Friday, January 04, 2008

A Soapbox, Wherein I Make Excessive Use of Exclamation Points and BTWs


If you just came for the music scroll on down to the bottom because I'm feeling my inner pundit.

Except, of course, I'm not a pundit; just an average citizen who thinks about things and sometimes comes up with fairly accurate crap. Like my little "eyes on Mike Huckabee" of a few months back. Oh, yeah. I'm pretty much all "told ya so" on that one. But I'm not a Republican so we don't care, for the moment, about that nomination. Let's focus, shall we, on what happened on the Dem side of things in Iowa-y last evening.

HA!

Barack Obama with 38% and John "He might look like a Ken doll but if you frakkin' listened to him for 2 minutes you'd be all 'Hillary who?" Edwards with 30%. Hills was just behind with 28%. My point, and I do have one, is that I am so full of hope at the moment I'm scaring myself.

Sure, blah blah blah....happy to see the backside of GWB and his misbegotten sham of a blah blah...vote for whoever the candidate is...blah di blah....

Holy Moses, people, did you see what happened in Iowa last night?

Never even mind that A) Iowa usually gets it right.

2) Turnout was huge. 82% on the Democrat side. 82% when all I've been hearing all week (on NPR, btw) is how people would stay home because of some dimdam college football game or the weather or whatever. HA! They turned out in droves, in living rooms and church halls and then 38% of them went and chose Barack Obama, the guy with the funny name and the skin color "issue". HA!

Again, I say unto you, HA!

Please make note of this, because it is significant: regardless of who is the candidate in the end, a little state in the middle of the country that is best described as purple because of the way it swings from blue to red and back again, a state (I'm told by people who have lived there) of people who think, a little state (immortalized forever in "The Music Man", btw) picked a black guy for their #1. Is America ready for a president who isn't white? Iowa seems to think so.
Let us just savor that for one little moment.

There is subtext to the win of Obama and to the fact that the number 2 spot went to the guy who was seriously outspent by the other candidates. A subtext of yearning for a little something called Hope. That's right. I said "hope".

In this jaded post-9/11 world full of nutters you dare to use that word, sez you.

Yup. Hope, hope, hope. La lalalala hopehope hope-it-y hope. Because what this nation really needs is healing.

The numbers from last night tell me I'm not alone. The vast majority of us are yearning for an end to the savagery that's been done to our Constitution and the fear that's sorta been at the back of just about everything for 7 years. We want, I think, the luxury of feeling good about being American again. We want a president -male or female, black or white- who can speak (eloquently) of hope and what is possible and make us believe it; someone who can heal the rifts, someone who can restore our name in the world community.

For my money either Obama and Edwards can do that and I'm thrilled with their showing last night. Thrilled to my little tiny toes (which are sorely in need of a pedi, btw).

Note: I'm not looking for perfection. I don't object to some frailty, a little humanity, so long as there is a good effort to avoid all out stupidity. And it's plenty early for all my misty-eyed Hallmarkian dreams for the restoration of America to be battered by 11 months of stumbling, bumbling, swiftboating and whatever else this election cycle will hold. Yet, and yet, I'm a pie-eyed optimist and I like that about me.

(Hat knocks on door, smiling sweetly: "Did someone say pie?)


A Paragraph That Has Small Relationship to the Overall Theme of Today's Post but Which Contains Other Things I'd Like to Mention

I find it terribly awesome that both Huckabee and Edwards were way outspent by their competition and got the numbers they did (Huckabee was the #1 Republican choice, in case you hadn't heard). This suggests that having a message that resonates is actually (who'd-a-thunk) more important that how many minutes of ad time you can buy. (Edwards' line: "This is going to be an election, not an auction". I like that. Oh, and you wanna talk about Ken dolls? Have you seen Mitt Romney lately? Eeeeew. He gives me the creeps and not because of the magic underwear).


It's very early and I get that. But I'm telling you, there are winds of change a'blowin' and I'm not referring to the ones currently dancing my Christmas recycling in the street. The winds to which I refer carry the scent of promise. If that is promise (and not something like pine or jasmine, both lovely scents but meaningless in a political context) then I see us American types being in a right happy place a year from now.

Which brings me to today's video: an anthem for heroes and the desire to hope, even if it's ludicrous to do so.

