Monday, June 11, 2007

Over-thinking













Sling started it. Go here and you too can create your own personal seal, just like the cool kids.

I have a really hard time with stuff like this, finding one pithy little phrase or thought that sums me up. Not because I'm so bloody complicated; distillation is just a process that confounds me.

It's why I like to write; plenty of time to edit. Stick a microphone in my face and ask a simple question and there will be a dearth of bon mots, but probably plenty of "ums" and "ehs".

Me speaking not so much with the articulateness.


Anyhoo, for about a week now I've been puzzling over a title for a new blog. Some of you have suggested it and what with various other things that have been conspiring in my universe, I've decided to launch a food blog. I don't want to abandon this one, because it's good to have a place to drivel on about whatever is drivelling. The challenge of another blog, themed to something I am pretty interested in, seems like a good/fun idea.

But what to call it? Because I don't want something too cutesy or confining. I don't want to name it something that will get it beat up on the playground. (And no, honey, Tiffany and Jennifer aren't good names for a blog. But thanks). I've asked advice of friends and rolled their suggestions round and round to see if anything sticks.

JP says I'm overthinking it. He's probably right, because he usually is. But still.

You know what probably is complicating this? All that time spent in front of the Food Network the other day. They're all about "point of view" over there. You know:

Rachael has 30 minute meals.
Bobby grills.
Emeril turns things up a notch.
Sandra never cooks anything herself.
Paula is all about the down home cookin', y'all.
Gia has big teeth, all the better for eathing everyday Italian food, my dear.
Alton explores the science behind the yum.
Ina doesn't wear shoes.
Nigella bites, of course, and it really is just absolutely brilliant.

So anyway, I've been trying to come up with some pithy little title that conveys not just what I think about food but what a reader might expect to find therein. Last night The Neighbor and I were brain-storming (ha! That's exactly what I feel like, like there's a storm in my brain) and came up with something that at least made both of us laugh. So that's done. Unless I change my mind. Which I could. I expect to launch it later this week. I'll let you know.

There are other things about which my brain has been storming:

I recently gave solicited advice to a friend which was so generous in its objectivity that I have effectively aced myself out of another job opportunity. (The gun shot wound in my foot is healing nicely, thank you).

All of a sudden and with absolutely no warning, school is almost out. Which means that any projects I feel compelled to finish before summer need to be finished in the next 7 days, and all without the benefit of my extra long days because The Child is done with her service hours. Plus next week is going to be insane and then it's almost time to go to Chicago. Not to mention I have about 412 things to do for the end-of-the-year picnic.

I am mystified as to how The Child's room, which was nicely tidied up on Saturday, can already be a disaster when all she's pretty much done in it is read and sleep.

Perhaps this should be my seal:

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Renee opined...

Oh, I'm super excited for the new blog's debut!

P.S. I have officially become addicted to "The Gilmore Girls".

June 12, 2007 3:15 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Ah, the girls. I'm so glad. Even though it's all over now and I have to officially hate Lauren Graham. It's such a good show. Sigh.

June 12, 2007 3:46 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Two words.."Immaculate Consumption"..
Actually,my first thought was,"Eat Me!"..I know you've already picked a title.I just wanted to bug you.. :)

June 12, 2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bwah to the haha, Sling. That's why I love you, dude!

June 12, 2007 6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

"Here's The Food" wasn't even considered was it?

June 12, 2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Yes, it was, Hat. JP suggested it. And Red suggested "Here's the Dish". But I'm trying to get away from the "Here's the" thing.

June 12, 2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Oh! I was right there with The Hat. That was so funny when I read that! Oh ... ok, I guess you had to be here. Never mind.

I must say, I am loving both of Sling's suggestions!

I really admire people who can do food well. Cooking so stresses me out. I don't know where the teen demon got her culinary craftiness.

June 12, 2007 7:01 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

It's scary when people in Blogopia share a brain, Cowbell.

And maybe you'll find some stuff on the new blog that won't stress you out. Cooking can be fun. Although take-out and teens with culinary craftiness have their merits.

June 12, 2007 7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Seems to me you already have 3 votes for "Here's the Food."

I'm just sayin.

June 12, 2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Or you could just shut up now.

June 12, 2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Now I'm leaning more towards "Here's the Finger."

June 12, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

How 'bout "Here's the Bite Me and I'm Pinching Your Nipple Now - See? Bitchy."

June 12, 2007 11:03 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

JP-Lor: meow, pffft! hiss!

Cooking stuff that won't stress me out? La-la-la-la-la-la-la Ican'thearyou

Actually ... I wasn't voting for "Here's the Food". It was just the first thing that came to mind. I never would've mentioned it if not for the Hatty comment before me.

I actually vote for Immaculate Consumption. If you've got a better one that that to spring on us, best go with it.

June 13, 2007 1:56 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

Do the dishes later :)

June 13, 2007 5:26 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Cowbell, don'tcha just love a good cat fight?

Mouse, that's a thought. See? I open it up to you brilliant people and now I'm re-thinking again. Probably should have made it an open call from y'all in the first place.

June 13, 2007 6:35 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

How About Convivitus Ergo Yum

June 13, 2007 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

what about: "here's the yum"

(although Rachel uses every variation of YUM too much)

hmmm or try "here's the dish"

June 13, 2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Oh honey, Latin scares me.

Stacy, actually, both of those titles were under consideration. And the current working title does employ "Yum" but it's that whole Rachael Ray thing that has me re-thinking. Which doesn't make The Neighbor happy, btw.

June 13, 2007 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Since when does Rachel have a corner on the word Yum?

Fact: You want the name of this blog to reflect your unique style and personal approach to food

Fact: You've already established a unique presence in Blogopia with the "Here's The Thing" handle

Fact: OK - so you're bloody unique. Why don't you take that and run with it and call the blog "Here's the Dish" - it employs your signature "Here's The - " Why mess with a good thing?

Another advantage is of course the multiple entendre in regards to the word Dish -

Now I've overthought this - so that's the last I'll weigh in.

June 13, 2007 1:50 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Golly, Neighb, all that and no cocktails were involved? You amaze me.

June 13, 2007 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home