Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Passage of Time

On the Feast of the Epiphany (the day the wise men found Baby Jesus), there is this very awesome morsel in the liturgy wherein a cantor gets up and "sings" the dates of the feasts and fasts for the coming liturgical year. (The Catholic church year starts the first Sunday of Advent. There are 4 weeks of Advent and then Christmastide so we obviously know what we are doing for those first months of the cycle. But heading into Ordinary Time we get this dandy little proclaimation to let us know what else is coming up. Like a coming attractions blurb, sung on three notes). Anyway, I love this little bit and sat eagerly, all poised and excited.

Then he sang that "Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten sea-son" (I can totally hear him singing that) was on February 6. HELLO? Consider. Epiphany is January 6. So this year, having just finished Christmas, we get one month of down time and it's 6 weeks of Lent? Wow.

With Ester being a movable feast it sometimes happens that Lent is early. In fact, Lent was early the year The Child was born. She was baptised at 10 days old because Lent was a'comin' and baptisms aren't typically celebrated in Lent and we didn't want to wait until Eastertide. (No, not because we thought she would die and go to hell. We don't believe that. It was because the Cathedral was going to close for renovations and we'd be worshipping in the gym across the street and we wanted her baptism to be in the same actual physical place where we were married). So anyway, there she was, the youngest baby to be baptised in Cathedral history but you know what? Her baptism anniversary is Feb. 6. Which means that as early as Lent was that year, this year it's even earlier!

The fundamental impact of this information was that I had to quick send out evites for Carnevale and start planning a menu before the Christmas leftovers were all gone.

In other "my how time flies" news:

1) The Child will be 14 in 11 days. (High School Musical theme for the party. Of course).

b) On the weekend I will be going to the Portland area for the service of a family friend who passed last week. He'll be getting his own post later but last night I was thinking about it and trying to wrap my mind around it. "Uncle" Gibby and his wife "Auntie" Nan are some of Dame Judi and Sean's oldest friends. We met when I was a sophomore in highschool. See? Long time. Now, I don't know if it's true or just the way my mind works but the last time I saw Gib and Nan, they seemed completely unchanged to me. Of course, that's sorta how I view Sean and Judi, too. Yeah, they are getting older. I'm getting older so they must be, right? And there's a bit more grey in their hair, perhaps. But really, unchanged. Still young and vital, as far as I can tell. (They will laugh at that characterisation but serioulsy, they are both now in their 70s and you wouldn't believe it to look at them or talk to them. See, youthful).

And I don't know if my similar assessments of Gib and Nan are just because they always "were" so I still see them that way or if they too were immune from that "getting ancient" thing but the point is, I was trying to think how old Uncle Gibby was and surely he was in his 70s, which sounds so much older than how I think of him.

Anytime, I've been thinking about his memorial service, which will be held (I believe) in the church we attended when I was in high school, a place I haven't revisited since I was in college. Not a ton of good memories, what with the whole PK thing, and I never really felt a burning desire to go back to the scene of so much angst and humiliation. (And yeah, it actually WAS that bad). But this is different. It's not about me. It's about honoring personal history and supporting a dearly loved family.

But I find myself wondering if I'll recognize anyone, besides Auntie Nan, of course. I think of my peers from that time and imagine who might be in attendance. We're all older. I don't think I've changed that much. Well, actually, I have. Frankly, I'm way more attractive now than I was then, which is a perversely comforting thought. But I am older. Will I be recognized? Will I know anyone else? Or will I have to stick close to Dame Judi, who has been in much more contact with that group of people, waiting for her whispered prompts so that I don't look like a complete idiot when someone comes up to greet us? Funny thing to think about, really, given how much a part of my life those people were once upon a time.

I really should get my hair done before the weekend.

Labels: , , , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Anne opined...

Can I bring a big pot of Red Beans and Rice?

Oh, that's Mardi Gras.

Never mind.

But if you need my address for the invite....

January 15, 2008 8:58 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Fourteen! Holy Cow! Seems like just yesterday. Here, sit, I'll get the pie.

January 15, 2008 9:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Carnevale is the same as Mardi Gras...it literally means "farewell, meat" and is, technically, the entire season between Christmastide and Lent. Whereas Mardi Gras is, as you know, litterally interpretted as "Fat Tuesday"...the last chance to get crazy before Lent.

Oddly, we don't do the sort of New Orleans/Rio like food you might expect for that party...but have big meat, lots of butter and cream and chocolate. Not all in the same dish mind you.

And yes, pie would be good. Don't bother with the plates, we'll just eat out of the dish with our forks, shall we?

