Monday, August 13, 2007

A Minor Adjustment

Now that we've all weighed in on the good riddance of Karl Rove, let's talk about me for a moment.

First of all, it appears the commute issue is going to be ok. I have figured out a very nifty route and, if the first business day of this nonsense is any indication, so has just about everyone else. Which also means that I just bought myself an extra 30 minutes in the morning.

People heeded warnings, planned ahead, stuffed what few commuter trains we have and generally managed without major tie-ups of any sort. Frankly, I'm surprised. And I couldn't help but wonder if maybe when all this is over some of those folks mght not stay on the trains instead of climbing into their cars again.

Although, before I start waxing to Al Gorian, please note that I was driving my car and not using public transportation, nor would I use public transportation to get to this particular job because "public transportation" in Seattle doesn't approach meaning what it means in a place like Chicago which has trains that run, all the time, in varoius directions, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, I'm quite sure that you in Chicago and NY and SF and London and Paris and other sensible cities with some sort of subway/elevated/tram/train system would regaled me with a ton of stories about how your system isn't all that great/convenient/etc. And all I would say in answer to that is, "You have no idea what you're talking about".

But instead of boring you with the paucities of our "mass transit" (and oh, those are some air quotes just dripping with sticky sarcasm so watch your shoes) I would like to celebrate a mass transit system that I am very fond of. Today we celebrate the trains of Chicago.










Funny you-had-to-be-there story: after we left the dinner party we, Buck and the Iwanski-party-of-four took the train back downtown. This was very, very civilized and cosmopolitan. Late night, a bit more wine indulged than would be reasonable if one were driving a car, but no matter. We walked a very civilized number of blocks to the nearest train station and waited for very little time before the train arrived. A train which deposited us another very civilized number of blocks from home. This is how it is supposed to work. Anyhoo, I was quite full of joie de vie and "Chicago is the coolest city evah" and still flushed with the general excitement of being in the presence of greatness and I said, as we waited for the train, "Hey, everybody! Act like you're waiting for the train so I can take a picture!"





See? Casual.

On another note: working is hard.

(I said that with a really whiny baby voice, in case you couldn't tell).

I realize that there will be little sympathy coming from this hard-working crowd. And I don't want any. Chasing after a kid/keeping a house/volunteering/blahblahblahblahblahblah is certainly work and all that hooha. Balancing that and persuing avocations while actually engaged however briefly in a vocation: not easy. You knew that. I knew it, intellectually. Now the reality is kicking my arse.


Part of the challenge quite frankly has nothing to do with balancing things and everything to do with the fact that I have a tremendous amount to accomplish in a mere 3 weeks. And atop the organizing I am, by title, the Assistant to the Interim Director, which means admin-y stuff like letters and answering phones and all that sort of office-y stuff. And I find myself trying to walk a very thin line between learning enough to do an effective job without immersing myself in the work because I'm outie at the end of the month. Which is all to say that my brain hurt yesterday. Not a headache, a head hurt.

Also, and I know this sounds like whining but really I'm not, afternoon has never been my optimal time of day. I get home during the lowest bit of my energy cycle, or whatever you kids are calling it these days. For the next few weeks I must figure out how to regard the work I need to do for my real life (writing content for a website, updating the food blog, tending to family matters that require actual brain cells, etc.) without thumb-sucking and drooling.

Here's a picture of a man on the train in Chicago:


Hee.

I was thankful to come home to a very clean kitchen, courtesy of The Child, who took it upon herself to hand wash all the dishes that were not cleaned by the less than stellar performance of the dishwasher (again), and a clean Dog, again courtesy of The Child. She seems to be owning this latchkey kid thing with a fair amount of apblomb at the moment. I expect she'll be bored out of her mind by the end of the month but for now she's managing beautifully and I'm very proud of her.

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

Welcome to the real world!

Okay, you can slap me. I just had to say that cuz the John Mayer song was running through my head. Seriously, I would not want to be in your shoes, what with it being a temp job. THAT would make it harder than if it were a forever job, in my opinion.

As for cities with great mass transit, two words: London, Paris.

San Francisco's BART was a joke when I lived there for inTRA-city transit. The MUNI was the way we got around. Now, for inTER-city transit, yeah, BART was cool, but it doesn't even come close to Chi-Town or NYC for getting from say, The Richmond District to the Financial District.

August 14, 2007 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I could not be you right now for all the clams on the coast. Just knowing how temporary the situation is would make me slack off to near stoned Canadian hippie levels. As such, I am very proud of you. So there.

August 14, 2007 11:59 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

"paucities" is one of my favorite words ever! Just sayin.