I don't even want to tell you how many videos I reviewed to find the perfect version of this song. There were early ones, that were basically lip syncing to the album version (classic, no question) but they bugged me with their dated late 70s "ooh, is he or isn't he" crap and unfortunate lighting. There was the version from the tour I actually saw back in the '80s, an awesome tour but a rendering of the song that was only so-so...which seems hard to do to this song but there it is.

I kept coming back to this one. Not super sure of the provenance but I'm going to say it's from somewhere in the last 10 years or so. (And hi, when a song is 20 some years old and still sounds this good I think that's when you get to start using words like "classic"). The guitar, in this live version, is close enough to the studio version to suffice (because that was some terrific guitar) and the vocal performance really gets at the passion and yearning in a way even the album version doesn't do.
Also, I am SUCH a sucker for that whole Sebastian-Flyte-floppy-haired-pretty-boy-in-a-suit-aesthetic.



David Bowie "Heroes"

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm not as optimistic. I'm concerned that Huckabee would be the worst thing to happen to this country since GWB.

I'm glad that Guliani was pretty much a no-show. He would be the 2nd worst thing since GWB.

Mostly, I'm glad it was Iowa and not Nebraska because I haven't picked a Dem yet.

January 04, 2008 8:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, but you see, Bright Eyes, either Edwards or Obama would spank the pants off of Huckabee.

And also, and you know how I feel about these things, Huckabee doesn't have the worst economic policies on the planet. And his faith, though scary to those of us not of a fundamentalist persuasion, strikes me as genuine. Far more so that W. I probably need to pay a little more attention to him before I get all pundity on you but he doesn't scare me anywhere near as much as Romney does.

January 04, 2008 9:05 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

i forgot giuliani was even in it. i totally forgot. huckabee makes me uncomfortable. as for the dems, my reaction was "...dude". and that was all. wow.

January 04, 2008 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

lol, and had the Dem's done poorly last night you totally could have used Bowie's "I'm Afraid Of Americans" song! tee
I like when you get all pundity on our collective asses. You wrote an awesome post! I am just lazy. ):

January 04, 2008 10:12 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I thought you'd be pleased when I heard the reports on the radio this morning.

Interestingly, the sentiments expressed in the BBC Radio 4 analysis (re: America needing/wanting to heal) were very similar to yours.

The next few months are going to be fascinating to watch.

January 04, 2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

But seriously, Barack's lips are blue....I sure hope he has a physical soon....I would hate to see him in the hospital next to Dick because he ignored a little tug at his heart.

January 04, 2008 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

And I thought that Kerry would trounce Dubya because everyone had by that time seen what a disaster GWB was....

I'm more afraid of the idea that Huckabee's fundamentalist faith is genuine, than I would be if I thought he was as big a hypocrite as the aforementioned idjit in the White House. Did you ever read The Handmaid's Tale? Or one of Robert Heinlein's Future History stories called "If This Goes On--", featuring a USA in the control of a theocratic dictatorship begun by a religious fanatic who was elected as President?

***shudder*** Overt religiosity and politics just don't seem to mix all that well.

Not that I have an opinion. Good post, though. :)

January 04, 2008 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I love it when you call me Bright Eyes.

But I'm with Syd on the genuine faith thing. Huckabee actually said (years ago) that women should be home raising babies, because that's the way Jesus wants it. (shivers up my spine.)

January 04, 2008 10:59 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

There was a CNN poll this morning on Obama VS the Huckster.

It was a 62/38 percent split favoring Obama.

January 04, 2008 11:23 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Loves me some Bowie- especially the Thin White Duke phase.. That said-

Was tickled pink with the Iowa results. And being ever the guarded pessimist- I want to be hopeful, I really do. My faith has been so sorely tested the last seven years I wonder if my heart can take it if it all comes crashing down again.

January 04, 2008 11:51 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I stick my fingers in my ears whenever something even remotely sounding like "Republican" is said, so I haven't been following that crowd. I'll eventually become reasonable and listen at least a little to what they say, but for now, I'm only focusing on the Dem run off. I've liked Edwards since last time around, so I'd be happy with either Johnnie or Barack as P (the other as VP, natch).

As much as I would like to see a woman as President, I don't think it will be Hillary. Just a little too devisive.

Somebody shake me when the conventions begin. I'll be in the corner singing Heroes until then.

