yet, for sure the Christmas spirit will descend during that Mass.

The Spouse took the lake route home from the Cathedral so we could ooh and aah at Christmas lights and once at home we fired up all our own Christmas lights and dined on crusty Noel bread, butternut squash and apple soup (which I poured out of a carton from Trader Joe's and which tasted like heaven, thankyouverymuch) and a salad of mixed greens and pears in shallot vinaigrette.

We decorated the tree, with Hat in charge of noting where empty spots needed to be filled.

We followed our tradition of trekking outside to "the enchanting creche in the woods" and sang "Away in the Manger", then came inside to listen to Christmas music, drink gin and tonics (very appropriate, what with the piney scent of the gin) and enjoy the lights of the Christmas tree.

There is a silly song, originally recorded by Jona Lewie, called "Stop the Cavalry". Because it has the line "wish I was home for Christmas" it makes the play list of a local rock station's holiday extravaganza (they play the cover by the Cory Band but the original is better). Anypolka, the oompa beat of the song strikes The Spouse and I as terribly amusing and we dance to it, our own little ridiculous dance. But it's another one of those things that has become a thread in the fabric of our Christmas traditions. The fact that someone else was actually witness to it, well, that couldn't be helped.

(Warning: Right at the end I say a not too Christmas-y word and I'm ashamed and sincerely apologize. But I still have to play the video because it makes me laugh to hear Hat laughing).



The Child and I argued over who would read "The Night Before Christmas" (but I won because I'm the mom. Ha), then she was shooed to bed. This was a crucial year for The Child. She was in conflict. Of course, at nearly 14, she knows intellectually that Santa is a myth but she was very sad to think that admitting as much would mean the death of Christmas magic. There were many conversations about this, including some with Auntie Hat, and we did our best to assure her that no matter what we know, there is a beauty and magic to the season which we still feel every year. I wasn't sure this made her any happier but she put out a cookie and eggnog for Santa, an apple for the reindeer and bade us good night.

The adults had some more drinks, some more conversation and then realized with a start that it was midnight. We turned on the TV to watch the beginning of Midnight Mass at the Cathedral, getting all excited and pointy whenever we spotted The Neighbor singing in the choir. And then it was time for all good children, including the grown ones, to go to sleep.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Sling opined...

I LOVE the Oompa -Loompa dance!..Ahahaha!..wait,..I'm gonna watch it again..

December 28, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..AHAHAHA!..

December 28, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm glad it made you happy, Sling.

December 28, 2007 12:45 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

you guys are so silly. i like you...

December 28, 2007 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

***chortle***

***snerf***

***giggle***

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

December 28, 2007 3:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, good, I would think that it would have scared you, Mon.

Someone pat Syd on the back. I think she's choking on a candy cane.

December 28, 2007 4:12 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

What's two nice kids like you doing in the chorus line when you should be in.... Bah Boom... rim shot!...the unemployment line!

Love it and the background vocals... was that an angel in the field appearing?

December 28, 2007 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh I shall never grow tired of watching that. You people have no idea how heeeelarious those kooky folks are. I laughed the entire time, ya know, in case you hadn't guessed that already.

December 28, 2007 5:42 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Did you post this late? I coulda sworn it wasn't here when I commented on your Erik-with-a-K post this morning.

December 28, 2007 6:02 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I could not have missed that de-light-ful dance! you must have posted it late.

December 28, 2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Willym, that your way of saying "don't quit your day job"? You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Hatty Hat, bwahahaha. You're easily amused.

Anne, I actually wrote the post yesterday but was waiting for the video from Hat and when I got the video uploaded I forgot to change the time stamp. Which is just as well, probably.

December 28, 2007 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

At least I wasn't drinking eggnog--I'd have killed my keyboard! ;)

December 28, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

So you don't decorate your tree until the 24th either. I was brought up with that tradition (Polish Mum) but it's had to give way to the Divine L's rituals, which is cool... but it's nice to know someone's still doing it right ;-)

January 02, 2008 4:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dariush, yes, we are all about the 12 Days here and frankly, we're pretty much the only folks I know who do it on the scale we do -what with waiting on the tree and ending on the 6th with a 12th Night party - but I like it a lot. Makes Christmas very Christmas-y because we're celebrating it when the commercial push is all done and well, by Epiphany we're ready to move on, having kept the season as best we could.
6th

January 02, 2008 6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home