Monday, August 06, 2007

Breakfast of Champions

I have been trying all morning to think how to start this post. I know you are all dying to hear all the details from the superfantastic weekend with The Hat but I don't know where to begin.

"Start," said The Child, "with how I wanted money to go to the co-op to buy a chicken pot pie for lunch".

Well, that would be a beginning. But not what I was going for.

"But it's a good place to start because, remember? I just came home when she pulled up in Big Red and was honking and you were picking lavender for the ice cream (and really, mom, it's too strong) and how we waited for her to get out so we could hug her".

Well, that's a little better. Let's start with the hugs.

Miss Hat fiddled with things in her car as we waited. And waited. And I finally said, "Get over here!" and she got out and we hugged. A big, long, tight, hello-my-long-lost-friend hug. And then we both got all teary eyed. Because, if you haven't experienced it, there is nothing quite like finally holding in your arms someone with whom you have come to feel a kindred bond. Knowing them to be real and actually clasping them to your kvelling bosom are two very different things.

(The huggies photo, btw, Hat, are on your camera. Just saying).

After that, it was no big deal. Ha. Of course it was. But really, it wasn't. Miss Hat sat at my desk and watched me make applesauce cake and honey-lavender ice cream and we talked, the way I talk with friends who sit in the kitchen and talk to me while I cook. She met the family and The Dog and even The Cat deigned to show herself (something she typically does not do when other people are in the house).

We went over to The Neighbor's. There were more hugs. And I teared up again, watching my new old friend hug my best friend. Then we sat on the Deck of Delight and drank vermouth. (Well, I drank vermouth. They had Italian iced tea, which is red vermouth, lemon and ginger ale. Only The Neighbor uses diet ginger ale and I don't like diet anything. But The Hat loved it. I believe the words "my new favorite drink" were uttered).



We talked. And laughed. And The Hat was very giggly about "actual clinkies". We've raised dozens of virtual coffee cups and glasses to each other over the last nearly 2 years. This time we got to do it for real. It was pretty awesome.



See how delighted she is? Darling girl.

We spent so much time talking and laughing at The Neighbor's that The Child was forced to come over and beg for dinner:



"No job. Will do dishes for food".

So I made dinner and we ate dinner. We told stories and asked questions and laughed. Quite a lot of laughing, must say. And then The Hat and I sat in the back garden by lantern light, working on a bottle of wine and talking some more. Until about 2 a.m. or something, not that we were keeping track.

In the morning she joined me for applesauce cake and coffee, the breakfast of champions, before we had to go off to church and she had to try and beat Seafair traffic out of town.



Here's the thing. Being with The Hat was completely unfraught. I hadn't worried a bit that we wouldn't have anything to say to each other or that the reality would be a disappointment compared to our virtual illusions. We knew each other. The things we've revealed in our blogs and comments and emails and phone conversations created a context. That context allowed us to tell stories and ask questions and comment on things in a most delightful way. We both knew we would like each other, because we already did. Meeting wasn't about getting to know each other. But it was, for me anyway, an opportunity to make The Hat a part of my life, not just my blogging. (Although, you know, blogging is my life). She's a part of family memory now, someone we can all picture, someone who made our home that much nicer with her laughter and spirit.

There's so much more to tell but frankly, I'm still absorbing it all. It was that rich a time. A blessed time. I'm kinda basking in it, to be honest with you. But here's one little thing that sorta sums it all up for me.

We sat down to dinner and everyone was still talking. Then The Hat, sitting at the head of the table, held her hands out to The Spouse and The Child, initiating the gesture that we make every meal, holding hands for prayer. She doesn't share our faith but she was one with us, instinctively entering into a family ritual with ease and grace, being family. And The Spouse gave thanks for our food and for our family. Our family, that includes my sister-friend, The Hat.

Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

I'm getting all teary-eyed over the last paragraph. That is just so cool! And also because I'm envious and would have loved to have been there too. And Hat is so adorable! She LOOKS huggable! What a great smile!

