Thursday, June 14, 2007

Oh My Yord

Things have been relatively quiet around the Casa social calendar-wise. And then everything exploded.

While I was sitting in my Parent Board meeting The Child came in to announce that the 7th grade will be performing salsa at the Spring Concert.

"What Spring Concert?" I asked.

"The one tomorrow night", came the blithe reply.

Are you frakking kidding me?

Here's a run-down of the current calendar for the next little bit.

Tonight - Stupid meeting of the 7th grade parents (more on that in a sec)

Friday - Frakkety frakking Spring Concert

Saturday - Lie very, very low and don't move.

Sunday - Father's Day + church + I have to spend a couple hours at school with the other board members moving all our stuff out of a supply closet that we just found out is going to be taken over by a new computer system.

Monday - help set-up for graduation reception (something the 7th grade does for the 8th). I'm going to be there from 3-6 setting up. The Child has to hang until...wait for it...10 frakking p.m. Guess who has to pick her up?

Tuesday - Lie very, very low and don't move, except to coordinate details and plan menus for the rest of the week because:

Wednesday - end-of-the-year school picnic

Thursday - Ministries dinner at church (have to bring a salad for 8)

Friday - sleep-over baby shower for Seattle Coffee Girl (including an elegant little supper for 6 or 7)

Saturday - Summer Solstice feast

Sunday - Final Parent Board meeting

And then there are 4 days to pack and get hair cuts and what-not before we leave for Chicago on Friday.

I need a tablet.

So the meeting tonight. First, you need to understand that the parents of The Child's class have not historically distinguished themselves as go-getters. There are some parents who have been involved with various projects but after 3 years, I don't even know probably half of the folks. They show up for Curriculum Night in September and that's the last you see of them.

Right, so a meeting has been called to review our role for graduation (fine) and to start discussing fundraising for next year so that the kids can take their 8th grade trip to...wait for it...New York and D.C.

On one hand, this is a very impressive thing. I really didn't think we'd get our act together enough to manage anything more than a trip to Ballard. I am very impressed that a couple of parents, neither of whom are moi, have stepped up to get us organized.

That said, I happen to know for a fact that they are going to propose that our fundraising strategy should involve working a stand at Safeco field.

There are manifold problems with this idea, imho.

1) It's a complete headache. You need 20 people to staff a booth; 20 people who are willing to give up 9-10 hours of an evening or weekend. Parent Association has done if for a couple of years and we're not next year because it is such a pain in the arse.

2) It's one of those things that sounds good on paper. If you have a full complement of people you get paid $1200 plus any profits. But if it's a light staff, at $60/head, it can end up being a lot of hours for very little return.

c) Some people, such as moi ,are just not going to sign up. I'll tell you that right now. There is no way in the world I am going to work any Safeco games to send a bunch of 14-year-olds to the eastern seaboard.

Add to all that, I don't think it is the responsibility of the parents to raise all the funds for this expedition. Good lord, even this morning The Child said, "Well, Mommy, I really think that if we want to go to New York we should be the ones raising the money".

Damn straight, my little chickadee! She said I could quote her. I so am.

Now, I'm not going to go to the meeting and tell them that Safeco is a stupid idea. If they think enough parents will be happy to do it and they want to organize it, that's just dandy. More power to them. But I will make a case for there being avenues for parents who can't or won't do Safeco to aid the cause. And then I'm going to bring up the whole kids-having-ownership thing and then, just because I'm so superfantastic, I'm going to volunteer to be the one who sits down with the kids at the beginning of the year to brainstorm a slate of fundraisers, develop a calendar and marketing plan and generally engage the little beggars in raising their own bloody money.

And if that plan goes over, just between us, I'm also going to be keeping very close tabs on who is involved and to what degree. Because I can tell you right now there are entirely too many kids in that class who have quite the sense of entitlement and are very good at standing in the shadows while others do the heavy lifting, stepping out just in time to take all the credit. That is so not happening on my watch. Bwahahaha.

On the other hand, I'm so volunteering to chaperon the little darlings should all this come to fruition. New York and DC? Hello? I'm so there!





On the Happy Happy Joy Joy front, things are moving ahead on the food blog. I finally have a name that I'm pleased with, JP is going to design my banner and The Hat is doing the artwork. I've been busy copying some of my old food posts into the new space so that there will be some stuff there when I launch. It's become quite the little project but I'm excited about it. I even, at JP's suggestion, registered the .com and .net domain names for the title. This is going to be a nice little way of keeping mommy off the streets and out of trouble. I'm thinking I'll open 'er up for business next week sometime. I'll keep you posted.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I can't wait to see what The Hat comes up with. I'm giddy, even.

June 14, 2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

I know. We picked out swatches and everything. I'm sitting here now visualizing what I want so that she can pick up on my brain waves and make it come to life. If ever there was a time to be sharing a brain...

June 14, 2007 12:51 PM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

Your food blog is going to be my favorite thing to read EVAH. If I were Nigella, I would be AWFULLY scared right now.

