Friday, January 18, 2008

Road Trip!




I have been downloading dozens of groovy videos for use in this segment but today I'm falling back on an old standard.


After picking up some groceries and maybe getting my hair cut and for sure picking up some control top pantyhose, I'm hitting the road. Down to Dame Judi and Sean's for the night and then on to the service for Uncle Gib on Saturday.I'm kinda excited. Not the actual mourning thing so much but the whole road trip bit for sure.


First of all, for all that I didn't legalize it until 10 years ago, I really love to drive. Love to drive in a Bruce-Springsteen-Thunder-Road-I-got-a-59-Chevy-with-a-396, sort of way. (Even though what I actually have is a POS Ford Focus. But you get the point). Also, I haven't ever gone on a road trip, even a short one like this, by myself. Not ever. I'm loving the idea of a few hours alone in the car...listening to my own tunes, cranked as loud as I want...stopping if I want or not....


It's amusing to be this excited about some "alone" time, when the bulk of my day is spent alone. But that alone is different, as it is hemmed with expectations and things which must be done for the family or the business. Even my sacred early morning prayer/poetry/coffee/blogging hour is spent with one eye on the clock, as The Child must eventually be roused.


But these travel hours today and tomorrow...they are just some little pockets of time with no firm expectations. I will, at some point, leave here and arrive there. It feels nice.


Meanwhile, The Spouse and The Child have made a date for Saturday afternoon. I love that.


Right. So I will be out of pocket this weekend. Call me on my cell. Not that I'll hear you. Because I'll be playing road trip music, really loud.





Blondie "Hanging on the Telephone"


Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger booda baby opined...

!! Road trip tunes are THE BEST. Unfortunately, there's a direct correlation between the music and the number of speeding tickets I've either gotten or been threatened with. I wondered how I'd do if I listened to ... talk radio.

Not the same.

January 18, 2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Well, there is that, Booda. And I tend to have something of a lead foot anyway. But NPR just won't cut it for the long haul. You rolls your dice, you takes your chances.

January 18, 2008 9:01 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

Have a safe trip, Godspeed.

January 18, 2008 9:53 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Toodles, have fun speeding down I-5! Funny, I had "Call Lorraine" on my to-do list for today. Now I know that you won't hear the phone ring with all that road trip music. But perhaps I can catch you when you stop for corn chips and Slurpees at the 7-11 in Des Moines... :)

January 18, 2008 9:55 AM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Safe travels with Sean and Dame Judi.

January 18, 2008 10:17 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

One of my fondest memories is playing Queen's "A Day at the Races" album when I left home and drove to college. Freddie Mercury and I were belting out "Somebody to Love" for three hours.

Have fun. Say hi to George Clooney for me.

January 18, 2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thank you, Anne.

Call me tonight, SCG.

I'll give them a kiss for you, Suz.

Sadly, Buck, I do not believe George will be in attendance. "Somebody to Love"...awesome song. Have you seen the version they do in "Ella Enchanted"? Not Queen, but pretty cool.

January 18, 2008 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm with Buck on having some fond road trip memories. In college I went back and forth between Lincoln and Chicago multiple times, and then later in life I drove all the way to Florida, and then back again 2 years later. Back then I had to make myself mix-tapes. And I also remember hating it at the time and just wanting to get to my destination, but now I think about how freeing it must have felt, especially when there was no schedule involved. Enjoy!!!

January 18, 2008 10:58 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Oh, have a ton of fun in the car. A somber trip for sure, but I bet Uncle Gib will be singing right along with you. One of the best times I ever had was driving to northern California by myself to a CE on Psych Evals. I stayed in a nice hotel, ate all of my meal in a restuarant and watched a movie on the pay TV.

January 18, 2008 12:12 PM  
Blogger danny/ink2metal opined...

hey lorraine,

enjoy and drive safely! my last road trip was actually up to seattle from lake tahoe. very spur of the moment.

it took more or less sixteen hours of straight driving. now you know, just in case you decide to keep on driving and escape the responsibilities for a few extra days. LOL

January 18, 2008 12:41 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

have a safe trip!

January 18, 2008 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That is my favorite Blondie song evuh! WOOHOO! God she has great teeth. Okay, you are going to have so much fun getting there. But I bet the drive home will be cathardic and filled with introspection.
Cuz I know you n' stuff.
Have a safe trip (:

January 18, 2008 2:09 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

1) Check the oil
2) Check the water
3) Do you have a good spare tire?
4) ..and a jack??
5) Wear your seatbelt!
6) Pull completely off the freeway,and park in a well lit spot if you decide to answer your cell phone.
This is making me a nervous wreck!

January 18, 2008 4:44 PM  
Blogger Jason opined...

If ya get tired...pull over.

If ya get hungry...eat something.

- "Best in Show"

Have a nice trip.

January 18, 2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Poodle. When the B52s get around to "Love Shack" I'll be thinking of you.

I bet he will, Rosie. He loved music.

'K, Danny...I should be there by breakfast time. I like mimosas.

Thanks, Twisi.

Me, too, Hat. And yeah, you know me.

Sling, I even had my tires filled by my car fixing guy. But not to worry. Rainey has a cell phone and AAA.

January 18, 2008 5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I wasn't nervous until Sling said he was nervous. If Sling is nervous, we all should be nervous. And now I can't sleep. Dammit.

Are you there yet?

January 18, 2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

There is nothing like a lone road trip to clear one's head and get your renewal on.

January 19, 2008 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home