Monday, September 24, 2007

An Embarrassment of Riches

I'm just going to have to do this in bits. So let's start with the presents, shall we?

They had been trickling in throughout the week as it was, even earlier actually. The Hat had given me the first printing of my business cards as an early birthday present.

Then came a Venetian glass pen and an antique ink well from ChouChou and John, because she knew that I coveted The Child's. Mine is red and black. It's beautiful.
















This was followed by a concertina from Rosie. You see, she plays the accordion and was going to come to my fete and play "La vie en rose" for me. But then she couldn't come. So she did, I suppose, the next best thing and sent me a Hohner concertina, complete with a book for "absolute beginners", which is a dem fine thing because I know absolutely nothing about squeeze boxes. But it is a gorgeous instrument with a lovely tone and when I opened it The Child squealed with delight, "Oh, mama! Now you can be a street musician!"




I do think that mastering, or at least making a running attempt at a new skill in my new decade is a fine goal.







JP blew me away with a vinyl copy of Tracy Ullman's "You Broke My Heart in 17 Places" and a DVD of "Rattle and Hum". Which considering his meh-ness over U2 in the '80's was quite something. He also gave me a CD of "High School Musical II" but that was just to mess with The Child. Who wasn't fooled.

When The Neighbor and I were planning my party we originally thought of doing something very progressive, like having people write a toast or give money to charity or something non-material like that. Then it didn't happen. Which meant people brought presents. And you know what? I don't need a thing but presents are superfantastic. I'd forgotten. Although, I felt a little silly sitting there, surrounded by my friends, opening gift after gift. Really, I did. And such nice gifts too: spa treatments and lotions and soaps and such (Kina, Payson, Jim & Kelly). Jewelry (tiara earrings from The Neighbor and a charm bracelet from Stina and Dave) and pretty boxes to keep jewelry in (Julie and Leroy). Pretty things for the sake of pretty (Bertie & Roger and Lorene & James).

Cheryl and Pat did a clever thing. They gave me a bottle of Carlo Rossi jug wine with a wrapper that said "Lorraine in her 20s" and a fine bottle of white Rhone in a wrapper that said "Lorraine in her 50s", plus a gorgeous glass decanter. And the Cardinal and Mikey gave me land in Scotland. Seriously. I get to register a number and I will be the Lady of Kincavel...owning 1 square foot of Scottish soil which I cannot build on but which may be passed down to subsequent generations. I really hope there is a thistle growing on it.

There were gift cards (Kenny & Tiff) and paintings (Ree & Jerry) and little treats. The Child spent her own money to buy me very pretty kitchen towels. We were all done and I was thanking everyone as sweetly as I could for their kind and thoughtful gifts when The Spouse said, "There's one more" and handed me a small brown box.

In the small brown box was a pretty little china box, painted with roses. I cooed over it


"Oh, honey"...
He said, "Open it".
So I did....
And then I cried a little bit...
because he'd given me a beautiful sapphire pendant set with diamonds. And this picture doesn't do it a lick of justice but it is lovely as can be. That Spouse of mine, I'm telling you...when he decides to go for the grand gesture you are best served standing out of his way.
I also want to thank all of you for your kind e-wishes....it was like you were there partying with us.
I'm blessed. Shallow, but blessed.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Citymouse opined...

wow... how wonderful.. what beautiful gifts for a beautiful woman.

September 24, 2007 7:40 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I really hope your special birthday was everything you imagined. Gifts are wonderful at certain times.....they are a way to tell you how much you are loved, needed, wanted and usually the gift itself is a reflection of you. You are lyrical, musical and so very appreciated Lorraine.

September 24, 2007 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

oh I'm all emotional now!
You deserve every one of those lovely things my friend.
And how clever are your friends with their gift ideas? hmpf.
Must think sum'thin of ya.

September 24, 2007 8:00 PM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Wow, it sounds like it was a wonderful evening. Happy birthday again.

By the way, if you give me the precise grid reference of your sprawling Scottish estate, I could check for thistles the next time I'm in the Highlands...

September 25, 2007 1:33 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I knew the spouse was going to make me cry with his gift.... and damned if he didn't!

I hope you had a wonderful bday and wish you many, many more!

September 25, 2007 6:20 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Kind of you, Mouse. I guess a girl doesn't turn 50 every day, right?

It was, Rosie, it was. And thank you for your kind words and, of course, the concertina!

Aw, thanks, Hat. ANd yes, clever, clever friends. I like 'em.

Oh, indeed, I will Dariush. And you can take a picture of it for me and we can hang it above our fireplace and refer grandly to "the estate". That will be super!

September 25, 2007 6:23 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You and me, both, Twisi. And thanks for the good wishes!

September 25, 2007 10:25 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Sounds like a grand -- albiet sniffly -- time was had by all. You know, of course, we are expecting video of your mad accordion skillz soon...

September 25, 2007 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home