Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday Morning Happy Dance

First of all, this getting up early enough to blog about something meaningful is harder than I thought.

Somewhere in Omaha someone just said, "See?"

But secondly, nothing I have to say is any where near as important as the news that this century's greatest patriot, that paragon of virtue, Karl Rove, has decided to leave politics. Greater minds than mine will have more to say about this in time, I am sure.

But even as I lay in that fragile place between waking and sleeping, vaguely hearing NPR as it wafted toward me from The Spouse's side of the bed, I heard the news, in the dim of 5:30am PDT, and I lifted my head and uttered something along the lines of "Tee!"

It is my contention that Karl Rove was a very, very bad man who did many, many bad things. He showed a blatant disregard for the Constitution and the very principles upon which this nation was founded and he did so for no better reason than arrogance and hubris. I truly believe that a lot of what he thinks he got away with was done with the spirit of a naughty little boy who tries something just to see if he'll get caught.

Well, so far, he has dodged an indictment and has timed his resignation so as to not leave in the midst of a scandal or a lost election, thereby creating the illusion that he's leaving on his own for his own purposes. And what do I know? Maybe he really is.

But I know this: what's left of our justice system may yet come for him. If not that, history will not treat him with kindness. And someday he will have to answer for what he's done. Maybe now, more likely later. But there will be a reckoning. To have the sort of genius he is reported to have and use it for ill instead of good? That, my friends, is my idea of sin.

So Karl Rove leaves the White House and, reportedly, politics. And while I know there are plenty of evil-doers still left in the administration and all that, Rove's resignation is a good thing. A very good thing.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

There's no way that Rove is just "walking away". My guess is that this is about the time that political people attached to lame ducks leave so they can hitch their wagon to someone running in the next election.

August 13, 2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I echo alan's post. Mitt? Rudy?? Who will be the "lucky" wagon Rove hitches himself to next?

August 13, 2007 8:48 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

I bet Mitt already has Karl on speed dial!

Ugh, could there be 2 more vile people? mitt and karl

August 13, 2007 9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Come the Rapture, he's totally going to have his pick of cool cars.

August 13, 2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Remember that great scene in Soapdish when Sally Field was trying to come up with Hitler's henchman, and finally says, "Eichmann! You're Eichmann! That's you!!"

Someday, we'll speak of Rove with the same reverance.

Oh, and ditto what Alan said.

August 13, 2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger Traveling Matt opined...

Karl Rove is a bad scary man. So is Penis Cheney. It would be awesome if someone would kill them... I'm sorry, I just really believe that to be true. Too bad whoever does it will be punished horribly...unless it is another member of their clique who does the deed. Does this make me a bad person? Oh man.

August 13, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Karl Rove is just one of those men that is a throw back the Henry the VIII. In it for whatever he can grab/steal/hurt/scam. He is not a nice person and gawd forbid he is attached to anything in a wannabe future perz.

August 13, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

umm that's pRez

August 13, 2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

Although calling Rove a perz sounds kinda good.

August 13, 2007 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

See?

August 13, 2007 3:27 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Alan, Bolton apparently told staffers that if they were still on board after Labor Day they'd be expected to stick it out. So there you go. I'm sure you're right...but I hope you're wrong.

SCG: Surely there's a proffesorship for him at Machiavelli U?

TWISI: Possibly, but I have to think about it.

Hat: LOL!

I've no doubt about it, Red.

Monica: seriously, that's part of what I don't like about this crew...the way their nonesense makes otherwise perfectly reasonable people think bad things themselves. It's evil, I tell you. The kind of concentrated evil that blew people up in "Time Bandits".

From your lips, Rosie. And I like "perz", too.

August 13, 2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Hello?..Bush even fondly refers to him as "The Architect"..
I can't get the phrase,"of the Final Solution" out of my head.

August 13, 2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

Nuts. This particular mind was planning to write a throw-away post describing what a cat is thinking as he cleans his crotch. Now I've gotta go and get all political, instead of scatalogical.

August 13, 2007 6:57 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, you are a wise man.

Lex: I dunno. The cat angle might work.

August 13, 2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Grish opined...

I'm with Alan and apparently everyone else up there. I think it's just strategic job placement but it is cool to simply see it in print that he's leaving office...

August 13, 2007 10:30 PM  
Blogger Doralong opined...

Spawn of Satan.. plain and simple. But then again, there seems to be quite a few of the evil one's offspring populating PA Ave these days.

August 14, 2007 6:06 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It was nice, to see, wasn't it, Grish? Regardless of motives, next steps, whatever. The fact that Bush said he'd been down along behind him soon enough? Couldn't help but think, how fun if THAT didn't mean what he thought it meant. Sigh.

Doralong: yes, sadly, Rove's departure hardly sweetens the atmosphere but it's such a happy start.

August 14, 2007 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home