Monday, July 09, 2007

Dinner and a Show; Only the Other Way Around

Last Thursday we had the great and grand privilege of attending a performance of the Broadway hit, "Wicked".
It was playing at the Oriental Theatre, which was just as ornate, grand and encrusted with all manner of architectural goo-gawery as the name would suggest.

The Spouse and I read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire a few years ago. Upon hearing it was going to be made into a musical our mutual response was, "HUH?" Nothing about the book suggests singing and dancing. The book is dark and a little sordid, heavy on characterization and fairly light on actual story. This is going to work as a musical?

No. It couldn't possibly. Which is why Winnie Holzman, who wrote the book for the musical played very fast and loose with Maguire's text. How fast and loose? The characters have the same names and maybe 3 or 4 things that happen in the book happen in the play and that's about it. The result is 2 hours and 15 minutes of something entirely reimagined but excellent in it's own right.

The show opens with Glinda asking the musical question: are people born wicked or do some have wickedness thrust upon them?

The musical answer isn't very complicated. Elphaba, with her green skin, has been on the outside all her life; unloved by her father, nursemaid to her sister, racked by guilt about things for which she's not even responsible. But she is smart. She has conviction, loyalty and a pretty centered moral compass. Her choices end up putting her on the wrong side of the status quo and that's when labels like "wicked" start getting bandied about. A victim of politics, she is made into the "other" that the Wizard of Oz necessarily needs in order to keep moving ahead with his agenda. (Dang. That is sounding so familiar, isn't it? You know, like when you call someone a traitor because they disagree with your war policy?)

Elphaba's foil is of course, Galinda...a bubbly, air-head blonde who knows all about what it is to be popular, but isn't half as clever as Elphaba. The play is more focused on the relationship of these two than I remember the book being, thus becoming a story about friendship and all that goes with it: loyalty, betrayal, reconciliation. Galinda might not be as smart as Elphaba, but she knows how to get what she wants and is willing to make whatever alliances she needs to get it.

When they call this a musical they aren't kidding. The show runs for 2 hours, 15 minutes and there are 21 songs. There is not a lot of talking or straight ahead acting in this production. It is just one song after another. Good songs, too. Composer and lyricist Stephen Swartz, he of "Pippin" and "Godspell", has a gift for the grand and soaring as well as the quiet and intimate (which usually ends up become grand and soaring anyway). And if there is a smidge of schmalz to his style, he's got the chops to keep it from running roughshod. There are some imminently singable tunes in this show and a few that will give you chills. (End of the first act? Hello!)

The show is also abundant in pure, good old fashioned stagecraft. The sets are terrific, with fabulous details but a measured simplicity the evoke rather than describe the scenes. There are unbelievably quick costume changes. And snaps to whoever did Elphaba's makeup because I don't know what product there is that can withstand the heat of the lights, plus all the hugging, running, dancing, and generally sweat-inducing activity of being on stage for almost the entire production.

Theater is still fairly pure, virtually untouched by CGI and blue screens and all the rest of it. If someone rises up in the air, you gotta figure out how to hoist 'em. If they melt through a floor, well, someone is going down through a trap door. If there are smoke and mirrors, they are real smoke and mirrors and no clever chappie with his computer and animation program are involved. There is a magic to the theater that film, however much we love it, can never lay claim to.

The show has some serious, dramatic moments, to be sure. And "a message". It is also pretty funny. There's just a lot of inherent comedy in a serious, green witch being college roomies with a pretty, blonde, sorority type. Not to mention the usually quite amusing throw-away references to the movie.

The Child was just beside herself, she loved the show so much. (And here's another difference between the two mediums: the show is absolutely child-friendly. The book not so much. It'll be at least another couple years before I'll let her read it).

I, however, expect to re-read the book soon. I don't, for example, remember the politics being that profound in the book. Or maybe it's just that when I read the book we still had habeaus corpus and domestic surveillance was just an Orwellian fiction. Let's just say it was hard not to compare the Wizard and his agenda to the current administration. And that was creepy.

To sum up: terrific show. Loved. It. Quintessential musical theater experience. I frankly went to the show with a large grain of salt. Too many raves always make me nervous. In this case, the product lives up to the hype. No sooner was it finished than The Child asked, "If this comes to Seattle can we...."

"Yes!" I replied. It really is that good.

Apres theater we went to Smith and Wollensky, a classic steakhouse right off the Dearborn St. bridge, next to our apartment. Because The Spouse really wanted to have a Chicago steak. I, still being full to the ears from all the week's eating, settled for a bowl of soup. Which was only the most gorgeous bowl of black bean soup I've ever had and let me tell you, I have had some mighty fine black bean soup in my day. The Child opted for a Caesar salad, which was bigger than her head but she ate almost all of it. And we were very happy with our simple fare, even as The Spouse dug into a beautiful looking slab of porterhouse. He wanted to bring the bone home as a souvenir for The Dog. I don't think I was wrong to suggest that he not. Oddly, there was just enough room for a delicious bit of Key lime pie, which was a triumph of balance between the shut-off-your-airways tartness inherent in Key limes and just enough sugar to tame but not cloy.



