Monday, June 18, 2007

A Couple of Things

The Spouse called me this a.m. to announce that "Fortune Hunters won the award for best short @ SIFF. That is so superfantastic. Congratulations to Thom and Mike and all the cast 'n crew. Well deserved. Consider it a preview of your Oscar win after the short grows up and becomes a feature.


The Child got a new hair cut this weekend. She has never been one for "doing" her hair and it's been more and more maddening. The line between obsession with one's looks and not caring a bit is very broad. I've been nudging her toward some comfortable place in the middle, a place that involves at least dragging a brush through the thatch once in a while.

But her new do suits her very well and more to the point, she absolutely loves it. And has been caught brushing her hair several times a day since Saturday. Huzzah!



Friday night was the Spring Concert. The 7th grade was going to be dancing at the top of the program and I'd arranged with The Child that we were going to split as soon as they were done. (By the time your kid is in 7th grade you really don't need to see any more performances by little tiny cute things that aren't yours lisping their way through "Don't Worry, Be Happy").

Well, she called in the afternoon to say that The Principal had decided that some of the acts for the school talent show also needed to perform and asked The Child to be one of them. Crap.

Not only did I not want to stay through the entire show but I get very nervous when The Child performs solo. It's not that I'm ashamed of her. I admire her moxie. And she's not a bad singer. Oh, when she was wee she had more enthusiasm than tunefulness, but carrying a tune is something that can be learned and in her years of musical training she's made friends with pitch. And she stays on it 7 or 8 times out of 10. But it is still nerve-wracking as a mom because you want them to do well and you can't help but worry that they won't.

The talent piece began. 2 8th graders did an amazing dance-off: Irish step dancing versus tap. It was a little slice of Riverdance and it rocked. They coulda stopped the show right there. But no. Then another 8th grader, with a very nice voice sang an a capella number. Then a kid did mouth music. (OK, not a skill I see taking him places but then, I love the 80s).

A band of 7th graders took the stage, including The Princess, a girl in The Child's class for whom I bear no affection whatsoever. All I could think was that she was going to rock, being perfection embodied and all that, and the poor Child was going to have to follow her.

The bass started. Very fuzzy, but pretty good. Then the guitar came in. I don't know what he was playing, but it bore no relationship to the bass line. Then Princess started to sing "Driftaway". Badly. Really, really badly. No spirit, no facial expression (too cool for that), and absolutely no tune. Then a boy began to sing with her, also very badly. And then they started to rap. Which was a blessing, only because they didn't need to be tuneful. I sat there quietly, next to a teacher, with ears bleeding.

Then the teacher leaned over to me and said, "It's too bad this isn't being videotaped to be shown later...like when she brings home a boyfriend from college".

Yay! It wasn't just me. I leaned over and whispered, "Well, the good news is, I'm a lot less nervous about my own kid singing now". And the teacher laughed.

The band kept going, oblivious to their dreadfulness. How dreadful? If Tunefulness walked up to Princess and slapped her with a road map she still wouldn't have been able to locate the neighborhood of the pitch. Nails on a chalkboard have a more soothing effect.

They finished, raggedly, to polite (and I think, relieved) applause.

Then The Child got up. She did this little number from, what else?, "High School Musical":







She wasn't half bad. She was singing along to the CD which, because it had the vocal track,was being played softly. So softly even The Child had trouble hearing it. (Yes, I told her weeks ago to use the karaoke disk that she has). So there were a few places that went a little flat. But mostly, she got it right. Not to mention that she looked adorable and even managed some expression. It was really dark and my flash stinks so this is the best I could do photo-wise, but then, I think it's kinda arty looking.

Anyway, she left the stage to much more spirited applause and came right up to me with a "Let's get outta here". On the way to the car I complimented her performance and then she said, "Well, I know I was better than Princess. And Mom, when I sing in the talent show, I think I should use the karaoke disk".

Brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Seattle Coffee Girl opined...

O.
M.
G.

The Child's new 'do is CLASSIC. Very reminiscent of age 3, with that wonderful picture you have of her in a straw hat. She's ready for Paris, she is.

Thanks for the great story of the talent show this morning...the perfect remedy for a grey Monday morning. Great read!

June 18, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger Eric opined...

Just as a point of clarification.
SIFF has two categories of awards. The Golden Spaceneedle which is audiance Vote and the Jury which is by commitee.
FH won a Golden Spaceneedle along with some other shorts since there is really no way to compare votes from seperate screenings. but we were the best out of 6 for our show.

June 18, 2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

SCG: She can't wait for you to see the do on Friday.

And as for the show...just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait.

Spouse: duly noted.

June 18, 2007 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Whoopdeedo and congrats to the Spouse/Genius and the movie team.

As for The Cut, I do think The Child received the Genetic Great Hair award. That Nordic thing comes out so beautifully.

Remember your own almost-the-same cut of yore? That was stunning too.

June 18, 2007 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Cute do! And that pic is most artful indeed. Had you just made her stand to the side and hold a pie plate, that tharrrr could have been your foodie blog pic.

June 18, 2007 11:35 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

DJ: Yeah, the little brat has no idea how lucky she is, hair-wise. And I never looked that good with a bob but thanks for thinking so.

Hat: As it is, I think we'll use that pic for the liner notes on her first CD.

June 18, 2007 1:36 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

Woots and Kudos on the award,the do,and the Child's performance!!
..you guys are hogging all the talent. ;)

June 18, 2007 5:37 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Sling, I just checked the rota...you get the talent next Thursday. You also have to do the laundry next week.

June 18, 2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger Molly opined...

Dylan is hot and i am so sad you guys are going to be in Chicagy during the family reunion. It shall be a bore. I love high school musical. I think i'm going to arrange a high school musical party during the summer since it is the createst creation EVER.
I hope Dylan keeps on singing. It is one of the most natural and beautiful ways to express creativity.

June 18, 2007 6:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Mols, I think she's following in your melodic footsteps. Also, we are having a HS2 party on Aug. 12...just sayin'....

And we're sorry to miss the party, too, but that's what happens when my brother plans his vacay without consulting me first. Me? Bitter? Naw.

June 18, 2007 6:51 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 18, 2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger more cowbell opined...

Yeah! "Let's hear it for the girl, yeah let's give the girl a hand .." (speaking of the 80s) So ... is it evil when the rest of the parents take a twisted little bit of joy in the local Prima Donna (Princess) not doing quite so well? Every school has one.

I never really get nervous when the eldest daughter sings -- SHE doesn't get nervous with it, so I guess that carries over. It's when she plays piano that the Nervous Nellie thing rears its annoying head. I mean, 10 fingers and 88 friggin' keys, sheesh, who signs up for that?

The Child is rockin' the new do! My mom talked me into getting the "Dorothy Hammill" in exchange for allowing me to pierce my ears. (She lied. I cut the hair, no earrings. Yeah, I'm still a little bitter.) That reminds me I've got to get the clippers out for dear son. Football practice started and his helmet is a bit tight. Yeah, it's out of control.

June 18, 2007 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Oh.Lordy. The Dorothy Hammill! Oh...the pictures I could show. Hey, we should all do that sometime. Post our childhood school pictures. Hey! And while we're at it we could jab forks into our eyes! Yeah! (thumbs up)

June 18, 2007 8:22 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Bell, I consider it part of my job to say out loud the things the other parents just thing. And yeah, I'll probably do extra time in purgatory for reveling in the atrocity of the Princess' performance. I'm good with that.

As for the Dorothy Hamill, been there, done the therapy to prove it.

And Hat, what you said...let's make 'em red hot forks.

June 18, 2007 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home