Monday, June 04, 2007

On the Red Carpet: "Fortune Hunters" at the Seattle International Film Festival


I kid. There was a carpet, all over the floor of the theater, but it wasn't red. I didn't really borrow Reese Witherspoon's Oscar dress, either. (She offered but I said, "Reese, honey, pft. This is Seattle. Maybe for Cannes. And here, eat something for heaven's sake. You're starting to look like a Barbie doll").


Last night we attended a program called "Northwest Ties", a part of SIFF that showcases regional independent film-makers. Upon entering, everyone received a ballot. The audience rates the films on a 1-5 scale and the winner receives the...wait for it...Golden Space Needle Award. This is no small prize, especially if you are hoping to create some buzz and find financing for, oh, let's say, turning your short into a feature length film.

I should probably make a little statement here about my general views on movies, what with me presuming to review films from time to time and all that. I'm not an avid film-goer. (You know that if you've noticed that I generally review films that I've rented on Netflix). My tastes are pretty simple. I like a good story. I say I don't like violent films but that's not strictly true; for example, "The Usual Suspects" is one of my favorite movies. I don't mind a "message" film, as long as it's not preachy. I don't mind high concept films, as long as they aren't pretentious or boring and tell a story. For the record and apropos of nothing, I hate the first 3 (newer) Star Wars movies (except for Ewan McGregor) and love the older 3. I don't always go ga-ga for the movies everyone raves about ("Brokeback Mountain" springs to mind) and rather enjoyed "Ishtar". So take my opinions with a big grain of fleur de sel.




Right then. I went into the evening with an admitted bias for "Fortune Hunters". The Spouse had so much fun working on the picture. The cast and crew I've met are all delightful people. Of course it was going to be the best movie. But I was determined to be open-minded and objective. Much as I love it, I wasn't going to allow sentiment to make me give it a 5 if there was another film that was better.

There wasn't.

What a relief.

"Fortune Hunters" played first. I didn't like that. Granted, as The Spouse pointed out, it was better than running toward the end of the program when everyone had to pee really bad but still, you run a risk of being forgotten by the time you've seen 6 other movies. As it was, "Fortune Hunters" set the standard by which all the other films would be judged (and no, Thom, I'm not just saying that because I know you're going to Google "fortune hunters" this morning).

Now admittedly, I've seen the film about half a dozen times. Hello? We own the DVD. But it's a charming story that it has yet to grow old. Plus, seeing it on a big screen was exciting. The best part was being in a largish theater with a full house, at least half of whom had nothing to do with the production, and hear their response. Which was superfantastic. People laughed at all the right parts. And they laughed loudly. They burst into generous applause at the end, quieted for the little bits of business in the credits and then applauded enthusiastically again. There was also whooping. And a holler or two. ('k, that was me).

There were other films. One was a documentary. Which, btw, had no business in that program, imho. A documentary is not a short film. It is a documentary. You necessarily judge that form differently. Plus, the doc was about a local woman who takes photographs of children who are terminally ill. Hello? Is it really fair to place a romantic comedy in competition with such a work? I think not.

There were 2 other movies which I frankly hated. One was an arty little thing that is an example of form over substance. Another was an over-wrought thing with no dialogue that was just silly and not in a good way.

As far as I was concerned there were only two films that were remotely to be considered competition for "Fortune Hunters". One suffered from some serious miscasting (which was ironic because the director raved about the gift of her fabulous cast). The other had some good lines and the lead was quite good but it came out of a theater piece and consequently had a stilted, talky quality. Not everyone, it should be noted, is David Mamut. It had a nice, hopeful little ending, though.

I know what you're thinking: my bias is showing. "Come on," says you. "Is "Fortune Hunters" really all that great?"

Yeah. It is. It's funny. It's truly, objectively funny. Because I'm so familiar with the story, I wondered how the audience would react to the major plot point. Would they see it coming? But they didn't. There was an audible little buzz of "Uh oh" when it happened. And you could tell they wanted to see how it would all play out. In short, the script had the crowd from the start and never lost it's grip.

It's a cute story with great writing but it is the two leads, Jessica Skerrit (Megan) and Kelvin Yu* (Arthur) who make this film work. (Do yourself a favor and keep your eye on these kids). They are refreshing actors, both possessed of terrific comedic timing. They are entirely believable and bring a natural ease to their roles. I especially appreciated this after seeing the other shorts; too many of the performances reminded me of Jon Lovitz and his "Acting!!!" thespian.

Another strength of the film is the possibilities hinted at in the short. There are characters to be more fully fleshed out, relationships to be explored. And Arthur should have to work harder to get Megan back. Which is why it's so exciting that Mike and Thom have nearly finished the screenplay for the feature length version. Judging by the response to the film (which I thought really was most generous for "Fortune Hunters" than any of the other offerings), I'm not the only one who will want to see it.

After the screening there was the obligatory Q&A with the directors (and one self-important actress who made me grind my teeth). I find those things largely insufferable, with "ego" being the operative word. Thom and the guy who made the documentary were the only ones who didn't make me want to find a cattle prod. But maybe that was just because I hadn't eaten anything since lunch and was getting cranky.