January 04, 2008 12:19 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

As I've said before, I'd MUCH prefer a president with the middle name of Hussein compared to one with the middle name of Walker.

"Walker". Makes me shudder.

January 04, 2008 2:28 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I almost cried during Obama's speech last night, it was beautiful.

January 04, 2008 4:24 PM  
Blogger dmarks opined...

Alright, Huckabama!

I think I saw Bowie sing that live, a long time ago.

Lorraine: More like Edwards would sue the pants off Huckabee. It's not exactly an honest profession he is in.

Guiliani? Is he even still running? And I wonder if someone woke Fred Thompaon to let him know the results.

January 04, 2008 6:44 PM  
Blogger dmarks opined...

twisi: I did not hear Obama's speech last night. I did hear HALF of his speech at the Democratic National Convention years ago, and was greatly impressed. Such a contrast between him, a true uniter, and Hillary, who bases her campaign on running people down and driving them apart.

January 04, 2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I think Rudy forgot he's in it, Monica.

Pft, Hat. You're the wind beneath my wings. That takes effort.

See? See? I could be a pundit for the BBC!

Dariush, I understand there were a large number of foreign journalists credentialled (sp?) to cover the caucus...it is a good reminder to us that the whole world has an interest in America getting its...well, you know where I'm going with that.

Seriously, Rosie, he's fine. I'm sure of it. I don't think you're even allowed to campaign without regular medical checkups. Have some chocolate.

Oh, Syd my Syd, yes, I've read Handmaid's Tale and I totally get where you are coming from. I also think you've given me fodder for another blog post.

For now, come here and let me give you a hug. I didn't mean to scare you.

You, too, JP. Come here, my little bright eyed Poodle. Shall I sing you a song?

"I...I wish I could swim...

January 05, 2008 6:32 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

See? See? What the Spouse said.

I understand, Cuz, I really do. The desire to guard one's heart is completely rational given what we've been through. But when even the conservative pundits are noting the seismic shift (and by conservative of course I mean the ones who actually think and stuff...not those idiots on FOX) it's worth at least putting some champagne to chill, don't you think?

I love the image of Kimberly Ann with her fingers in her ears singing to herself to drown out the noise of anything GOP.

January 05, 2008 6:36 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, sure, Buck. We've had quite enough of those Walker types.

Although I do think we should play down the Hussein thing. I mean, God bless Barak Obama for going into politics and not changing his name. If that doesn't say something about he faith in the American people, I don't know what does.

Twisi, I know what you mean. Not to mention that when I first heard him speak, that unknown at the Democratic convention in 2004, I got chills and said to myself, "Self, that dude is going to be President someday". Don't know if it's '08 but trust, he will be President.

Dmarks, oh, now, be nice. Not all lawyers are bad. I happen to know some who are very nice people. At least 5 or 6. 'K, 2 or 3...

And frankly, I kinda cracked up to see ol' Fred in the number 3 spot. Really? Who the heck knew? And have you seen his wife? Hot. Not as hot as Mrs. Kucinich but hot.

Which has nothing to do with anything, just felt like mentioning it. Thanks for coming by.

January 05, 2008 6:43 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I too am giddy and delighted about the whole Iowa thing, despite my favorite candidate coming in third. She still got more caucus-goers than Huckabee. Seriously. 19.8% of all caucus-goers caucused for Hillary Clinton, where only 11.4% caucused for Mike Huckabee. Even more caucused for Obama and Edwards (obviously), but the big news here is that the Dems are going to kick ass in 2008.

And while I totally get what you say about Hillary, I do worry about what might happen if all of us get talking that way and she gets the nomination. In 2004, I was a total Dean-iac. Wanting real change, thinking that this brash Washington outsider with the crazy optimism and bold statements was the perfect guy to make it happen. When staid and still John Kerry got the nomination, I was viscerally disappointed -- like, in a blue funk for WEEKS. I never really did get the energy behind him that I needed to, and he lost. Not that his victory was all about my inner feelings, but I think that happened to a lot of us. The fact is, we've got three AMAZING candidates in our top tier, and I just wish that we all would be thrilled to bits about all of it and ready to stand on our heads to get any one of them elected come November.

(stepping off soapbox and going to the movies now)

January 05, 2008 8:32 AM  
Blogger Sling opined...