June 14, 2007 1:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Can't wait for the new blog!

On another note, my good, good friend/former protege is moving back to Seattle from Connecticut. He works for ESPN.com/Disney Group and just transferred to the WDIG HQ in Seattle. He emailed me links to the house he found to rent - in Ballard! I had never even heard of Ballard before. Great house! Super location! And now you're posting about Ballard. Weird.

I'm with you on the whole stand at Safeco thing. Been there. Done that. Pretty much as you described it. The Child is one bright cookie! I'd keep her around for a while.

June 14, 2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

I might actually be inspired to cook....or at least try to boil water. Can we make silly comments on the new blog or is it strictly business? Will you be able to make any money from this venture? Are you going to compile a cookbook of your recipes? Are there any recipes for challenged people? Are you going to have a webcast thingy? Do monthly live cooking? Do you have an agent?

I am all for making the kids partly responsible in paying for the trip. You know that old ethic we all grew up with...you want something you have to work for it. Your child will be a stellar example.

June 14, 2007 1:16 PM  
Blogger TWISI opined...

FOOD BLOG..........YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Just please put some not so fattening things on it....you know us "blessed around the middle" kids don't need another Paula Dean!

k

June 14, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

You are so sweet, Buck. As for Nigella, I'm just hoping that we can become besties.

Gina, that is very funny about the Ballard connection! It's always been one of those 'hoods that's something of a joke to the rest of the city but has in recent years become one of "the" places to be. Your friend should be very happy there. Oh, and if he's going to need a Girl Friday, you should have him call me.

I may have to take this post & your comment to my meeting tonight.

Rosie, you'll be able to comment. It's gonna pretty much be like this one only focused on food. It ain't gonna be no cash cow but it certainly might end up being a way to develop material for a book down the road.

The recipes won't be too high church. I'm all for the straight-forward preparation sort of thing. I'll just betcha you'll be able to manage 'em.

Wanna be my agent?

Kendall: I am learning to embrace my midsection blessings. But while I am a friend to butter, I think I'll leave the mega-caloric schtick to Paula, bless her clogged arteries. Hopefully, you'll find some things that will please you.

June 14, 2007 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Paula Dean! That is EXACTLY how I want to cook. Because at some point you just have to accept that being thin is never going to happen again. As for your salad, may I suggest the strawberry walnut salad. It is divine and makes people think you worked a whole lot harder than you actually did. Sort of like a rice crispy bar. Well, now I have to go eat a pan of rice crispy bars. Damn my easily suggestive brain! It was so much more organized when you were in there. Toot toot!

June 14, 2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mmm, I was thinking along the lines of black bean and corn salad but strawberry walnut sounds heavenly.

Oh, and while I was in your brain I found your car keys in the cookie jar and matched up all your socks. There was one lavendar & pink striped knee high that had no partner (I even check under all the cushions) so I fashioned this amusing little puppet for you. She's called shotgun for the drive west. Her name is FooFoo. Don't ask me why.

June 14, 2007 2:17 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh, and btw, Hat, I've seen your fried chicken. Paula called. She's jealous.

June 14, 2007 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

FOOD BLOG! YES! lorraine, i'm gonna tell the world. just thinking about your lamb makes nabil drool.
Plus: i told MHP she needs to keep me on the in with the chicago plans. i just have this need to meet you and the fam. schedule is gonna be tight, but i think i can swing it! wheee!!!

June 14, 2007 4:30 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Stacy, thanks for the support. And while I think you are absolutely out of your mind insane to think about trying to hook up with us in Chicago, given the, what is it again, oh, yeah, YOUR WEDDING, if we can make it work it would be delightful.

June 14, 2007 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

(embarrassed) I really could have used this information before I sold my car. I did give the buyer a number for a good locksmith though, so I'm sure she's fine. And as for Foofer's - I.Love.Her.
You didn't by any chance stumble across what's left of my sanity did you? Let's see now, I set it down, the phone rang...ah well. It'll turn up one of these days.

June 14, 2007 5:10 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, perhaps you could make the old car keys into a necklace for FooFoo. I'm sure she likes shiny things. As for your sanity, there was a slice of something on the buffet, next to the hula woman lamp, but I don't know if that was your sanity or some lemon meringue pie. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

June 14, 2007 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

I can't believe you just exposed my hula woman la...did someone say pie? (heh heh, pie jokes. They just never get old)

June 14, 2007 5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown opined...

Okay, you two, knock it off! You're making me choke on my soda every time I take a sip and read another comment. My keyboard is going to stop wo9k7yng. Now l*pk wh@T Y^v3 d0n3!

June 14, 2007 5:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Hat, we made Gina break her keyboard. Quick, you distract her with FooFoo and I'll get the gin.

Wait. She doesn't drink gin.

Vodka, then.

And pie. (snort- you're right. Pie is so funny).

June 14, 2007 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home