Monday, January 14, 2008

Loose Ends and Minutiae

1) Remember the story of the "Concierge Who Saved Christmas?" Well, I neglected, in the hubbub of the holidays, to tell you that, even as I was in the midst of writing a huffy letter to the Sorrento, I got a very apologetic email from their Food and Beverage manager. I have no idea how he saw my link but it certainly is an example of the power of the blog, isn't it? Anyhoo, as I said, he was very sincerely sorry for the treatment we had received and hoped we would give them another chance.

(In truth, I doubt we'll go back, or if we do, it certainly won't be at Christmas. This owes to The Spouse holding grudges like a McCoy and Hatfield combined.

This is one aspect of my darling husband's makeup which I find unsavory. There is little moderation in it and one unfortunate experience is enough for him to sever long and abiding ties. I wish he would strive for more tolerance and forgiveness, as he himself is not fully perfected in all things.

Can you tell I was watching "Persuasion" on PBS last night?)

Point is, 'twas very nice of Mr. Food & Beverage to pour oil on troubled waters and I hereby lift the blog ban upon them. Go have a cocktail.

2) It was very fun to have all of you frolicking about my kitchen this weekend but it turns out that the culprit of the spilled coffee was, as Willym suggested, Notme.

No one copped to it, and all with the most sincere of faces. The Child I believe because, hello, she doesn't drink coffee. There would be no reason for her to remove the emergency packet of ground coffee from the freezer and then leave it on the counter, spilled or otherwise.

I am quite sure The Dog had nothing to do with it.

That really only leaves one person but as said person insists he did not, I have no option but to, well, I don't believe him - obviously- but there you go. Nothing to be done about it.

3) I would like to offer the sincerest of snaps to those of you who work full-time and keep your floors swept.

3a) Assuming my workload continues as it has so far this month and that some of the business cards which have gone out begin to bear fruit, as it were, I have decided that, at least for now, Monday and Friday will be treated as my "in the office" days. There are little bits of administrative work that go with running your own business (duh) but also, I really do need to try and get a handle on being an entrepreneur and still having a swept floor.

4) The final dotting of i's and crossing of t's on The Child's applications will be done today and then we sit and wait.

5) We have been on a campaign to reduce The Dog's increasing tubbiness. He is being taken for strenuous walks, having his kibble intake managed and generally being encouraged to be a littler dog. I did not think that this program had yet born much fruit but he just tore through the kitchen and bulleted his way through the cat door to bark at some offensive person. He hasn't been able to squeeze through that in some time.

I do not need to squeeze through the cat door, now or ever, but strenuous walking and management of my kibble intake is obviously an effective strategy toward mitigating tubbiness in general. Isn't that encouraging?

f) Child went with The Boy to a cat show yesterday, prompting her to call and beg that I come down and purchase one of the "very cute and sweet" kitties being offered for sale. I had no intention of paying $100 for a kitty. Now, in truth, this is a good deal as the kitties have been snipped and clipped and inoculated. Doing the same to a free kitty would likely cost as much if not more. But I am not ready for a new kitty. The Spouse confided that he didn't want a new kitty at all. We will get one, I'm sure. In the spring. But it will need to be a farm kitty, like Phoebe was, one born with a talent for mousing.

Which reminds me, that I must order Phoebe's rose.

7) I intended to insert links at all the appropriate places but every time I went to get a new one the old one disappeared. I'm done.

Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Doralong opined...

Floors and work- I feel the pain.. use a timer. No, really. Two hours to deal with business. Time yourself an hour break to deal with the domestic matters. And when the sucker goes off- just finish it up whether the job is "complete" or not and go on with other matters.. You're the only person the lack of "perfect" is going to annoy you know ;)

Speaking of which, I really have to go do my floors now.. the dog fur balls are turning into dog tumbleweeds.

January 14, 2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

PS- Now don't go fostering stereotypes on the Hatfields & McCoys Lorraine.. Come on- you knew I was gonna take a poke at that one.

January 14, 2008 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh my Dora, I never put two and two together. I descend from the McCoys. We will have to start fighting now. Totally kidding, but I thought a little Monday morning drama might be fun...

I thought that Willym would be right. He is ALWAYS right. Notme. Go figure. Is there a possibility that you have had a visit from the spirit world? That would make an interesting entry. Time for you to get a Roomba...

