Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Things I Do Every Day

Unload the dishwasher.

Load the dishwasher.

Laundry.

Wipe down the bathroom.

Make the bed.

Something related to money: buying, writing a check, paying a bill, checking the balance online, setting up a payment, entering an ATM slip in Quicken, etc. etc. etc.

Wipe up something sticky.

Cook something.

Think about things to be done for school or church or home.

Pick up and put away something that doesn't belong to me.

Recycle.

Feed the animals.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was transferring a load of laundry to the dryer. There's a lot of stuff to do every day that isn't particularly gratifying but I have to do it. Not only are these things not always particularly gratifying but they never end. Thankless tasks, one would say. Why, when there are so many more interesting things to do in the world, is a portion of my everyday life spent on that which is routine, boring, thankless, neverending?

The short answer is because I don't like squalor, can't think in squalor and I'd have to do this stuff even if I lived alone so whatever.

But there's more to it than that. Once upon a time I had a friend who went to jail for something she didn't do. (Don't get me started on the problems with the "justice" system in this country. That's a whole other blog). This was an ordinary woman. A woman like me. A woman with a husband and a home, who gardened and cooked and decorated and watched "Martha Stewart" on television. And then she went to jail. For over a year.

But I learned something from her experience. Because while she was incarcerated, the things she missed were the ordinary things. She missed cooking. She missed unloading the dishwasher. Because all of a sudden, those things mattered. She missed them because she used to do them all the time and suddenly she couldn't. Being able to do them meant her life was her own, she was in control. It meant she was free to do them. When that freedom went away, she missed them; even yearned for them. In her phone calls and letters she'd ask me to tell her about my day. She'd ask what I was cooking. Because she missed that stuff.

Ever since that time, I've been able to stop myself from whining much about my "to dos" because I understand the intrinsic value of the ordinary. It's mine. I get to do it. No one tells me when to get up, what I can do all day, when I have to go to bed. Add to that the fact that while I'm free to get up, do and go to bed as I please, I'm not doing it with bombs dropping on my street or with militias roaming the 'hood or my child starving to death. I'm not dying of AIDS or washing my clothes in a river or carrying the days supply of water from a dicey well along a dirt road.

Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by my daily list. Sometimes it feels kinda boring or pointless. But I'm thankful every day that I get to be bored. Those routines might seem pointless but they are my precious routines and no one is taking them away from me (knock wood). And when I think like that, even sweeping up the persistent detritus of life with two other people and their pets is a blessing.

Here are some other things I do every day:

Pray.
Shower.
Drink coffee.
Read blogs.
Pray some more.
Talk to someone who loves me.
Admire my lavender.

Life is good.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You have inspired me to go home and do all the things that I haven't been doing since I got home from Seattle.

Tomorrow.

October 02, 2007 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

What is that movie? Where the old man is talking about what he misses most about his wife after she dies? Something about the lint balls she always picked off his sweater? It's like that.
Little things.
Little, trivial, insignificant things that add up to life.

October 02, 2007 2:25 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Me=wind beneath your wings.

That's what I'm talking about right there, Hat.

October 02, 2007 4:06 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

This warms the cockles of my heart.

Yes, I have cockles.

October 02, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Taking inventory,counting your blessings,whatever you chose to call it,it is one of the best mental health exercises I know.
Your wrongly incarcerated friend came away from the experience with a positive revelation she may not otherwise have had,and shared it with you..and so on...and so on.
Life is indeed good!

October 02, 2007 4:32 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I'm sorry to hear that, Iwanski. More fiber maybe?

Man, Sling, I'm relieved. Thought you were going to nail me for copyright infringement. Thank heaven you're one of the good guys.

October 02, 2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger Renee opined...

I needed this reminder after a particularly challenging day of dealing with the mundane, but necessary and neverending tasks. Thanks.

October 02, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome, Renee. Why do you think I posted it? Now I have a place to go when I need to remember myself!

October 02, 2007 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

hee hee hee
'wanski said cockles

October 02, 2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger booda baby opined...

Ya!! Life is SO good. It's weird. Those little never ending tasks are my guaranteed way to contentment. Contentedness. One of those. They're the material of intimacy, aren't they? Or at least for me.

And it does help that they make everything feel so clean and beautiful and stuff like that.

October 04, 2007 8:36 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

I just wish I had a dishwasher. And a garbage disposal. Or that I could do it all telekinetically from work. -sigh-

October 04, 2007 2:07 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

thanks... i needed that.

October 05, 2007 6:15 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann opined...

What a great reminder of what is important. So easy to forget this when I'm scooping cat litter or picking up my son's smelly socks. Thanks!

October 05, 2007 10:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, tee.

Clean and beautiful are good, Booda B.

I wish you had a dishwasher, too, Cowbell. When I'm Queen of the World I'll make sure you get a really nice one. And someone who'll load it for you.

You're welcome, Mouse. We all need a little reminder once in a while.

Kimberly Anne: A)welcome and 2) you're welcome.

October 05, 2007 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home