The Child is brilliant. Truly.

August 06, 2007 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm crying again. I'm so glad I left the details up to you to share with everyone. I wouldn't have done it justice. lol, am I really that frakking adorable? Golly! I could hug m'self sometimes. heh heh

August 06, 2007 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm disappointed. She's not even wearing a hat.

August 06, 2007 2:26 PM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

Man, I'm verklempt. That was a gorgeous post! And you didn't know how you were going to start...but how easy was it to finish once you just got going?

Mz. Hat, you are a lovely soul from the pictures. So glad you got to meet our 'Raine. She's a keeper.

I will look forward to meeting you one day...next time you're in Seattle, I'm going to impose on LT and invite myself over so I can meet you, too!

Clinkies to good friends, ladies...thank you for sharing your wonderful evening with us here!

August 06, 2007 2:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina: She gives the best hugs. She could do it for money.

That didn't sound right.

Hat: Yes, you really are that frakking adorable. One wants to just pinch your wittle wittle cheeks!

Don't worry, JP. There will be a hat on the Hat at my birthday.

SCG: This was one of the hardest posts I've ever written 'cause it's hard to find words to describe a buzzy little glow around your heart.

And you'll for sure be meeting her. Soon.

August 06, 2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

AWESOME. Totally rockin' cool. I hate that I don't live in Seattle; I really do.

August 06, 2007 3:08 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Now that you mention it, Red. I hate it, too. Very silly of you.

August 06, 2007 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Agreed. Not wearing a hat was most irresponsible of me. And being paid to hug people is one form of prostituting myself that I would be happy to indulge in. Did I say one? I meant 'top three'.

August 06, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Yes, definitely -- adorable is just the word that comes to mind! (Seriously, Hat, you truly are. You made me smile back just looking at you on the screen -- I waved too, but you didn't wave back.)

Lorraine, kudos to you on writing something that really took us all there, because you know we were all hanging around like famished vultures, waiting for the details.

So glad it was wonderful and fun! Of course the wine does nothing but add to the frivolity.

Oh, and the Child's "will do dishes for food" bit? Girl, you have passed on that sharp wit. Perfect. Doesn't that just make you so proud?

(JP: I agree, where the hell was her hat?)

August 06, 2007 4:11 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I'm crying...you all look so happy. The three of you are beautiful. I am also crying because the hamsters ran away today and your pix came up in seconds.

August 06, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Okay...I'm really trying hard not to be jealous,and it just ain't working out for me.
(sigh)..I guess I'll just have to be content with the terrific pix,and the warm account of your visit.
Two things:
a) Children and pets really should be fed at least once a day,..and,
2) This Italian Iced Tea thing sounds delicious!..It's the perfect Summertime treat.

August 06, 2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

KNEW you were going to go there, Hat.

Rosie: well, she's your child. Of course she's beautiful.

Cowbell: One of these times soon we'll get you over here, too. Something tells me we'll need a permit from the city, though.

Sling: there is that birthday invite hanging out there, you know...

And yeah, make a note. We need to serve Italian iced tea at the club. Lay in some real ginger ale, please.

August 06, 2007 5:00 PM  
Blogger Mom opined...

What a wonderful post. Felt like I was there enjoying the moment with you. Friendship is a priceless treasure.

August 06, 2007 5:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

So true, Mom, so true.

August 06, 2007 6:26 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

aw, that is so SWEET. I don't know how else to put it.

August 06, 2007 8:16 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know, Monica. Almost makes your teeth hurt. But it's all twoo, every bit of it.

August 06, 2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

WOOO HOOOO!!!!! Love the pics...oh and tell the child i have a job for here "Get us bloggers another drink!"

August 07, 2007 6:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

LOL Mouse...that's exactly what we should have done!

August 07, 2007 7:00 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

Pass the Kleenex this way please!

What a wonderful post!

August 07, 2007 7:51 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Lorraine -- a permit would definitely be in order. Oh yeah.

August 07, 2007 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home