Monday, January 21, 2008

Deep Thoughts Will Wait

I have one or two of them, but today is Martin Luther King day, which means that everyone in my house is here, celebrating the right to stay home one day in January even though they are white.

(I think it is awesome that there is a holiday honoring Dr. King but if we want it to be more than just a bank holiday then we have to connect it to some holiday things. Like food. What was Martin Luther King's favorite thing to eat, I wonder? What was his favorite dessert? I'm dead serious about this. I'm going to see if I can find out because I think MLK day should be celebrated with his favorite foods, a reading of "I have a dream" and perhaps an enlightened and vivacious discussion of what it means to us. That's how I like to keep holidays, dang it...eating and reflecting. The Spouse, on the other hand, is waiting for his MLK Day present. Oops).

Here are a few pictures from the leg of my road trip that involved my family. At first I was going to follow Sean and Judi down in my car, for the better making of my escape should such be necessary. But Sean swore a solemn vow that we wouldn't be staying forever so I consented to go along. My baby sister Audrey Hepburn came with us and that was enjoyable because she is very funny. (Martha Stewart was driving up from the other direction with her husband and George Clooney couldn't make it. In case you were wondering).

Talk about your flashbacks...riding in the back seat on a longish trip with the folks in the front. I felt about 10 again. So did Audrey because we amused ourselves with some faux-fighting:

"Mu-oooom, she's on my side!"

"Daddy, she pinched me!"

"Tell her to stop making faces at me".

And when we were bored with that we'd ask, "Are we there yet?"

We stopped for coffee and doughnuts (Sean Connery wanted to hit the road at 7:30am. The service was at 11am. It takes maybe 2 hours to get from their place to the site of the service. You do the math. But Sean, oh, Sean, he wanted to allow plenty of time for traffic (smart, I suppose) and be sure to find a place to park at the church (turns out that was really smart because apparently the entire narthex of the church was SRO). Still. So we killed time at the Safeway in Somewhere-Along-the-Way, Washington. I found an abandoned toy on the "Discontinued" rack. It was a little Christmas moose. It made me sad in the "Island of Misfit Toys" sort of way. I couldn't bear the thought of a poor little moose sitting on a rack and gathering dust until someone just threw him away. He was only $2.50 so I bought him.

I named him Gilbert the Christmas Moose, in honor of Uncle Gib.

Audrey figured out that he was a dog toy. That explained why he lay flat in a very unmooselike way.

We had some very nice conversations on the way down, important conversations about growing up and about things that are going on now. I really like my sister.I had to make sure I didn't get blood clots in my legs. It was a lot more cramped riding in the back seat as an adult. Geez, when we were kids Sean and Judi would just lower the seat of the station wagon and the four of us would roll around unfettered the whole trip to wherever. Stupid life-saving seatbelts.Oh, I got my hair done before I left Seattle. It is officially the best hair cut I have ever had in my life. I guess you can't tell from this how superfantastic it is but trust me. It's awesome.

This is the wall above the bed in the guest room at Sean and Judi's. Isn't it appropriate?

And this is their cat, Lucy Maud Montgomery, who they call "Puppy". (Senile, I tell you...the old folks are turning senile). She is a very pft-ty cat, who only likes Sean and Judi and merely tolerates a very few other people. But she actually liked me well enough. She enjoyed pushing her head against mine and also allowed me to pet her behind the ears.

Labels: , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin opined...

I love those family photos!
Caitlin

January 21, 2008 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

That do is hot. You are so stylish. And humble.
Is Gilbert the Christmas Moose staying with you or with your sis? Because you do know that if he is staying with you he will be violated by The Dog. It's just what the dog does. He's just a little dog. A little, horny dog. This has nothing to do with anything. Hi!

January 21, 2008 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You weren't lying about that hair. Holy crap.

I know there were other things in this post that deserve commenting upon, but it's going to take me awhile to get past the hair.

