Monday, October 08, 2007

Manic Monday

Just finished up what was more or less a cat weekend. The Spouse was pretty focused on editing the movie and he spent all day yesterday out making a movie with friends. But The Child and I didn't do much. Until yesterday. Yesterday we went to church, which was especially nice because it's October, which means a Marian hymn after mass which in this case was Biebl and I love me some Biebl. Then I did my monthly stint in the church bookstore, which was nice because I really like the woman I work with plus it wasn't too busy and a man came in looking for music from our choir and they just happen to have a CD and I mentioned that the Biebl was on it and it made him happy because he had really enjoyed that piece.

This isn't our choir singing the hymn but it's a pretty good version. Gives me chills. In a good way.



What didn't give me good chills was the frakking 8th grade fundraising trip meeting that I had to attend afterwards. It was all I could do to not chew off my own arm. 2 hours that I am NEVER getting back. 2 hours going over the same old ground, making very little headway toward anything new and generally just making me feel stressed out. I want to fall into a bucket of money, preferably today, so that I can just pay for The Child's trip and everyone else's and then I never have to sit through a meeting with those very well-intentioned and sweet people again. Really, they are all seriously nice but HMOG. We spent 1 hour talking about the flyers for a frakking rummage sale. ONE HOUR.

Have I mentioned that I hate meetings? Yes, I give thanks every day that mine is not a life that involves large quantities of meetings. (The PTA board stuff doesn't really count because we actually get things done, they are held in the a.m., which is just a really civilized time for a meeting, and part of the reason we are really productive in the meetings is because we use email with mind-bending efficiency).

The good news is that there is very little on my calendar this week...first time since school started...and I think this is the week that will be "normal", that will allow me to finally finish up all the projects that have been weighing on me. And that's my goal because pretty much after this weekend everything starts ramping up again and looks to be rather insane up through, well, the new year.

Things that make me feel like I'm not completely out of control:

Bills were paid this weekend. On time.

I ordered a birthday present for a friend. For a birthday that is in November.

I pulled weeds in my front garden. Only for about 15 minutes but it made a difference.

And in the category of "Things That are Really Super Exciting", Buck is joining us for Thanksgiving. He was supposed to come for my birthday and his boss made him go to Disneyworld instead. Then he was going to come for The Spouse's birthday but he has to go to some other stupid place so I invited him for Thanksgiving. Well, actually, he invited himself but I readily agreed. This is the first year that we aren't doing Thanksgiving with my family and it will be nice to have the other sort of family around the table. Like Buck. And The Neighbor. The Spouse and I already planned the menu. The Child is making the pumpkin pie. See? Organized.

I fell asleep during "Brothers and Sisters" last night so I have to go online and see if I can find what I missed. And I need to thaw some chicken breasts. And get rolling on my list of projects.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I very much enjoyed that hymn and the image of your eyes glazing at a two hour meeting.
Cuz I knows how your eyes likes ta glaze...

October 08, 2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's a purty one, no? And I think there is still some residual glaze on the eyes. It was that bad.

October 08, 2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

thanks for the hymn it was beautiful.... so was B&S, I am sorry you missed it!

October 08, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

oooh, purty hymn.
your list of accomplishments just reminded me of my failings :) Ugh... bills, rent, groceries... The only thing I've done is buy clothes.

October 08, 2007 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I hope that The Child calls him "Uncle JP" the entire time he's there.

October 08, 2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Me, too, Twisi. Hope it's online.

Don't feel bad, Monica. Buying clothes is good. And trust me, my list of failings at the moment is much longer than the list of accomplishments. Much!

I'll make sure she does, JP.

October 08, 2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Beautiful hymn....I should go to church.

I was never one for meetings either. The trustee thing is right to the point so that is good, but they want me to do conventions and group things and I don't like that.

Thanksgiving...don't even want to think about another holiday without the kids...all of them including Hat.

October 08, 2007 11:58 AM  
Blogger Blogger opined...

Here's wishing you a whole week of unspectacular normality. Enjoy it while it lasts!

October 08, 2007 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Now I'm sad too.

October 08, 2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You should come to church with me sometime, Rosie. I think you'd love it.

And don't be sad because you're making the rest of us sad. The Hat's been here blubbering for an hour now and she's eaten all my pie!

Thanks, Dariush. That is EXACTLY what I need.

October 08, 2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Depending on when you fell asleep last night during Brothers & Sisters, you didn't miss too much. And sometimes, reading the recaps at "Television Without Pity" (link to it from my bloggity blog) is more fun that watching, anyway.

Altho' were you as mad as I was about those deliberately misleading promos? That $#!% wasn't even SUBTLE. Grrrr.

October 08, 2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I pretty much fell asleep after the gang arrived at the hospital for the first time so yeah, I think I missed some stuff. And yes, I feel like such a tool for believing that the promos had anything to do with the story line. I should so know better by now.

October 08, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I'm so excited.
I told Portia about it and she wagged her tail with glee. (She thinks she's coming along too)

October 08, 2007 2:03 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You tell Portia that she is welcome to come along if her daddies will permit it. I have plenty of baby carrots and The Dog would love to have a friend celebrate with him.

October 08, 2007 2:05 PM  
Blogger Suzanne opined...

Lovely hymn, thanks for sharing. We will be staying put for Thanksgiving too...although your plans sound like a nice option, and Roscoe has been asking about his cousin, ;).

October 08, 2007 4:40 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Thank you for putting that hymm in my head!..That's what peace sounds like...
The last Friday of every month we get a 1 hour lunch break on the clock to have safety meetings,which is all well and good but I can't smoke!!..ARRGGHHH!

October 08, 2007 5:13 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Great music! Makes me miss choir singing -- haven't done it since returning stateside. Sang in a Hungarian choir with the eldest, which was really a laugh. I was fine with the Latin, but I'm pretty sure they were hoping I'd just mouth the words with the Hungarian.

I hate meetings too. Unfortunately, i've been having tons of them. At least I get paid (nominally) for the ones at work.

I thought I had all my bills paid, then hte water bill came, trying to be all independent.

October 08, 2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Roscoe really needs to come for a visit, Suz.

You're welcome, Sling. That's what I think, too. (About peace sounding like that...not the monthly non-smoking safety meeting).

I do love the Latin, Cowbell. We sing more of it in Advent and Lent and I'm getting 'cited for that. Almost makes me feel like I'm bilingual.

And I hate sneaky bills.

October 08, 2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

I loved the hymn. I just closed my eyes and let it wash over me.
Thank you.

October 08, 2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You're welcome Mom-Who-is-Not-My-Mom-but-is-Everyone's-Blog-Mom. That's your new name by the way. We're going to call you MWINMMBIEBM for short.

October 08, 2007 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

This your niece, Jane Austen. And she is royally peeved to read that you are, what was it again, NOT COMING TO FRAKKING THANKSGIVING!!! What the bloody hell?

October 10, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Dearest, darlingest Jane, I'm so sorry you are peeved. But with Uncle Spouse having to work on Friday, it's just too much to drive 3 hours in holiday traffic on Wednesday (for a 1.5 hour trip) and then have to turn around and leave right after dinner on Thursday. I offered to have it here but no one wanted to come "that far". So le sigh and le pft but it is what it is. You are welcome to crash our party. We are the fun ones, you know.

October 10, 2007 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home