January 15, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I spelled "literally" wrong. See? I need pie.

January 15, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Should I bring over some tea, too? I just ran the dishwasher so I have clean forks. Rhubarb ok, or do you want apple with a slice of chedder?

I knew Mardi Gras and Carnevale was the same celebration before Lent, I just didn't know about the Carnevale menu.

January 15, 2008 9:54 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Brrrr. I'd hate to have to go back to the Baptist church where I was raised. You are right. Not good memories.

The Canadians have it great: Only two Holy Days of Obligation. Christmas (Dec 25) and Mary (Jan 1)

Boom. You're done for the year.

January 15, 2008 10:44 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Very sorry to read about your loss. I hope the service goes well.

As for the unpredictability of Easter, if you're feeling brave, you might like to cast your eyes across the explanation provided in this Word document: http://www.catholicsoton.org.uk/news/rss/feedentry/bba89414-66f5-c9bb-516f-b10e2f500161

January 15, 2008 11:23 AM  
Blogger Mom opined...

The thing I like about Ordinary Time is that it is rarely ordinary. Life is full of the unexpected. Boom, and all of a sudden people who have been part of your life forever suddenly are gone. Nothing about loss feels ordinary. Then boom again and you look at your baby and she's 14 and will be soon grown. Savor each moment of joy life sends you.

January 15, 2008 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I can't follow mom's comment. It's too good and it will just make me look dumber. I'll come back later.

January 15, 2008 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You're right. Nothing more frightening that a building full of Baptists.

Right again, it's all about Gibby and his uncommon life in the common way of things.

You are far more beautiful now than then, not to say your weren't lovely then, but age has added a grace, a depth to an already fine soul. Not too worry.

We will stand against the foe and I shall delightedly whisper what is needful and it won't be the long "before we go in" speeches of your childhood either.

Please call if Anne brings rhubarb.

January 15, 2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I've got a pot of coffee on, Anne, and plenty of tea if it comes to that. Rhubarb is fine.

Only two Holy Days, Buck? Whatever do they do the rest of the time? Not even the Canadians can watch that much hockey, can they?

Thank you, Dariush. Twice.

Oh, Mom of Blogtopia, you are so wise.

JP, right?

I'm very glad you're going to be there to prompt me, DJ. And I promise to behave. Mostly because I really want to go to Barbie's after church and I know you won't let me if I'm not a good girl.

January 15, 2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Safe travels this weekend.

January 15, 2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

yikes! i totally understand the feeling- this year already feels like it's flying by. and we're not even into february yet.

at least we'll get and extra day to catch up then, right? or just take the day to let it all sink in.

life and death--they each deserve a moment to be pondered so we can appreciate how it all fits together.

anyway, my condolences to you and your friends. peace.

January 15, 2008 4:56 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

I didn't understand one damned thing about the Lent bit, but I understood a whole lot about the time flying like the fastest wind in the world. It's very weird and kind of exciting but mostly weird. It wouldn't be as weird as it is if people didn't keep having those alarm clock Children who keep getting older and older.

I hope your post on Uncle Gibby is all about what a great and big fat full of stuff life he had.

January 15, 2008 5:27 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

lorraine...Rainey...Don't fret about whether or not you'll recognize people.
Let them fret about recognizing you!
Oh,they will be all over themselves trying to get your attention.
.."Hi,you probably don't remember me but..."
It's like that.

January 15, 2008 6:41 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

14.....oh, my.

I wonder how my children see me....makes me think of that Bonnie Raitt song. My children in my mind's eye are teenagers....me? Damn old.

January 15, 2008 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm sorry for your loss, Lorraine--I hope the service is beautiful and that all the memories shared are good ones.

Now, you said:

"...but have big meat, lots of butter and cream and chocolate. Not all in the same dish mind you."

I dunno, sounds to me like the beginning of a decent mole (that's MO-lay, not the blind animal. I'm just too lazy to figure out how to add the correct accent mark. ;).

January 15, 2008 8:39 PM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Not sure which Canadians Buck is talking about - but in the Anglican Church I went to we had more Feast Days than the Romans. Hell we even had High Mass on the Feast of the Circumcision (January 1st to the rest of the world.)

With Dame Judi by you side you'll have nothig to fear.

January 15, 2008 8:43 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

I used to sing in the St James Cathedral choir when I was in college, though I'm not catholic. I remember the beautiful pagentry and ceremony most, well that and the incense that rises up to where the choir sits.
Early Happy Birthday wishes to The Child!

January 16, 2008 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home