Mercifully, the Q&A wrapped up and a bunch of us went up to Braca, a Capitol Hill bar where part of the movie was shot. The Spouse and I had a little nosh, a little wine and some nice chats. Of course, he's the social butterfly in these situations, popping off to talk to this person or that, leaving me to fend for myself because he assumes I'm a big girl. which I am. A big shy girl. So not one for the idle chit-chat. But I talked for a while with a nice young man name Court who did production design on the film. And I spoke with Jessica (you'll remember she graciously gave me her autograph at the last screening). She's a charming young woman and I hope she'll be very successful because she is a) talented and 2) really sweet and, when I look at the current crop of young actresses in the business, I think that is a pretty important commodity.

(Oh, and btw, she might be reading this so I'll just take a moment to say: Hi, Jessica. I mean every word. You're great in the film, you're a darling girl and I hope you have a brilliant career. Or at least see the vast majority of your dreams come true. Whichever. You go, sweet cheeks. Make Seattle proud).

Court, Thom, Jessica and Moi
Here's looking forward to the day when I can announce, "'Fortune Hunters', coming soon to a theatre near you".


JP: Please note, Kelvin was on "Gilmore girls".

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown opined...

"I hate the first 3 (newer) Star Wars movies (except for Ewan McGregor) and love the older 3."

I knew I liked you for a reason.

June 05, 2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger rosemary opined...

You look better in white and blonde? umm, maybe not. Hope this film makes waves and big ones.

June 05, 2007 11:48 AM  
Blogger Br. Jonathan opined...

I just googled it. It looks like my kind of movie. Are there any food scenes???

June 05, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

G: Tee.

R: From your lips to the movie gods' ears.

J: Not really. But hopefully the feature will take care of that. Part of it is maybe even going to be shot in China. (Mmmm, beef maw).

June 05, 2007 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Your life is too exciting for me. I'm taking a nap...move over damn cat! Where are my tablets?

June 05, 2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

I just realized that Thom is wearing FH Swag.
he sold out so young :)

June 05, 2007 1:36 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Shhh...the Hat is resting.

Cut him a break, honey; why, these days anyone with a good laser printer can swaf up their own t-shirts and windbreakers.

June 05, 2007 2:48 PM  
Blogger Eric opined...

He he you said wind break.

Just make sure the server is running. Little green light. Push the go button and wait ten minuts for it to spin up. I could not hear your call and you could not hear me

June 05, 2007 3:15 PM  
Blogger Iwanski opined...

What a cool experience.

Thanks for sharing.

June 05, 2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger Sling opined...

So who won the Golden space needle award?
I'm not much of a moviegoer either,but I will rent Fortune Hunters when it comes out on DVD at a Blockbuster near me!

June 05, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

And someday, Iwanski, I'll be writing a glowing review about something you've done. I just know it.

Sling: the big awards are being given out Sunday night. As soon as I know anything I'll report.

And the entire cast and crew and all their associates, relatives and hangers-on thank you for your support.

June 05, 2007 8:43 PM  
Blogger Red Seven opined...

It sounds super-fun.

Tell Thom to submit it to the Rehoboth Beach Film Festival, and I might actually have a shot at seeing it.

Is it possible for a trailer to be made and splashed up on YouTube for the rest of us to enjoy?

June 06, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger Citymouse opined...

ok bigshot, i am happy you are still talking with us!

June 06, 2007 5:19 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Red, duly noted. I'll email him today.

Mouse: yeah, well, one must find a way to retain the common touch, mustn't one? (She asked as she adjusted her tiara in the mirror).

June 06, 2007 6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous opined...

Yes, you're much more of a dark-hair person.

And if there should be any negative reviews, just remember that sometimes they are being written by very nice people.

June 06, 2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

JP: Darker hair sets off a tiara much better, I think. And your point is taken on the other thing; I think we all learned a little something from the great Jesus Christ Superstar Kerfuffle of '07.

June 06, 2007 2:30 PM  
Blogger Scott Pierce opined...

Oh, Lorraine, that was you that broke up my scintillating conversation with Tom and Jessica! In that case, you're okay in my book.

Considering you yelling over the din at Barca that "it's for a blog!", I was expecting coverage in The Stranger. This night, you had the scoop over either The Stranger or SIFFBlog hands down, congrats!

I'm prepping a project right now with that "actress that makes my teeth grate", and she wouldn't be surprised at your reaction. That director wanted backup at the Q & A, and since "The Actress" felt unprepared, the enthusiasm got the better of her. During the day, she's a normal goofball. On an off night, she's an obnoxious goofball:)

At the after-party, she was mentioning to Jessica how it felt weird that she, nor other actors, were on the stage as well. So, from my analysis, not an entirely evil obnoxious goofball. Thanks for the post, that night was a blast, and we'll see you next year!

June 07, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Lorraine opined...

Scott, thanks for your comments and for forgiving me interrupting your time with Thom and Jessica. And thanks for letting me know that the "obnoxious" actress isn't. I hate being snarky when it's undeserved.

June 07, 2007 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home