August 14, 2007 12:44 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

great blog. i love you so much. so, the Sister of Mine is NOT going to Idaho with Boyfriend. She has asked if she can join our party on the Friday coming. I said she could and that you would be delighted. Are you delighted?

August 14, 2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

It sounds exhausting. And yes, I suppose I'm one of the "hardworking" people you talk about, but hello -- I blog at work (only occasionally) and only have myself to worry about once I punch out (I don't really "punch out," but you know what I mean ... it just sounded zippier than ... y'know ... leave). So ... there's that.

August 14, 2007 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

You will get through it all with much aplomb, because that's just the way you roll. You are a go getter, a self starter, an organizer, and a hell of a good person. It is evident to everyone who has ever read you for any length of time.

I love the transit system here in Chicago, it is very functional. It could definitely use some infrastructure work, and much better management, but all in all, it's easy and relatively inexpensive. So glad you enjoyed your time here!

August 14, 2007 2:40 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Gina, Thanks. I think.

Hat,"stoned Canadian hippie"...that sounds good right about now. I 'preciate the support.

Twisi: I'm not even sure paucity has a plural but I thought it was dandy, too.

Mols, Me=Delighted. Uncle Spouse won't believe it, though.

Red: Trust when I say, not blogging from the office is REALLY hard!

Tater, geez, thanks. Those were some mighty kind words. And Chicago just plain rocks.

August 14, 2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Domestic reality is a very hard job, add to that a job outside of the home that's temp or forever, you have your hands full. I worked a 10 hour day, would get up and clean the front part of the house, come home clean the back part, get dinner, wash and whatever else needed doing done and collapse into bed. Of course I am O/C but just sayin'...it is tough. As for the transit thing. Freeways in Calif. were it for me...sucked. Did the train from Rome to Florence; smelled, no air and no water...sucked. Frisco, ditto. Fell off a curb in Chicago.It was pretty rapid, does that count?

August 14, 2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

I'm glad to hear that you're able to drive to work without a lot of inconvenience.
I know relying on public transportation can be a drag.
Still,we don't have any kind of mass transit available here in O-Town at all.
We do have a saying though.
"Take me drunk officer,..I'm home"..

August 14, 2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Thanks, Sling. And I don't know about the rest of you but I'm thinking Blog Meet Up. OTown. Summer '08. Be there.

Sling, start making cabinets for all of us to sleep in.

August 14, 2007 6:53 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

First: The Child rocks. Really, isn't it just the best feeling in the world to come home to a clean house after working all day? That can practically move me to tears. (Note to Child: you have no idea how many brownie points you can score this way. Well done.)

Second, yeah, it's hard as hell. Without the other parent? Even more of a joy. When I was a SAHM (gawd those were the days) I worked just as hard, it's just that lots of things dont get done anymore. Like mopping. (are you kidding me?) I'm thinking that housecleaning and chef services should be a government bennie for working parents. Is that really asking too much? Will you sign my petition?

I can't believe you found a decent route to work in that mess! Impressive.

August 14, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

PS (yeah yeah) that last pic of The Child? Darling. (that and a clean house? She is good.)

August 14, 2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosie, I'm sorry you fell off a curb in Chicago. That ain't right.

August 14, 2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

CB: Yeah, she'll do. Of course, today I came home to a kitchen covered in flour; remnants of an "art project". But I'll count my blessings.

I swear, there've been times in all the SAHM years when I've felt tired and like I didn't get everything done that I wanted. But this doing the last of the dishes at 9:45 while everyone else sits on their arse thing? That is so gonna change.

August 14, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

the trains in chicago SHOULD be awesome. The line I live near is under construction though so I'm forced to take buses...i hate busess. our trans. isn't as good as new york by far though. anyway, i love it when visitors love this city. it makes me appreciate it more. hey remember in that movie "singles" when campbell scott's character was fixing the problem of mass transit? still no progresss on that, huh?

August 15, 2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger Renee opined...

Sounds like I've missed a lot...

Representing the 0.1% of your readership that does not work outside the home, I'm looking forward to hearing about your adjustment...

The personal organizer idea sounds perfect...

August 15, 2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Monica: Trust me when I say that if Seattle had a fraction of what Chicago does transit-wise we'd be making Mr. Scott very happy. It really sux.

Renee: it's so awesome that you can be home with your babes...still the hardest work anyone can do. I can't even imagine taking this on if The Child weren't as old as she is.

August 15, 2007 3:41 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I use paucities all the time... it may not be correct, but it just puts a smile in my heart to say it, like I said LOVE that word!

August 16, 2007 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home