Wednesday, June 13, 2007

She Blinded Me With Science

The Child has a test coming up in science class so at dinner she's been quizzing us about simple machines. It doesn't feel like studying if you have a chance to make mom and dad look stupid. Check that, rewind. The only person who she makes look stupid is mom.

The Spouse, he's all about the science stuff and what's worse, he totally understands what he's saying. Me? I fall back on the time-honored line, "I was an English major".

The cool thing is that The Child seems to get this stuff, too. For example, back in the dark ages, when The Spouse was her age, there were 3 kinds of simple machines: inclined plane, lever and pulley. Nowadays, they speak of 6 simple machines adding screw, wedge and wheel & axle to the mix. So the other night they had a spirited debate over The Spouse's contention that the 3 others were really just variations of the original 3 and The Child arguing for the integrity of the unique purpose of all 6. Yeah, I got lost, too. But it was awesome that she didn't just parrot the list of 6 but actually understood enough about what they do to make a cogent argument. Because that's the point, isn't it?

For me, when I was learning that sort of stuff, I'd memorize whatever I needed in order to make a stab at passing the test. Then the information would immediately fall out the back of my head. Plus, I didn't care. I never had a burning curiosity about why things worked. It was, and is, enough for me to take it on faith. The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round and then you get to the mall. Works for me.

I can't prove this scientifically, for obvious reasons, but I believe that there must be genes for this sort of thing. The Spouse's parents were both engineers. His brother is an engineer. He has an aunt who is a biologist by training. He's a computer geek. My side of the family is made up of musicians and writers. I do not believe that there is a single person in my family, for at least 3 generations, who is or was any good at math and if they are, they married in. I'm talking about blood relatives. Balancing a checkbook is about all any of us has ever mastered. That, and I can calculate a 20% tip in my head. But that's pretty much the extent of it.

So it just fascinates me to see my child possessed of abilities on both sides of the brain. She is very creative. She loves to sing and dance and write stories. She loves to act. But she also has an aptitude for the sciences. I wouldn't say that she loves those studies as much as the others but when she decides to pay attention, she gets it.

I think that's cool.




"She Blinded Me With Science" Thomas Dolby

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I'm genuinely grateful that you posted the Dolby video. Otherwise, I would have 'the wheels on the bus' song stuck in my head all the live long day.

June 13, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

We're all about the public service here at "Here's the Thing". Pass the chicken.

June 13, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

You ALMOST mentioned your brother, but not quite. God, you're such a tease.

June 13, 2007 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round...

June 13, 2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Jon, Stop it.

JP, You're tormenting the Hat again, aren't you?

June 13, 2007 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Finally getting around to listening to that iPod eh JP?

June 13, 2007 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

...and Bingo was his name-O. There was a farmer...

June 13, 2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

You lost me at cogent.

Kendall

June 13, 2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, goody, Kendall. That means you and I can sit and sing simple songs with JP.

"Alouette, gentille Alouette
Alouette je te plumerai"...

June 13, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Your singing about ripping the feathers off a bird!!!!

June 13, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And then I'm going to cook the little bugger in white wine and shallots!

June 13, 2007 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

hah hah! I used to sing that song as: all a'wentay jumpy all a'wentay all a'wentay jumpy all the way.
French cooking music rocks!
(air guitar)

June 13, 2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ok, I've brought out the wood blocks and the autoharp. Now we're going to sing "White Coral Bells" in a round. JP, you start...

June 13, 2007 1:43 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I can use a calculator to balance my checkbook...my daughter is a mortgage broker. Her father is a dolt.

June 13, 2007 3:15 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

The kid is smart. Good work.

June 13, 2007 3:53 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

..all this talk of higher mathematics,and great spinning bus wheels is making me hungry for some dead bird...in white wine and shallots...and applesauce cake..
I've arrived to the party too late,haven't I?

June 13, 2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

party??? science???
Hey-- star party.. friday... here!
When science meets creativity there is greatness

June 13, 2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Rosemary, fortunately, The Child's father is not a dolt.

Iwanski, yeah, she's pretty smart. We like that about her.

Sling, honey, you're never late. There's some left-over birdie in the fridge and the applesauce cake will be out of the oven in about 15 minutes.

Mouse, indeed. Seeing my kid as the embodiment of the best of both of us, that is just plain magic.

June 13, 2007 6:49 PM  
Blogger Anne opined...

I liked the video, it's fun to see that again. It's nice to see a well-rounded child. I've got a smart, creative and somewhat lazy daughter, not as well-rounded as I'd like.

June 14, 2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Anne, thanks for stopping by. And if you like 80s music, you need to check out my and JP's blog - Here's the 80s. We've got it all, baby!

And my kid is pretty lazy, too, truth be told. Sometimes I think that's the deal with the bright, creative ones...so much to think about, so little time...hey! a new episode of "Hannah Montana"!

June 14, 2007 11:06 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

When you call me Rosemary are you:
A. mad at me
B. Didn't like my comment
3. Love the feel of typing my name on your keybpard and thinking of lovely memories running thru the fields of your childhood.
4. Usually it's rosie or RM.....feeling kind of weird about the whole name thing.

June 14, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's so funny you should say that,ROSIE, because I like calling you ROSIE but I wasn't sure how you felt about it since you blog as Rosemary. Some people don't like it when you shorten up their name, you know? (I, for future reference, don't mind being called "Lor" but hate answering to "Lori" because that was my nickname growing up and I'm over it. The only people who can get away with it now are blood relatives).

Although, whenever I type out "Rosemary" I am thinking ever so fondly of the giant shrub of same just outside my kitchen door and how you once commented that it looked like you before a hair cut. It was one of the things that made me love you and now I call my rosemary "Rosemary".

Hope that clears things up.

June 14, 2007 12:49 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Dylan is going to be an extremely well-rounded woman when she grows up. She has already surpassed her cousin in many ways in terms of domesticity... all i can make is mashed potatoes and Emma can't even boil water.

June 15, 2007 1:26 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, but Mols, mashed potatoes, well-made mashed potatoes, that is one exceedingly important skill. I do worry about Em, though.

June 15, 2007 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home