Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Ragbag of My Mind

I am reading Steve Martin's autobiography, Born Standing Up. It is interesting because Steve Martin is interesting. Parts of it are very amusing because Steve Martin is funny. It's a little suspenseful, because I keep waiting for the part where he talks about the woman he is destined to meet and marry because then he'll be talking about me but I haven't gotten there yet.

The book is highly readable and interesting from a pop cultural perspective. But it is missing one thing I've come to expect from Steve Martin in the printed word...poetry. Or, if there is poetry it is a phrase tucked in among the recounting of names, places and ideas. I'm not complaining, because it's still Steve Martin and therefore well written.

Last night, though, I read something that made me stop and read again. Then I read it one more time and then I turned down the corner of the page so I could come back to it and it is this:

"The consistent work enhanced my act. I learned a lesson: It was easy to be great. Every entertainer has a night when everything is clicking. These nights are accidental and statistical: Like lucky cards in poker, you can count on them occurring over time. What was hard was to be good, consistently good, night after night, no matter what the abominable circumstances".

And I thought, wow. Isn't that just a general lesson for life? "It is easy to be great...what is hard is to be good, consistently good"... I think I'm going to put that up over my desk.

Everyone knows that feeling of hitting it out of the park; thinking specifically of blogging, we've all had those days of 100 hits (or 1000, depending on who you are), of rafts of comments left saying, 'oh, my but you are brilliant!' and it feels great. But, yeah, that whole notion of "great" as a statistical fact versus the challenging of effort of striving to be "consistently good"...that has some wheels turning. And it applies to everything, not just comedy or blogging, lest you think I missed my own point.

"Consistently good"... gonna be sitting with that one for a while.



I realized last night what I am loving most about this election cycle: it's a free-for-all. In a good way. It isn't often that we have an election where there is no incumbent on either side and it's been even longer, I think, since we've seen a cycle without an "heir apparent".

Consequently, we do not know what is going to happen from week to week...Barack in Iowa, Hillary in New Hampshire...hey, Edwards could win South Carolina...we just don't know. And good on Clinton for winning last night. But the 3 point margin by which she won over Obama suggests that she's not going to be coasting into the White House. No, pups, we've got a 3 way race on the Democratic side and part of what is awesome is that it is reflective of a very important fact, one we have not enjoyed for many a year: we have 3 strong candidates in the front-runner position and most Democrats would be perfectly content with either of them.

Hello? How long has it been since you felt excited, truly excited, about your candidate? (Sure, Bill. How far back do you have to go to find someone else? Yeah, see, most of you weren't even born yet).

On the GOP side we have the same thing. And pardon my mess, but I'm just giddy about McCain's victory. "Que?" says you. A) I have always liked John McCain. I hate his position on the war and I would never vote for him but 2) anyone who hands another "silver" to Mitt Romney is OK in my book. Mitt Romney makes my skin crawl, in a "maggots on the garbage can lid" sort of way. I would love to see a back and forth between Huckabee and McCain...it would only take a few weeks I suspect, and Mitt would go away. (Oh, wait. Forgot about the fact that he's loaded and could probably finance his own campaign up until the convention. Shoot. I want to be shod of him).

Yep, I love this wonky stuff.

OH! and there was this analysis sort of thing going on at NPR last night and the question went to why all the enthusiasm and the huge turnouts among Democrats and blah, blah, blah and they were talking about what Clinton has and what Obama has blah blah blah and I thought, "Ding, dong! The enthusiasm and high turnout owe to the fact that we're sick to death of what has happened in this country over the last 7 years and we want it the h-e-double hockey sticks to change, ya morons". Only I didn't actually think they were morons because it was NPR we are talking about. But still. Seriously.

And you know me...we could go on and on like this for days but I have a client today so must away.

Go out there and be consistently good.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Doralong opined...

I'm consistently bad at being good.. does that count?

January 09, 2008 8:23 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I'm digging the "consistently good" thought. Certainly worthy of a post-it on my monitor.

January 09, 2008 8:47 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I don't usually read non-fiction, but Steve might be a need to read book. I am reading Eat, Pray, Love (might be out of sequence) and have been turning pages down like crazy. I like John too in a way....he is a decent human being exceot for the war thing.

January 09, 2008 9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Lorraine, YOu have always been consistently GREAT! in my book.
And I'm not angling for anything.

January 09, 2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

What are you? A great mother or something? Oh. Yes. You are. I think it was really nice and excellent and sweet and warm of you to pretend you didn't know alllll about that consistently good thing.

January 09, 2008 9:52 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

On Steve Martin: I don't suppose our three year romance is detailed in there? Oh, right ... I dreamt that. Never mind.

On politics: I'm very happy about last night, not only because "my girl" got a win, but because the pollsters were so totally unbelievably WRONG about something and I hope it encourages voters to vote the way THEY want, and not just for the person that the media has staged a premature coronation for. The stupid, overblown, corporate media being wrong wrong wrong and having to eat crow all day today is giddy-dance-inducing.