Just another night on the town in Chicago.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Eric opined...

Ahem It is off State Street, Dearborn is the next block over and the steak was a New York Strip

July 09, 2007 3:14 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

S&W is goooooooooooooooooooooooood.

They do amazing things with spices there too.

July 09, 2007 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

to tame but not cloy...that is the question. Actually, that is a statement but whatever.
Wicked sounds fantastic and if it comes to Seattle I will meet you there.

July 09, 2007 3:48 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

I've not seen the show Wicked, but I did read the book many moons ago. And I remember being struck by the fact that Dorothy was just a pawn, and that The Wizard was the real bad guy, and delighted that Maguire's book violated nothing I already knew about the Oz story but showed the power of looking at the same thing from a completely different angle and seeing a mightily different thing.

I might have to see the show, altho' I'll be forever sad I didn't see the loverly Kristin Chenoweth play Galinda on B'way.

July 09, 2007 4:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Has anyone else ever noticed that the only time my husband ever leaves a comment on my blog is because he is nitpicking about something? Does anyone else find that annoying?

Iwanski, seriously.

It's a date, Hat.

That's what I like about all of Maguire's stuff, Red, that whole looking at the familiar from a whole new angle thing. And I too mourn the fact that I never saw the delightful and effervesant Ms. Chenoweth as Glinda but then, that's why God made YouTube.

July 09, 2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

But you can access Smith & Wollensky's from Dearborn. You just walk by the Sippy-Cup Place, remember?

July 09, 2007 5:09 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

HA! I knew there was a reason Dearborn sounded right. HA!

July 09, 2007 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Actually, Jonathan, that would be the "squeezie bottle place"--get it right!! *hee hee*

Miss ya', Lorraine-ey! :)

Love,

MHP :)

July 09, 2007 5:47 PM  
Blogger Lex Lata opined...

What a coincidence. When I was in the Army, I saw a movie called "Wizard of Ahs," and it was nothing like the original. And instead of singing, there was lots of . . . wait. Your daughter doesn't read this blog, does she?

July 09, 2007 5:48 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Ooh, fun! I got to see it on my one and only trip to NYC - loved it. The eldest daughter still hasn't seen it, and is chomping at the bit. Hey, she says it's coming to Seatown in October. (sadly, she'll be back in DC by that time, in class.)

I really want to see the Lion King again.

July 09, 2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

MHP: Tee big time...squeezy/sippy...no matter what...now I know the place you're talking about. And I miss you, too!

Lex. No. She doesn't. But I've sure missed that scintillating wit.

Cowbell: October? No kidding? Hat, do you hear that? I'm thinking GNO! (Of course, I have to bring the kid with me so it can only be only so much GNO, but still). And hello? Lion King? Totally.

July 09, 2007 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I live here and I still haven't seen Wicked. That makes me a homebody loser. Wicked Homebody Loser. *sniff* I shoulda told you about Gene & Georgetti's in Chicago for steaks, they put S&W to shame. The place is a little politically and mob connected, but hey, it's Chicago, and the child could have had a civics lesson there. Great post BTW, you have motivated me to get ripped off by Ticketmaster, and eat pie.

July 10, 2007 3:50 AM  
Blogger HORIZON opined...

Oh you lucky thing Lorraine- this whole night out sounded fantastic!! Nothing like going to the theatre for some heart pounding antics :)
So glad your daughter got to enjoy it all with you too.
You should do the write up for this show and send it in to the local newspaper- very good read.
Hubby still has to give you the recipe for the whiskey sauce- will do this weekend. His work week has been so busy lately.
bests x

July 10, 2007 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I think maybe my problem with the book was that I'd heard too much about the musical, so I was expecting things that weren't there.

I'm sure I'll like the musical way better.

July 10, 2007 10:47 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Tater, Ticketmaster is Satan but "Wicked" is worth it. And G&G's sounds great...we'll have to check it out next time we're in Chicago. And there will be a "next time". And you'll have have to join in the merriment.

Horizon, it was quite the bit of icing on the cake, to be sure. And I need that whiskey sauce recipe!

JP: That makes perfect sense. I think if someone saw the musical and then read the book they'd be deeply disappointed. The other way around could happen too, I suppose, but we were able to let go of all that and just enjoy the show. And I have to think you'd love it. "Popular" is pretty much worth the price of admission.

July 10, 2007 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home