Monday, December 31, 2007

Auld Lang Syne

Looky what I got:



pretty little mother o' pearl spoon for the proper enjoyment of caviar. I started my day in the mellow and lovely Seattle Caviar shop, purchasing, what else?, caviar for tonight's latkes (paddlefish...like osetra but way less expensive) and some pate de fois gras. We'll enjoy that with a bottle of the Orange Widow and I. can't. wait.

The Spouse and I will be ringing in the New Year alone this year. The Child is off with The Boy. Rumor has it they will be at the Space Needle watching it light up at midnight. She's pretty excited.

As I was on my way to the caviar shop the local NPR station was doing a program, asking about individuals song for 2007...the song that meant the most or was most reflective of the year past. It was fun and started me thinking about what song summed up this year for me. It's harder than it sounds.There were some 80s songs that came to mind, what with all the time JP and I spent at the club this year. But then, 80s music is pretty much always my soundtrack and nothing really stood out. I considered "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, which is my theme song for these emerging days of parenting a teenager. But that's only one part of my life. I thought of "Chicago", given our stellar visit there this year and all our peeps there (shout out, y'all). But again, just part of the overall experience.

I ended up being forced to look a little more deeply at what 2007 has meant for me. You well know it's been a year of challenge regarding the whole "what am I going to be when I grow up" thing. I expect there will be actual movement on that front in '08, so long as I apply myself. Which is sometimes hard for me. There have been ups and downs with the family, but more ups than not and our current state of bliss is a reminder that you have to hang on in the valleys if you want to regain the peaks. This has been a year, fundamentally, about believing in myself and what I want, about how the most valuable things don't come without effort. Kind of a funny thing, really, when you think about this being my jubilee year. I mean, really, oughtn't a person to have figured that out by the time she's 50? It's pretty basic, after all.

But better late than never.

I'm blessed. I love my husband. My kid shows signs of turning into a reasonable human being. I've got awesome friends. I've got you. There's money enough to buy caviar and champagne. There are only 386 days left of the Bush presidency. I've got a lot to do in '08 and that's a good thing, even if some of it scares me a little.

So here's to growing up, to hanging in there, to believing in the best and trying hard not to mire down too much in the worst; ultimately, here's to perseverance. *clinkies*

Oh, and yeah, this is my song for '08. And it gives rise to one resolution for 2008: I really have to start listening to something other than Radio Disney.

Happy New Year, kids. I love you.



Jonas Brothers "Hold On"

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

*clinkies*

Happy New Year, Lorraine! I can't remember how I got here, but I'm sure glad I did!

mmmm...caviar...

December 31, 2007 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Three cheers for new years - hip hip hooray!!! (and then ditto. twice.)

Know why 2007 was so good to me? Cuz I got to meet you in person and laugh with you and cry with you and jump up and down in giddy unison with you.
Happy New Year my wonderful friend! 2008 will be deeelightful! You'll see. (:

December 31, 2007 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

HNY Nayb - great New Year's tribute. Sorry I missed the Saturday fete - am I still invited for tonight? I'll bring more caviar if you tell me where to get it and what kind. My mom probably won't post due to the late hour.
Lemme know -

xo nayb

December 31, 2007 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'll junderstand if you and the Spouse want a private evening.... you can be straight with me - I can take it -

xo n

December 31, 2007 1:55 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I can't believe I actually know someone that not only has her own very abalone caviar spoons,but looks perfectly at home wearing a tiara!..
Happy New Year Rainey!

December 31, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Happy New Year to you, too, darling Syd!

I know, right? Seriously, Hat, how is it we've only actually known each other since September but it feels like a lifetime. In a good way! Cheers!

Come on over, Neighb...there are plenty of little spoons! Romance? Pft.

I'll be donning it tonight, Sling...happy New Year, doll!

December 31, 2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Happy New Year....enjoy your celebration and your new spoons!

December 31, 2007 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I want to come have caviar and champagn-ya with you and Spouse and Neighbor.

I don't think I can make it by midnight, though.

December 31, 2007 4:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Happy new year, Sister-face! Love to all the fam.

JP, you realize that if you left right now it would still be two hours earlier here than it is there. Right?

December 31, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Cool spoons.

All happiness and good things in 2008 Lady for you, The Spouse and The Child. The Tiara and the spoons - we want pictures.

January 01, 2008 3:53 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Sounds like a swell evening to me! May the new year bring all good things to you and yours Cuz.

January 01, 2008 7:09 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Happy New Year to you and yours Lorraine.

January 01, 2008 7:51 AM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

happy new year! to you and the family.

i'm sure 2008 will treat you even better than 2007. how could it not with caviar and pate to help ring it in?

January 01, 2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

You sound like a contented woman. I think it more than the cool spoons.
Blessings on you and yours in 2008.

January 01, 2008 12:33 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Beautiful post. And I hope the caviar was scrumptious.

January 01, 2008 2:12 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Hope your celebration was all that you wanted it to be, Lorraine. I think 2008 will be a good year for all of us. I'm not sure if it works with mother of pearl, but people actually "play the spoons." A little concertina, an accordion, sling on guitar and hat on piano....we are set to make it big!

January 01, 2008 6:53 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

Happy '08, "lo". here's to eating canned ravioli with mother of pearl spoons... pasta on earth!

January 01, 2008 9:28 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

What a wonderful way to take stock. Things are never as bad as they seem to be, are they?

I'm jealous about the little caviar spoons! But I got really excellent little tuxedos with which to 'dress' my wine bottles.

January 02, 2008 4:35 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

It really has been a wonderful year, 'cause I got to know and love you and The Family, and now I have peeps in Seattle. (Hi Nayb!. . wave. . .)
LOVE the caviar spoons. Can't wait to try them out.

*squack!* (New Year's kiss)

January 02, 2008 7:52 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I am a dope! I should've brought you Beluga from Turkey. I decided to not get any for myself because it had nothing to do with anything but I love caviar and no one else does and now I find out YOU do and I am a DOPE! I should've thought SOMEONE wanted a nice little pot, cheap.

I hope yours was heavenly.

January 02, 2008 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home