Thursday, June 21, 2007

R.I.P


I'm very sad to report that Bugsy has gone to be with St. Lassie.

He had a very rough night on Wednesday and was clearly uncomfortable all day yesterday. (The Neighbor's son and his girlfriend were with him all day). When she got home from work they decided that keeping him alive at this point was more for them than for him and so they took him to the vet and were with him when he died.

And yes, we were all crying and very sad last night because Bugsy was a part of our family, too. He stayed with us whenever she was out of town. On nice days, when The Neighb would leave him out in the yard, he'd come over to the fence to say "hi" and get his head scratched through the fence.

People who don't have pets don't understand how much a part of the rhythm of your life they become. And dogs, in particular, occupy a special place in the life of a family. They have so much personality, they give love so unconditionally. When our Cat was sick and possibly dying that made us all very sad. But once The Child looked up at me and said, "Oh, mommy, if I'm this sad about The Cat, what would it be like if it was The Dog?" It hurts to even contemplate it.

Which is why we all know how hard this is for The Neighbor and her kids. (We're all so glad both of them were in town when all this happened).

Bugsy was 15 and 1/2. He led a very exciting life for a Bichon. The Son used to treat him as if he were a Doberman...taking him off on surfing vacations and the like. He got to fly to Montana last Christmas. (The picture above is from that trip; he's posing with The Son).
He was a family dog who became the beloved, constant companion of The Neighbor when she went through her divorce. He was with her when the kids left the nest and he always seemed to be just a smidge more sprightly whenever either of them returned home. He was a quiet, loving little chap who looked like a foo-foo dog but had the heart of a champion. He was dearly loved.

We're going to have a wake for him in a couple of weeks. That'll be a good thing. And maybe, when some time has passed, The Neighbor will get another dog. (She's hardly ever been without one in her whole life. The Spouse has suggested that she send up black smoke every day and then, when she gets a new dog, signal its arrival with white smoke. What a card). Of course, she can't really think about that right now. Now is the time for just missing Bugsy and being grateful for all his doggy years of friendship.

Rest in peace, Bugs. Hope all the fire hydrants in heaven are solid gold.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

I'm weepy-eyed this morning reading this post. LT, this is beautifully written.

Bugsy will be greatly missed by all of us. And by Monica especially. :)

My condolences to the Nayb and her family. Bugsy was truly one in a bazillion.

RIP, Bugsy...

June 21, 2007 9:32 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: There's talk of burning Monica on a pyre at the wake. It would be fitting.

June 21, 2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

My heartfelt condolances to dear Nayb. She's lucky to have you as a friend and Nayb but there will be lots of healing to be done. (And I love the bit about the white smoke. Will they announce "Habemus Caninus" when it happens?)

June 21, 2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

That will mean a lot to her, Jon. And yeah, I think if we do the smoke thing we have to take it all the way.

June 21, 2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

OK, there should be one of those "Do not read this at work" disclaimers on that. Very sad -- I'm so sorry to hear about Bugsy. Dogs really are part of the family. Good thoughts to Bugsy's family.

(the black/white smoke thing -- too good, along w/ Jon's "Habemus Caninus")

June 21, 2007 11:01 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sorry, Cowbell. I actually called The Neighb to tell her not to read it at work. Although, I dunno, the "R.I.P" coulda been a tip-off.

And your good thoughts are duly noted. Thanks.

June 21, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

can someone please pass a tissue? I wish I wouldn't have read this, I have only had my precious child for 6 months and I can't imagine what my life would be like without her.

k

June 21, 2007 1:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Yeah, I coulda used that warning, darn you! Please give the Nayb my heartfelt condolences. Now that I have a Bichon, I have come to realize that, though they may look like a foo-foo dog, and people may assume that because they're small they're yappy, they are anything but. They are bright, inquisitive, loving, brave little guys. Mine wormed his way into my heart in just a couple of hours. I can only imagine how much a part of her existence Bugsy has become in 15 1/2 years. And yeah, dogs hold a different kind of special place in our hearts than cats, though when my cat goes, I will be beside myself longer than I can even begin to imagine. Ah, pets...they are such a treasure.

June 21, 2007 1:39 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Alright, kids, let's get something straight. If you see a post title that says "R.I.P" followed by a picture of a dog that you know is ailing, odds are pretty good that it won't be a happy story. Just saying.

Exactly, Gina. They are a noble breed, those Bichons.

June 21, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

In heaven, there's milk bones and bright red fire hydrants as far as the eye can see.

June 21, 2007 9:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Amen, Iwanski, Amen.

June 21, 2007 9:31 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

Oh, how sad ...

It's been six years and sometimes even talking about my beloved Maudie gets me all choked up.

June 22, 2007 3:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, I can still get worked up about the collie that bought the farm when I was 6.

June 22, 2007 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home