January 14, 2008 9:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, Doralong, the virtues of a timer are well known to me and you are absolutely right. And of course I thought of you with the fueding families reference. And laughed.

Now you and Tater behave.

January 14, 2008 9:22 AM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Don't look at me- I'm a lover, not a fighter.. Beside the name came with the ring honey, Tate and I will be fine. That is however pretty dang funny!

January 14, 2008 9:31 AM  
Blogger Willym opined...

Well thank you tater - would you kindly send an e-mail to Laurent to that effect. At the moment he is arguing that the toilet paper roll goes the totally wrong way in the holder. I have gravely explained the laws of toilet tissue gravity to him but....

And speaking of feuds did anybody see yesteday's Doonesbury cartoon? Funny but sadly true in Iraq, Ireland, Afgahnistan - hell North American.

January 14, 2008 9:48 AM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

How to you keep the splits off your loose ends? I've had to start using a new and v. expensive conditioner. But it works, so maybe I should stop complaining.

You know, I wanted to like the PBS Persuasion, but the movie was so much better. Why'd they do that? Why'd they spend money on a whole new production when there was a feature film already made. (Maybe they were in production at the same time.)

Sometimes it takes a lonnnngg time to get over being very sad about a kitty. Or a dog. But it's amazing how stretchy our love rubber bands are when new ones show up.

January 14, 2008 9:51 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Steve is a grudge bearer too...he is loud in his grudge, telling everyone within a 10 mile radius why he is carrying that grudge to his grave.

As for floors, dog diets and "i" and "t"..... I am thinking that some days the dirty floor looks a lot like the face of the Virgin Mary and should be left alone. Dogs dieting is a good thing for all involved and those two letters are very important except when the wait time is longer than a minute.

January 14, 2008 10:58 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

I think I need to sign up to your dog's campaign. The pounds just ain't shiftin'.

Ooooh, is that a mince pie...?

January 14, 2008 11:30 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Good to know, D. Wouldn't want any fuedin' and fussin' right before the reunion.

Yes, Tater, please send an email to Laurent. Keeping the peace and all that.

I'll tell you one thing, Booda. I don't use Dove products. (Talk about holding a grudge). I don't remember if I saw the movie version of "Persuasion". I liked last night's just fine, as a result. Cap'n Whatsishoney was yummy.

Lordy, Rosie...I know exactly what you mean! Not enough that there's a grudge but it must be broadcast! Oy.

Back away from the mince pie, Dariush. You're running out of brandy sauce anyway. Here's a handful of kibble and that's all you get for the day.

January 14, 2008 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm with The Spouse on this one. Too little, too late, Sorrento.

January 14, 2008 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh that thing that Booda said about the stretchy love rubber bands are? It's so true [see: SweetPea]
And that thing that my mommy said about the Virgin Mary floor? Also true. But the most of the most true is that boys are grudge holders. Period. (I will never forgive them for that)

January 14, 2008 2:01 PM  
Blogger evilganome opined...

I'd like to see how your husband stacks up in the grudge Olympics against my mother. She has still never forgiven her best friend for something that happened when they were 5. Mom is 82.

You mean you're suppose to clean floors?

I live alone, so the cat is always at fault. Hey, it's not like she's helping with the rent. She has to do something to earn her keep.

January 14, 2008 2:42 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Guess I like my men bitter, JP. Plus, it's not like they gave us a gift certificate for a free dinner or anything. Toad the wet sprocket.


Me either, Hat. Stupid grudge holders. We hate them.

Gnome, oh, I think your mom wins. The Spouse did once forgive me for something that...no, wait, he didn't...let's hook 'em up. Gives new meaning to the term "grudge match" eh? (I crack myself up).

January 14, 2008 2:45 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

I'm pretty sure people who work full time and keep their floors swept are an urban myth.

January 14, 2008 4:50 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..all I'm sayin' is,I'll never forgive Elizabeth Montgomery for throwin' over Dick York,for Dick Seargent..Hey!...Seargent York!..where was I?

January 14, 2008 7:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

True, Cowbell, I don't know as I've met anyone who has both...

Now, Sling, see, that is a reasonable grudge. If all the Spouse's grudges were like that it would be different...

January 14, 2008 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home