As many commentors on my blog have said, I hope that Obama, Clinton, and Edwards have the backbone to conduct a primary race that is focused on issues and ideas, not on clever and spurious attacks. Let's hope -- I'd like to see the two who don't win enthusiastically supporting (even stumping for) the eventual nominee. THAT would be grand.

January 09, 2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

In recent times, I've been consistently good about being consistently bitchy.

You know, I thought it was just me getting creeped out by the Mittster -- I have tried to put my finger on what exactly it is about him, and can't really nail it, but he makes me shudder. I seriously would not be completely shocked if he turned out to be one of those reptilian aliens disguised as human to take over the world. What was that show from years back ... "V"? Was that it? Yeah, that's Romney. Reptile Alien in disguise. He is seriously creepy.

I'm liking that the race is so close and unpredictable as well. Kind of forces everyone to really work for it and focus on issues.

January 09, 2008 11:41 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Steve Martin once made a pass at me, you know. Really!!

It was 1981 and they were filming Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. The cast was staying at the hotel where I was working. . . .

. . . .oh, wait. That was Dom DeLouise.

Nevermind.

January 09, 2008 12:27 PM  
Blogger evilganome opined...

Consistently good. Now that is something to strive for! I love Steve Martin too. Mostly because he is what is becoming increasingly rare, an intelligent, talented performer.

As for the race. I love Hillary, but I am not sure she should be president. I do not love Obama. I like Edwards. I think in the end though, I am not sure

I am crazy about any of them. I also think that the current regime has made such a, in the words of Cowbell, Charlie Fox of the country, that whoever takes over this mess is in for a long hard road. I also have less and less faith in my fellow citizens. It would be nice to be proven wrong.

And Cowbell is right. Romney was our governor. Definitely not of this world. He also did a grand job of screwing up the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Governor Patrick is having a grand time trying to sort things out.

January 09, 2008 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm consistently hungry.

I love Steve Martin as well, and will be pulling out Eric's hair, when I meet him in the Spring.

I am not a Hillary campaigner, or complainer. I would love a three person combo for President. A Jollaryack Obintwards, so to speak. I will be happy voting for any of the three should they get the nomination. I think you are consistently good by the by...

January 09, 2008 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Every clever thing I was about to say just went out the window with the words; Jollaryack Obintwards.
YES! That's it precisely! For the first time since I've been old enough to vote, I will have solid options. None of this lesser of two evils crap. No sir. Jollaryack Obintwards all the way!

January 09, 2008 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I think being truly funny requires a great deal of intelligence, and Steve foots the bill.

And this is where I need to remind you that I do not find Jim Carrey funny.

January 09, 2008 3:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

As long as you are consistent, Doralong.

Kimberly Ann, See?

It's a slim volume, Rosie, thus conducive to the mindset of folks like us (I don't read a lot of non-fiction, either).

That's very kind of you, Greeny.

Booda, pft. But I do try. My future husband inspires me to try harder.

Red, again I say, pft. I'd like to think the candidates aren't going to have any CHOICE but to address the issues...oh, the whole thing just has me dancing around. Loving. It.

Cowbell, no, it's not just you. That man is some serious ass creepy. Eeeewww. I think your alien explanation is the most logical thing I've heard yet.

Buck, pbtttff (that's the sound of milk coming out my nose)

Evilgnome, oh, do give your fellow citizens some credit...the turnout among progressives and young people in these last 2 contests should be enough to start you on that path. People are caring a lot about this and it is tres, tres exciting.

And the things you said about Steve Martin are precisely why I love him so.

I also feel compelled to mention that it is really lovely how my actual husband understands my "future husband" thing for Mr. Martin.

January 09, 2008 3:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, JP, you don't need to remind ME. I find Jim Carrey seriously unfunny and also rather creepy in that indefinable Mitt Romney sort of way.

January 09, 2008 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love Jim Carrey.
I would marry him.

January 09, 2008 4:48 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know that about you, Hat. You can do better.

January 09, 2008 4:52 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

When can we finally say goodbye to Mitt Romney? Cuz I'm ready.

January 09, 2008 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Seriously, dude. When there are maggots on the garbage lid one just holds it over the street and aims a really powerful hose at it. Wonder if that would work with the Mitt?

January 09, 2008 7:09 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Way back when Steve Martin started out,I couldn't stand him..heh..
Then he kept showing up on Carson,and late night kind of shows,and I wondered why this guy is even on TV!...heh,heh..
"The Jerk"...HA!
Saturday Night Live!..BWAHAHA!
The guy is a comic Genius!..just like I said.
I'm a little disappointed that Martin Sheen didn't make a better showing in his home state of New Hampshire,but it ain't over yet.

January 09, 2008 7:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

See, Sling, that's why I'm going to marry him and you're not. Because I always got him.

And the fact that Sheen didn't carry New Hampshire just makes things look all the better for the Sling/Iwanski ticket going into Super Tuesday.

January 09, 2008 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home