It can't be ludicrous to hope Rainey...It just can't.
Funny thing is,the power actually belongs to the people.No amount of political sleight of hand can change that,if we simply decide to excercise it!

January 05, 2008 4:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, I'm not sure that having concerns about Hillary (or any of the candidates) gets in the way of supporting him or her enthusiastically once there is a nominee. I was a Deaniac, too. And then I was all about Edwards. Kerry wasn't even my 3rd choice and I wasn't as pumped about him as I wanted to be. Until I went to a rally and he got me going. From then on, I did what I could. And I cried when it didn't play out the way I hoped.

If Hillary is the candidate I'll be all over it because the most important thing is to win the White House. But if she doesn't do well in New Hampshire, this whole conversation could be moo.

Which reminds me, Sling...you and Iwanski need to step it up. Get your asses to Manchester.

January 05, 2008 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Ah, but Sling, that's the kicker--getting people to realize that being able to vote is both a right and a responsibility, and that even if there's no one you're seriously for, you should at least use the opportunity to vote against your least-favored alternative.

Unfortunately, this would require the school system to actually educate children to understand that kind of thing, and to be honest, I'm not sure the Powers That Be are all that in favor of a truly educated electorate.

Again, not that I have an opinion or anything. O_o

January 05, 2008 5:45 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, but Syd, that's why conversations like this are important and why we should all be blogging about it and talking to everyone we know and leading the way. Because it's still a government of, by and for the people, however far off the track we've gotten. It's OUR job to take back our own power. Screw the Powers that be.

Sure, we could collectively be doing a better job of educating our youth relative to their civic responsibilites. (Hi. I had to take civics in high school...do they teach that anymore?) But nothin' makes the power brokers happier than a bunch of liberals sitting around bemoaning how no one cares. We need to be leading the way, demonstrating that we care like hell.

And, for the record, the youth vote is getting pretty hot this cycle. That's where a lot of Obama's support is coming from. They are paying attention.

January 05, 2008 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

This is very true, Lorraine. At least if the conversation is taking place, people who "overhear" it may be inspired to do a little legwork and start talking to others about what they find...which certainly beats complaining without action.

January 05, 2008 6:04 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Syd,..from your lips to God's ear!..
I know that life exists in the blogosphere.
People think,and consider,and there is not one person on my blogroll that would hesitate for one instant to point an accusing finger at the Emperor and exclaim,"Dude!..you're naked!"..
Still,..I live in a world populated with happily oblivious individuals that are more focused on the features of their mp3 player,.."Hey!..It plays back in technicolor!",..than they are in paying attention to the legacy being left to to our children.
Children that will grow up thinking that this is the way it has always been.
..End of pontification.

January 05, 2008 8:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

(tapping little foot) You still didn't explain why you're not in New Hampshire, Sling.

January 05, 2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..I was busy hoarding your soapbox.

January 05, 2008 9:19 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Stop bogarting the soapbox, man.

January 05, 2008 11:04 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I have to admit that I'm glad that all moved on to New Hampshire and have already forgotten Iowa because I was getting MIGHTY tired of hearing about what a white state it is.

It is, demographically, but dammit. There go the journalists AGAIN, gently influencing opinion instead of reporting on it. Because it's NOT psychologically/intellectually. Wait. It's not as bad as you'd expect. That's what I mean to say.

Plenty of people of color wear plenty of polyester in pastels.

January 07, 2008 8:35 AM  
Blogger Jason opined...

just reading over some of your posts...catchin' up if ya will. Just wanted to pipe in and say the caucus here (Iowa) was amazing. Honestly before it all started I thought for sure Hillary would take the lead, because her signs were everywhere...but at the caucus the people who represented her, and tried to win you over, were a bit, well..bitchy. And negative. So at that moment I knew it wasn't going to work for her. "That dog don't hunt," here in Iowa. Thanks for having appreciation for a "fly over state." :)

January 08, 2008 4:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, gee, Booda, it IS an election year. Heaven help us, it's not like we can count on the media to just report on the facts, now can we?

Thanks for stopping by, Jason. It is very exciting to be a part of that process, eh? Too bad about the Clinton people, though. I mean, a candidate is hardly responsible for his/her supporters but I know that when I'm at my caucus I try to be very nice because I think how I act does end up reflecting on my candidate.

January 08, 2008 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home