Is it hot in here?

January 21, 2008 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh, and I almost forgot: Nice gams, too.

January 21, 2008 11:31 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Dammit! I hopped right on here to say something about the gams. Damn that JP!

The hair is nice too.

January 21, 2008 12:07 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

That's one of the best road trips I've ever taken without moving my ass. Your hair cut is jaw dropping. It's so perfect for you!! Gorgeous, gorgeous. Did it cost one fortune? Or two?

January 21, 2008 1:05 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

They're a nice family, aren't they Caitlin?

It is so way hot, Hat. And Gilbert the Christmas moose is here and has been bestowed upon The Dog. He likes to cuddle it but he apparently doesn't hump things that are smaller than him. Which is actually quite dignified, if you ask me.

JP, toldja. And thanks.

I know the hair isn't as big as you like it, Buck, but I'm glad you approve anyway.

Booda, the story behind the do is awesome. It was free. Why, you ask? Because the chicklet who did if for me has retained me as her personal organizer. We're trading...my skillz for hers. The only down side is that I'm helping her with goal setting and planning so she can move to Paris. Once she does that I'll have to start paying for my awesome hair again. Unless she can hook me up with another stylist who wants to trade as well. I love my life.

January 21, 2008 2:27 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I love the color of your hair...and the cut too. Very uncomfortable looking blood clot prevention position. And the big deal about calling the cat puppy is????? Why, my Mimi Louise is called Moo but that doesn't mean I think she is as big as a cow. There are reasons....and I also noticed your mom has stenciled on her wall...I would like your mom...can I be Helen Miren?

January 21, 2008 2:30 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

everyone seems to have paid appropriate compliments...what's left...um... i will comment on the stuffed toy and his cute little red sweater :) haha

January 21, 2008 2:46 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

I appreciate what you're saying about the toy moose. You did the absolute right thing.

And, as today's representative hetero man, I'd like to genuinely thank you for the gratuitous photo of your legs. Score!

Oh yeah, also, nice haircut or whatever.

January 21, 2008 3:46 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, first of all, yes, you can be Helen Mirren. Also, I could see how Mimi Louise could transmorgify into Moo but to blatantly call a cat "Puppy" is just crazy.

You would like my mother, I'm sure. And her house really is just the most charming thing ever, with all sorts of stencilling and other country chic touches that make for a very cozy place.

Monica, I'm glad someone noticed that fetching red sweater on the moose. It is awesome.

Iwanski, thank you for understanding about the moose. My sister laughed at me. And also, thank you for lending some much needed diversity to today's blog comments.

January 21, 2008 4:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Boskey opined...

Legs are very nice, to the point of distraction

January 21, 2008 4:04 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

You kids better play well together!!
Audrey,stay on your own side..
lorraine,more gams please.

January 21, 2008 4:26 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Puppy has a very pretty tail. I once had a female cat named Fido. Also, pat on the back for doing a road trip with the folks where sis and you are confined to the back seat with stuffed animals. That's quite brave.

January 21, 2008 6:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Blogtopia, please make a note: Jason B is a leg man.

We already knew that Sling was. A leg man, that is.

Lucy Maud is a very attractive and puffy cat, Cowbell. She made me wish for another kitty. I still refuse to call her Puppy.

And really, not so brave. It's a funny thing but I actually really enjoy my family quite a lot.

January 21, 2008 7:20 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Ok, I know you were going to a funeral and all, but WOW, nice legs!

January 22, 2008 7:31 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

Your hair is da bomb, truly. It sounds like a wonderful roadtrip, even though the circumstances weren't. Your fam would be fun to hang with, I have a feeling.

January 22, 2008 8:29 AM  
Blogger Anne opined...

That looks like the inside of my van, but cleaner.

You know, Lorraine, I've tried for so long and I just can't put it all together. I need a family tree so I can keep all these people you write about straight.

January 22, 2008 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home